• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Use BIN!!! Care Bears CGC 9.6!!!!

113 posts in this topic

Darth, do you know why your ASM 300 got an 8.0?? I have one with a sweet cover and interior pages, but the back cover has a bunch of noticeable spine dings (I hate the near solid black back cover on some Marvels, all the spine flaws are glaringly obvious). If I could get an 8.0 with said flaws I might send it in...what do you think? I only try to send in books that I can at least get $30-35 dollars on ebay.

Of course, sometimes I gamble...I have an ASM 261 with a cover that has a lot of white on it and Hobgoblin on the cover that is beautiful (interior pages are a crisp white, one of the rare books I have that I would almost guarantee CGC giving it a 9.6)...I might get it slabbed and not worry about it if it does not sell for the amount I want it to sell for.

I also have an ASM 121 that is in at least Very Good+ (it does have a strip of white down the spine from an overfold, but the comic is so far from crappy good condition it is not funny), given that this book would have a base submission cost of $25.00, + shipping, insurance, etc. (making the submission costs more like $50), do you feel it would be worth slabbing (i.e. could I get close to $100 or more from a 121 that should grade in the 7.0-8.0 range, if CGC is generous).

Apologies if the above questions are a waste of your time, no need to answer if you are busy...but being an ebay seller myself, I would love to hear your opinion.

Regarding your books...hmmm, actually I am a bit surprised a fair amount of your ASM McFarlanes above 300 did not receive more than 9.2-9.4 grades. Did you honestly expect those grades, or felt there were some 9.6s that were over-looked/undergraded/harshly graded by CGC. I know, I know, everyone who is asked if CGC undergraded their book will want to say yes, but as someone who has pretty much called the grades CGC gave the Byrne Uncanny's I have up on ebay, I would love to know if you truly understood that some of those books were more likely to get a 9.0/9.2 vs 9.4/9.6??

do you know why your ASM 300 got an 8.0??

Noticeable flaws:

It is a newstand edition so the edges are not smooth.

URC - corner chipfalling

ULC - small rip

BLC - so busted and ugly

Spine has nicks and dings of which a few break color and wraparound to the back

It is lucky to have got that tongue.gif Not my submission...

If I could get an 8.0 with said flaws I might send it in...what do you think? I only try to send in books that I can at least get $30-35 dollars on ebay.

That is a nice cutoff ...$35... If you want to keep the 8.0, send it in...better yet buy mine! It'll probably sell for less than $30-$35, if it even sells. Problem with the lower end of hi grade moderns is that they are overlooked because for a few bucks more you can get a 9.0 - 9.2. Why blow loot on an 8.0...

I also have an ASM 121 that is in at least Very Good+ (it does have a strip of white down the spine from an overfold, but the comic is so far from crappy good condition it is not funny), given that this book would have a base submission cost of $25.00, + shipping, insurance, etc. (making the submission costs more like $50), do you feel it would be worth slabbing (i.e. could I get close to $100 or more from a 121 that should grade in the 7.0-8.0 range, if CGC is generous).

Don't hope for CGC being generous, especially on a book that is submitted frequently. Expect the 4.5 VG+ tongue.gif aNything higher is a bonus... They'll know what to look for. Slab it if you are going to keep it. I'm out of touch with demand and prices on this book. I've sold a 121 last April 2002, CGC 7.5 for $110 and considering I paid $60 for the book and $25 for submission - I was lucky to make anything off it...

Apologies if the above questions are a waste of your time, no need to answer if you are busy...but being an ebay seller myself, I would love to hear your opinion.

Questions are always welcome. PM me for personal messages. I'll try to get to answering sooner.

Regarding your books...hmmm, actually I am a bit surprised a fair amount of your ASM McFarlanes above 300 did not receive more than 9.2-9.4 grades. Did you honestly expect those grades, or felt there were some 9.6s that were over-looked/undergraded/harshly graded by CGC.

CGC is on the money. I honestly expected those grades and hoped for higher on the ASMs...I was shooting for 9.4/9.6s..9.8s were wishland for these except for a couple I thought were real nice. CGC graded them that way for a reason and I can live with it. These were not my normal books that are fresh out of the case and prescreened for 9.8 and higher. These for the most part were purchased from the local con (ASM's) and from my neighborhood store (X-Men). I noticed all my subs from my local store come back with really "bad" PQ; Cream to offwhite, off white to white...I'd expect White for books this new. why did I do it? Because I didn't have a run of McFarlane ASM or Byrne X-Men slabbed. Because I hope I can make good coin of of them on eBay.

I actually made out pretty well on the Byrne X-Men as the local shop charged me between FN and VF guide for them.

I know, I know, everyone who is asked if CGC undergraded their book will want to say yes, but as someone who has pretty much called the grades CGC gave the Byrne Uncanny's I have up on ebay, I would love to know if you truly understood that some of those books were more likely to get a 9.0/9.2 vs 9.4/9.6??

Understood fully, but I still needed them graded especially the Byrne X-Men; I would feel bad selling them raw and calling them VF/NM when they are not. At least now I can confidently post them on eBay with an impartial grade. grin.gif

Don't send in any books (Bronze or newer) unless it's at least 9.4 (9.2 for a major key) if you plan on selling anytime soon. Any grades under that and you'll be lucky to get guide + slabbing costs.

8.0 for ASM #300, I 'd say you'd be lucky to break even. That book (if you don't want to keep it) would be better suited as part of a trade or something.

Chris

Thanks for the answers! Your experience with CGC shows just how off-base most shops are when it comes to grading their materials, and I can see how you only bothered to slab them because you did not pay a premium for the raw books in the first place. I know that I was lucky with the meager amount of moderns I have submitted to get grades that I felt accurately reflected the grade of the comic.

I was advised not to grade my ASM 121, and after looking twice at my ASM 300 I told myself to not bother. I guess I will be selling them raw on ebay after-all. Fortunately, I am almost through selling all my books on ebay (I built up an 18 year collection as a private collector, and have gone through over 28 long-boxes in the last year on ebay, the astonishing thing is...I did not collect doubles of comics, so you can imagine how many thousands of unique comic-books have made their way into collector's/reader's hands over the past year).

Speaking of Ebay, the siren call of ebay has finally lured my LCS owner to purchase a scanner and digital camera to sell on ebay (I believe he dipped his toe into the water several months ago, and felt it was not something he wanted to pursue...perhaps he has realized that with all the interest in comic films this year, it would be a great time to try and open up another venue to sell your goods).

It will be strangely gratifying to sit back and watch people sell comics on ebay once I am through selling my comics on ebay. I find myself purchasing TPBs/OGNs more than ever now (I bought the Incredible Hulk HC from Marvel recently, and although the single Bruce Jones issues have been making sellers a small fortune on ebay...I have no regrets that I did not plunge into buying the early Bruce Jones Hulks), as I am entering the phase of reader versus seller (do not get me wrong, I bought a few of those Dynamic Forces daily specials, but just enough to keep me active on ebay...do not want to become a non-registered user after six months of no activity).

Now I understand why I enjoy mostly lurking on these forums, when people are not trying to "punk" each other, some interesting information/knowledge can be gleamed from these boards. Thanks again for your response, and enjoy the day.

Christopher H.

Murph,

Steve may have answered that way, but honestly, what is "not much"? Difference between a VF+ and a VF/NM? A NM and a NM+? The overhang of the cover has mad the cover susceptible, more so than the straight edged direct edition copies, to cover damage because leaning it the wrong way will result in permanent obvious creasing around that edge. I think this copy I have was more affected by the corners and spinal dings. But even if those were perfect, the damage due to the weird edge would take it down a notch or two....

Darth,

While it was a pleasure participating in the auction, the final cost was much too high for my tastes:

Thor 337

Still, if you have any Simonson Thor's up for auction in the future, I'd be happy to know about them.

Ariamus