• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about reholder service

16 posts in this topic

Just curious how many collectors send in books from their personal collections using the reholder submission form. I understand if a case is damaged (cracked, scratched, etc..) then that would be the sensible thing to do, however all books should be reholdered after seven years if I am not mistaken and that would be costly for large collections.

What about books like the famed Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 does anyone think that the owner will ever take a chance on having it come back with a potential lower grade? Just curious what views others have about reholdering their graded comics.

I have had a book reholdered after 7 yrs and the page quality was worse..it is wise to reholder so your pages won't be suffer the harmful effects of aging and acidic contamination.

Nonsense. If your PQ was worse after seven years, its because of the conditions the book was stored in. Changing the holder won't make a difference.

Just curious how many collectors send in books from their personal collections using the reholder submission form. I understand if a case is damaged (cracked, scratched, etc..) then that would be the sensible thing to do, however all books should be reholdered after seven years if I am not mistaken and that would be costly for large collections.

What about books like the famed Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 does anyone think that the owner will ever take a chance on having it come back with a potential lower grade? Just curious what views others have about reholdering their graded comics.

I am 'fairly' new to this forum, as I collect paper money and coins, but do collect CGC graded comics as well. I always use the reholder service and can tell you that over the years I only ever had one book come back at a lower grade and it was my fault due to the way I packed it to ship it to them (i.e. CGC). It is very, very rare that a comic book would ever be reholdered and come back at a lower grade (in my opinion) as I have sent in at least one hundred books over the years and only had this happen once.

My advice is that you contact CGC if you are concerned. They should be able to answer all questions you may have direct from the source. I know I am sending in currency to PMG to get reholdered and later this week I have a shipment of comics going to CGC to get reholdered.Any more questions just ask; but be sure to pack well when you send your books in. This is most important.

Hope that info helps!

Sincerely,

'mint'

however all books should be reholdered after seven years if I am not mistaken

This is a CGC "suggestion"/myth because the microchamber paper becomes inert at around 7 years. That's it, that's the only reason. It won't harm your book, so save your money.

I wouldn't say it's a myth. It's more of a conservative estimate of the life expectancy of the paper.

I don't know enough about the subject to be able to give a convincing argument against reholdering but here is my opinion on the matter...

...you have books from the golden and silver age that have survived in incredible condition with even more unbelievable page quality. Now how can that be, I never heard about the wonderful storage materials they used in those times. I don't recall reading how the church books were stored in mylars. On the contrary, I read that the church books where stored unbagged wrapped in brown paper.

I think the external elements and proper storage play a more vital role on the PQ of books than do acid free boards or mylar storages devices ever will. Just because you store you comic in a CGC slab does not prevent moisture and light elements from causing damage to comics.

The slabs are acid free, the microchamber paper is acid free. There is nothing in that slab that can act against the paper in the comics. I don't think that there is any reason to think that properly stored CGC Slab can't survive for decades without altering the condition of the comic inside. You can store you comics in a safe and have rusty staples and mold develop within months. It's really all about the 50% humidity, 70 degess and low light exposure of the comics.

Having said all that, I guess it doesn't hurt to reholder, unless you're the owner of a 1974 incredible hulk 181 CGC'ed 9.9. :grin:

Is there any easy way to tell when a book was graded? I have a few graded books I bought already graded and from what I can see, there's no easy way to tell how long they've been in those slabs.

Maybe it'd be a good idea for CGC to place the grading date on the label somewhere... hm

Is there any easy way to tell when a book was graded? I have a few graded books I bought already graded and from what I can see, there's no easy way to tell how long they've been in those slabs.

Maybe it'd be a good idea for CGC to place the grading date on the label somewhere... hm

Yes, if you are a Collector's Society member you have access to this information

from their site. You input the Cert #, grade and title and it tells you everything about the book.

Yes, if you are a Collector's Society member you have access to this information

from their site. You input the Cert #, grade and title and it tells you everything about the book.

This is a pay membership, yes?

however all books should be reholdered after seven years if I am not mistaken

This is a CGC "suggestion"/myth because the microchamber paper becomes inert at around 7 years. That's it, that's the only reason. It won't harm your book, so save your money.

I wouldn't say it's a myth. It's more of a conservative estimate of the life expectancy of the paper.

With no real-world data to back it up :whistle:

This is a pay membership, yes?

You can call their toll-free # (1-877-NMCOMIC) with the serial # and get the info for free. But hurry, they're only there until 5pm tonight and they don't do look-ups on the weekend.

From what I have been told by CGC, I'm one of the few who actually send in bulk books at a time (50-100 books) to just get reholdered, not resubbed. Mind you I do this cause these books are all ones I have no intention of selling and plan to give to my kids. So I will do it it again in less than 10 years time to all books in my Registry.

Btw, it AIN'T cheap at $11 a pop, insurance and shipping. I asked a question in the "Ask CGC Forum," and on the phone about offering a "bulk discount." They had no plans on tge matter. I'll keep praying they change their mind on that. :hi::foryou:

(so I figure some Christmas bonus money will come directly from my wallet to CGC employees around that time!! But In my OCD filled eyes eyes, it is well worth it for the piece of mind knowing I handled them all and for the plausible SCS. And if Gemma is still there, it is the least I can do for her for efforts and her time dedicated to us. She is such an asset to us Boardies and CGC)