• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the Biggest of the BSDs?

103 posts in this topic

Fair enough, Bob.

As I said, your list of recent sales makes perfect sense, I've got a website that contains a list of customers and places I've worked.

But I really don't glean who you are talking about regarding "posses" following around someone.

I mean, is this really the case? I mean, we are talking funny books here, right?

Maybe it's just that in your position as a dealer, you have a "better" view of this stuff. But these guys seem to really get under your skin, whoever they are.

Maybe I've just not run across them.

By the way, my use of the word "hypocritical" was harsher than meant, I'd should have used "contradictory". I apologize for that.

I wasn't offended by your post, I do like your point and it was well taken.

I did a whole rant and rave on Posse's and of course offended a few who were in them. Posse's basically pick a dealer and proceed to hang around his booth. It becomes the dump zone for bags, coats and I've even seen a few deals taking place at a dealers booth. Bill Hughes has by far the best posse in California, I've referred to Bill as the "Elvis of Comics".

To answer the spirit of the original question, I think it's generally accepted that Dave Anderson (The Dentist) has the top private comic collection. As far as I'm concerned he could whittle his collection down to two books and he'd STILL have the world's top collection.

No.

Everyone knows Steve Geppi does.

No.

Does, or did? I heard he sold a huge chunk of his collection over the last year or two.

I'm sure he COULD have the best collection again if he wanted to.

Does, or did? I heard he sold a huge chunk of his collection over the last year or two.

I'm sure he COULD have the best collection again if he wanted to.

Why would a billionaire need to sell his collection ???

And why would he buy a mint Double Action 2 for fifty thousand dollars last December if he wasn't still collecting ???

And why would he buy a mint Double Action 2 for fifty thousand dollars last December if he wasn't still collecting ???

I dunno, something about his health is what I remember reading. I'm sure he still collects, he just sold a ton of comics for some reason.

What makes you think he's a billionaire? Multi-millionaire, yea, but I can't imagine there are billions in comics distribution.

What makes you think he's a billionaire? Multi-millionaire, yea, but I can't imagine there are billions in comics distribution.

There aren't but he also owns some major baseball or basketball team, and I happen to have it on very good authority that he actually IS a billionaire.

Plus I feel CERTAIN he has health insurance too.

I dunno, something about his health is what I remember reading. I'm sure he still collects, he just sold a ton of comics for some reason.

According to Timely, a bunch of the Timely's in Heritage's '02 summer auctions were Geppi's (I believe he said that the Tennessee copies specifically were his). Not that I'm complaining mind you... wink.gif

To answer the spirit of the original question, I think it's generally accepted that Dave Anderson (The Dentist) has the top private comic collection. As far as I'm concerned he could whittle his collection down to two books and he'd STILL have the world's top collection.

No.

He sold a lot of his books.

Even if he hadn't he still doesn't own (and couldn't own) the two top books in the hobby- the Mile High Action #1 and the Allentown Detective #27. Those two books go a long way towards maintaining King of the Mountain.

So... no, everyone doesn't know that.

Even if he hadn't he still doesn't own (and couldn't own) the two top books in the hobby- the Mile High Action #1 and the Allentown Detective #27. Those two books go a long way towards maintaining King of the Mountain.

I disagree.

He has high grades of Action 1 and Detective 27.

Does it REALLY matter which copies they are at the end of the day ????

My notable sales is not meant to "fuel" the ego but identify that I've had and sold books that collectors have been looking for. Since I don't keep "pending sales" on my site for months how would anybody know that I even bought and sold some of the same keys that my competitors have?

Hmmm... I wonder who Bob is talking about? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hate weeding through "pending" sales that are weeks or months old! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I disagree.

he has MULTIPLE copies of them...

and even if he sold off ten boxes last year, hes still got a "warehouse full'" more

or so the legend states..

I disagree.

It matters because those two specific copies are known to be the two best books in the entire hobby- not because of the pedigree. Although the pedigree status certainly doesn't hurt.

But... this is all speculation anyway based on conversations I've had with people, not some secret inventory of people's collections. So I'm not going to argue the minutia of this with you. It's pointless. Sort of fun for a minute, but in the end, pointless.