• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Daytona 500

23 posts in this topic

Hey all, because of my job I have all access to Daytona 500. Not a NASCAR fan but am going anyway. If anybody on the boards is a NASCAR fan let me know if there is anything I can get for anyone. Don't know what that would even be, but if it's a shirt or auto or picture let me know.

Call me crazy but I just don't get it. I respect others love of Nascar but watching cars drive in a circle 500 times just isn't for me.

I may be an amoral individual, but aren't you really just waiting for a crash? (shrug)

I am a Football fanatic and I know some people feel that it is a violent, pointless sport.

Those people are individual_without_enough_empathys of course, but I digress.

I am being slightly facetious, but can a true fan explain the sport to me so that I may see it in a different light. (thumbs u

You're really pulling for your guy to win it, and for the person you hate to lose it. The sound and action when you are actually at the racetrack is bar none. I've been to hockey, football, baseball and basketball games and nothing comes close to having 200mph cars come steaming down at you. The smell of burnt rubber and gas puts me on :cloud9: When you have 43 cars coming at you in a pack, 3-wide on back, it literally takes your breath away when they pass by you on the track. You just don't realize how fast they are going until you see it in person.

The atmosphere also is great. Lots of -talking about each others drivers, lots of beer consumed, good times camping out for the race. The stars of the sport are accessible, and do signings every race, and some come to their souvenir trailers and sign items and meet people before the race in the morning.

If you're not into NASCAR, go to a race. My first race was Talladega. I had hated NASCAR up to that point with a burning fiery passion. After coming away from that race, it completely changed my opinion.

I can definitely see being there would enhance the experience, but watching a home still seems pretty mind numbing. Watching the last 20 laps may be exciting as the end approaches and your driver may be in contention, but lap 362 - 239 seem really dull.

Hey all, because of my job I have all access to Daytona 500. Not a NASCAR fan but am going anyway. If anybody on the boards is a NASCAR fan let me know if there is anything I can get for anyone. Don't know what that would even be, but if it's a shirt or auto or picture let me know.

I'd like autographs from the jug band playing the infield. Thanks!

I can definitely see being there would enhance the experience, but watching a home still seems pretty mind numbing. Watching the last 20 laps may be exciting as the end approaches and your driver may be in contention, but lap 362 - 239 seem really dull.

This is where beer really shines!

I just don't get it. What's it, grown, white men, going five hundred miles in a circle!

What the hell!? What kinda three and a half hours is this?

"Look, they're making a left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! I wonder what's gonna happen next!"

"Let's go to commercials. Come back in ten minutes - you ain't gonna miss a in' thing!"

Same could be said for any other sport Ares:

Hockey: Oh they're passing the puck, oh they're shooting, oh commercial.

Drivers are jostling for position, trying to hit their marks, and make sure everything goes well in the pits. The 1.5 mi cookie cutter tracks do suck, but the small tracks a la Bristol, Martinsville, and Rockingham are/were some of the best racing in the circuit :)

I hope you have a good time. I went once in the mid 90's. Absolutely awful experience.

If given a choice between having my butthole sewn shut by a blind palsied seamstress and going back to a NASCAR event, I would really have to give the choice a lot of thought.

Those that don't appreciate Nascar need to attend an actual race.

Television can not begin capture the experience.

I guarantee it will be one of the most incredible things you've ever done.

I hope you have a good time. I went once in the mid 90's. Absolutely awful experience.

If given a choice between having my butthole sewn shut by a blind palsied seamstress and going back to a NASCAR event, I would really have to give the choice a lot of thought.

I stand corrected. doh!

All of these are true. They just don't convey the underlying horror.

I guess you may have been distracted by the fact that you were sitting in a giant bowl full of drunk rednecks.

Believe me, if they wanted what you think they wanted you'd still be walking with a limp.

I guess you may have been distracted by the fact that you were sitting in a giant bowl full of drunk rednecks.

Believe me, if they wanted what you think they wanted you'd still be walking with a limp.

None of that bothers me. I've been to many Indy 500s. It was louder than I could ever imagine. The air was noxious with exhaust. I don't know how there aren't multiple deaths per event based upon the # of fans afflicted with COPD. Just awful. I was not blind drunk, that was probably my main mistake.

One caveat,

If you don't like bars with massive amounts of cigarette smoke, and you are sitting in the normal grandstands at a NASCAR race, you will NOT enjoy the race. You might think that in open grandstands the smoke would not be a problem, but you would be wrong. It is actually worse than a bar, as with the breeze it is often blown right in your face, through no fault of the 200 smokers 2-10 seats away. Additionally, there is a much higher percentage of smokers in the grandstands than in the general public, so it seems like 50% of the people are smoking. It might not be as bad this year since half the seats will probably be empty.

I will say that sitting in the stands behind Pit Road at Daytona is absolutely incredible and there is no smoking (something about racing fuel ...)

Same could be said for any other sport Ares:

Hockey: Oh they're passing the puck, oh they're shooting, oh commercial.

Drivers are jostling for position, trying to hit their marks, and make sure everything goes well in the pits. The 1.5 mi cookie cutter tracks do suck, but the small tracks a la Bristol, Martinsville, and Rockingham are/were some of the best racing in the circuit :)

You havent seen the Jeff Dunham special my comment was from then?