• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic store "closing" sale (for those in the Raleigh, NC area)

16 posts in this topic

For those in the Raleigh, NC area (and anyone who's interested in coming to it for the sale), I found out a week or so ago...Capitol Comics on Hillsborough St. is closing. They have another location (Capitol Comics II, off Glenwood Ave.), so they are just closing the Hillsborough St. location. They'd rather sell the existing stock than put it in storage.

I went there last weekend, and everything in the store is on sale for 50% off (trades, action figures, comics, statues, etc.). I went last weekend, and although I was tempted to go crazy, I bought a $90 Batman "Justice League" statue for $45 and vol. 2 of the "Essential Rampaging Hulk" for $10. I may go back this weekend.

Not a bad deal if anyone's in the area. Here's a local news story about the "closing":

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9059913/

Although the article says they're closing at the end of Feb, the cashier told me that they're staying there as long as possible.

Here's their info:

Capitol Comics

3027 Hillsborough St

Raleigh, NC 27607

919-832-4600

How come they didn't talk to the owner??? ugh...I was hoping Tommy King of Tales Resold would go down before capitol.

I thought Tales Resold was long gone? (shrug)

How come they didn't talk to the owner??? ugh...I was hoping Tommy King of Tales Resold would go down before capitol.

I haven't been there in about 5 years, but I thought it was one street over from Wake Forest rd.

in a strip mall North Raleigh.

hm

I haven't been there in about 5 years, but I thought it was one street over from Wake Forest rd.

hm

Atlantic Avenue

but I believe it closed some time back

hm

Atlantic Avenue

I guess I have a different perspective, I always liked Tommy King. Back in the early 80s when I was in grad school I even had the Tales Resold bumper sticker on my car. He gave you a free comic book each month if you had the bumper sticker on your car.

I went to the store closing sale a while back. There might be something good in there but it's mostly unsorted 80s90s low grade dreck. My girlfriend found some x23 comics she wanted. The guy runnin the place was pretty nice, and I think he let her have all of them for a dollar.

All the commentary has been of the sign-of-the-times, brick & mortar is doomed, damned-kids-with-their-electronic-games variety. That may be true, but I suspect a lot of Capitol's problem is the fact that now-- instead of an abandoned factory-- they are next door neighbors to the shiny new headquarters of lulu.com.

Rents going up, Hillsborough Street re-development, thin-profit-margin operation, something's got to give. :juggle:

hm

Atlantic Avenue

I guess I have a different perspective, I always liked Tommy King. Back in the early 80s when I was in grad school I even had the Tales Resold bumper sticker on my car. He gave you a free comic book each month if you had the bumper sticker on your car.

The first collectible comic I ever bought was from Tales Resold back in 1979...

A NM- ASM 104 for $3 with bag and board (on the back of the board was "Tales Resold and their

number" stamped into it).

I still have that same book today, it is about a 7.0/7.5 today I took care of it,

but it was very loved.

I hate that Tommy's store went under. I used to go in there every once in awhile

and talk football. He played in the CFL for awhile in the 80's.

(thumbs u

I had forgotten about Tales Resold. He had a lot of paperbacks, too. Thompson's The Alcoholics Lion Book for 2 dollars. There was (is?) one in Durham in old building near Hillsborough Rd. I think it had a real long name. Anyone know if it's still there?

Books do Furnish a Room? I bought tons of killer books there back in the 90's, for whatever reason they would get in some nice collections from time to time.

Tommy was nice enough, he also had some great books...bought a NM (graded out at 9.4) GS X-men 1 there back in the day! :applause: