• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JP THE MINT DOES IT YET AGAIN-ACTION 1 CGC 3.0

38 posts in this topic

Personally, I wish more guys like TB would post here more often. I think that they could add a lot to the discussions we have, especially on the topic of pedigree books, rarity of certain hard-to-find issues, etc. Just look at all of the great info we've gotten from Vincent over the last few months since he started posting more regularly. Much of this information isn't catalogued anywhere that is easy to find, and certainly not in a searchable format like these forums are. If some of the BSDs would post here and share information, it would only improve the value of these boards as a resource.

I agree totally, and the more knowledgable and experienced collectors that we can get to post here the better. I am all for more on-topic discussions and welcome posters with varying opinions...if we all agreed on everything it would be pretty dull around here. sleeping.gif

Unfortunately some people feel the need to resort to chest thumping and personal put-downs to support their arguments, and to me that is unneccessary.

I am desperately seeking Foot Soldiers #4 and Star Wars: Droids #7 (although commonly thought to be a 6-issue mini-series, in fact there was an ultrasecret 7th issue that was produced), and then I will truly have a complete collection. Please contact me if you have these books, especially if you're from some out of the way place like Finland and have no references. I would gladly pay 139,743X Guide for any of these books. Thanks

Hey, I have both of those books you need. Unfortunately my brother has them, since I don't have enough space to store all my books. I called him and he said they are both in NM condition, probably even better...

My scanner is broke so I can't provide pictures, but they really are pristine copies...

I usually give discounts to board members so how about 139,742X Guide.... devil.gif

oh btw...drdonaldblake isn't from Finland like me so he probably doesn't have those books... what a crook mad.gif

439218-droids7sm.jpg

I'll take the 139,742X guide payment in bajillion dollar bills please!

439218-droids7sm.jpg.d505c6a9ab85a44e42f66ac4e0360f2b.jpg

Actually, while I think his posting about all the great books he owned was ill advised, it made a little more sense when viewed in the context of JC telling him to "put his money where your mouth is." The only part that really annoyed me what when TB said that so-and-so was "not a real player." That kind of remark really bothers me because, although I love the really expensive books and some of the stuff I buy now isn't cheap, I was once a kid who saved up for months to buy a $12 VG copy of Amazing Spider-Man #14, and if some guy had said "Here you go, but this doesn't make you a *real* player," I'd have been pretty mad.

Having said that, we all have our bad days and it can be hard to keep your temper in check when someone baits you. I try really hard sometimes to avoid losing my temper on these boards too, but there are definitely things I've posted on here in the past that in hindsight, I wish I hadn't. But although those posts can make me look like a jerk, I don't think that I actually am a jerk, despite momentary lapses of judgment in the heat of the moment. But for the rest of you guys, the posts that I write are all you know about me, so if I only had 12 posts to my name like TB does and all of them were in the course of a fight I was having with JC, you guys would probably think I was a pompous arse, especially if I were the top silver age Marvel collector in the world and everyone knew it.

Personally, I wish more guys like TB would post here more often. I think that they could add a lot to the discussions we have, especially on the topic of pedigree books, rarity of certain hard-to-find issues, etc. Just look at all of the great info we've gotten from Vincent over the last few months since he started posting more regularly. Much of this information isn't catalogued anywhere that is easy to find, and certainly not in a searchable format like these forums are. If some of the BSDs would post here and share information, it would only improve the value of these boards as a resource.

Yeah, he was a barrel of laughs wasn't he? insane.gif

Totally agree with you. TB's outburst was the only clear example I could think of where a BSD talked down to someone else, and I definitely agreed that it was inappropriate. No one has the right to denigrate someone else's choice in collecting (I believe TB made fun of the fact that JC collected "John Byrne X-Men"). I was pretty new to the boards at that point, so while I still believe that TB's outburst was ill-advised, given what we know of his adversary in that particular thread, it's perhaps semi-understandable.

It would be great if more knowledgeable collectors/dealers (BSDs or not) would participate. I personally have gleaned some great insights from the postings of Tripps, Linmoth, Timely, Metropolis, Blazingbob, Rube11, hkp, etc. This is one reason I was offended by Gene's characterization of anyone who encouraged participation by well known collectors/dealers as "sycophants" or the equivalent of Justin Timberlake groupies. But let's face it, given the hostile reception many of these folks face on these boards, it's not surprising that most of them just monitor and don't participate. The only times Mark Wilson and Josh Nathanson have come on have been to defend themselves... I've actually told them that if they were more active on the boards, they would be less subject to attack. It's human nature to feel more free to attack someone who's not around to defend himself, rather than a fellow member of the "tribe".

Agreed...and I will point out for those that don't venture into the Golden Age forum, there are several long-time collectors (Ghoulaid comes to mind but there are others) that are posting fascinating tidbits about the history of the hobby, the original pedigrees, and what collecting back issues was like in the 60's/70's.

I think it's interesting stuff and throw a kudos out to them for sharing their experiences! thumbsup2.gif

The technical term is WBSD - Wanna Be Swinging D**K.

Geez Bob, don't get the anti-BSD mafia going again! foreheadslap.gif

Not all of us are wanna be's. Some of us are okay with the fact that we're small-time players, and have no aspirations to be a BSD.

How about these out of the way countries...

Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia?

The newest 7 members to join NATO

I am part Estonian pick again foreheadslap.gif

Djibouti is starting to look pretty good. crazy.gif

Agreed...and I will point out for those that don't venture into the Golden Age forum, there are several long-time collectors (Ghoulaid comes to mind but there are others) that are posting fascinating tidbits about the history of the hobby, the original pedigrees, and what collecting back issues was like in the 60's/70's.

I think it's interesting stuff and throw a kudos out to them for sharing their experiences! thumbsup2.gif

On behalf of myself and the others, thanks for the kudos! acclaim.gif Today I found something that garthgantu might find interesting. A birthday wish in the form of a 1/4 page ad from 1975. Now where is that rascal? Yoo Hoo - Garth.... hi.gif

The technical term is WBSD - Wanna Be Swinging D**K.

Jesus Christ Bob, when are you going to stop with this [!@#%^&^]? I'm content with the occasional $500 - $2000 purchase. I don't need/want to spend any more on a single comic, but I ALSO DON'T MIND THOSE WHO DO. WHAT I DON'T LIKE IS THE VERY ATTITUDE THAT YOU'RE DISPLAYING WHICH LABELS EVERYONE AS EITHER A BSD OR A "WBBSD". . Are you understanding this, or do you enjoy alienating occasional/prospective customers with your seemingly complete inability to understand the viewpoints of others?

Jesus Christ Bob, when are you going to stop with this [!@#%^&^]? I'm content with the occasional $500 - $2000 purchase. I don't need/want to spend any more on a single comic, but I ALSO DON'T MIND THOSE WHO DO. WHAT I DON'T LIKE IS THE VERY ATTITUDE THAT YOU'RE DISPLAYING WHICH LABELS EVERYONE AS EITHER A BSD OR A "WBBSD". . Are you understanding this, or do you enjoy alienating occasional/prospective customers with your seemingly complete inability to understand the viewpoints of others?

If you're comfortable with who you are, what's the big deal?

It's not a big deal, but my argumentative side gets the better of me. I don't like to be misunderstood, and I don't want to be labeled as some sort of "BSD hater" because of a simple comment that was intended as a joke. Since I deal and asociate with many board members, I do not want my points or intentions to be misunderstood. I also do not apreciate bull-headed people who continue to make the same stupid arguments, even after you take the time to articulate your side of things. It just irritates me, much like egoism irritates you. I know I should just move on and ignore these kinds of comments, but sometimes it's just too hard to look away.

Andrew,

It's none of my business, so feel free to tell me to F- off, but I think that everyone here gets that you were joking in your initial message. You should take a deep breath and just ignore the BSD comments, because you're going to have a stroke, man!!!! smile.gif

It's not a big deal, but my argumentative side gets the better of me. I don't like to be misunderstood, and I don't want to be labeled as some sort of "BSD hater" because of a simple comment that was intended as a joke. Since I deal and asociate with many board members, I do not want my points or intentions to be misunderstood. I also do not apreciate bull-headed people who continue to make the same stupid arguments, even after you take the time to articulate your side of things. It just irritates me, much like egoism irritates you. I know I should just move on and ignore these kinds of comments, but sometimes it's just too hard to look away.

It's none of my business, so feel free to tell me to F- off, but I think that everyone here gets that you were joking in your initial message. You should take a deep breath and just ignore the BSD comments, because you're going to have a stroke, man!!!!

F - OFF! grin.gif

But seriously, that's sound advice, and I'm gonna work on anger management the best way I know how; by grabing a beer and watching the hot 17 year-olds on "The O.C". smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

It's none of my business, so feel free to tell me to F- off, but I think that everyone here gets that you were joking in your initial message. You should take a deep breath and just ignore the BSD comments, because you're going to have a stroke, man!!!!

That's sound advice, and I'm gonna work on anger management the best way I know how; by grabing a beer and watching the hot 17 year-olds on "The O.C". smile.gif