• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bring Out... Golden Age GIANTS

244 posts in this topic

Here's a St. John horror giant that might not be on horror collectors' radar due to the generic title...

That's a big beautiful book I'll probably never see in my hands in my lifetime but it is on my wantlist nevertheless.

What are the contents?

Is it all horror?

I'm going to be sick. That's a $1000.00 book.

Jim, you should have grabbed it.

It was gone about an hour after the early morning search email reached me and several before I usually rise. I was hoping someone earlybird here got it.

Maybe even more than $1,000, if it's for real, that person got an unbelievable deal.

Nothing like Giants and nothing like Golden Age Giants. I was buying these up like hot cakes as a kid in the seventies, probably paying between $5-$10 for most of the early Dell Disney material at comic shows.

Occassionally, a Classics Giant would show up at the flea market for a quarter and sixties Dell Giants could always be had for a nickel or dime at the flea market. Like all good comics these were hard read books that had served their owners well and puzzles were typically filled in and spines rolled, hey I loved them anyway!

Then, one fateful day at a New York convention I came across what was described as a file copy of the until then unobtainable PPTT! I have yet to find a better copy and other than that small tear at top this book is unscathed with nary a puzzle blemished or a page out of place. I am probably the only one to have read it. I pulled it out thinking I would submit it to CGC last month paged through it and decided not to as the artwork inside is fantastic and to be appreciated not encased.

My next Giant grail is a Fawcett or the BAACB from DC.

109500.jpg.5b359c713b0b6b6b74dd6c3014d36fa6.jpg

Here are several of my favorites:

Star Studded Comics (With Giunta and Infantino artwork)

StarStuddedAnnual.jpg

Strange Terrors #7

StrangeTerrors7.jpg

Wow! :o These are two that I don't think I've ever seen before. Very cool books