• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. presidents on funny book covers...

57 posts in this topic

Mention anything you know of, or post anything you have. :wishluck: With the help of many others, I've begun a working list below.

When I recently started a thread over in Bronze there was a robust response, so I thought I'd expand it here in the General thread. A salute to mica who first thought of this idea on the boards (until someone can prove otherwise :sumo:)--and started a thread back in 2005.

Golden Age (1933-1956): Mystic Comics #4 (8/40)--FDR; Real Heroes #1 (9/41)--FDR; Real Life Comics #2 (12/41)--Woodrow Wilson (Glenn Beck's favorite :gossip:); Real Life Comics #3 (3/42)--Andrew Jackson; Real Life Comics #4 (4/42)--T. Roosevelt; Real Heroes #4 (5/42)--FDR; Real Life Comics #6 (7/42)--Grant & FDR; Real Life Comics #12 (7/43)--Ike; Real Life Comics #29 (3/46)--Zachary Taylor; Mystery in Space #30 (2-3/56)--Eisenhower; House of Mystery #51 (6/56)--Lincoln

Silver Age (1956-1969): Life Stories of American Presidents #1 (11/57)--Washington; Lincoln; & Ike; Classics Illustrated #142 (1/58)--Lincoln; Combat #4 (6/62)--JFK (but before he was prez); Action Comics #309 (2/64)--JFK (but disguised as Clark Kent :think:); Unknown Worlds #50 (9/66)--Lincoln

Bronze Age (1970-1979): Smile #1 (Summer 1970)--Nixon (with John Lennon); The Flash #210 (11/71)--Lincoln; Slow Death Funnies #6 (1972 or 1/74?)--Nixon; Fantastic Four #123 (6/72)--Nixon; From Beyond the Unknown #17 (6-7/72)--Nixon; Spoof #3 (1/73)--Nixon; Jackie Jokers #2 (5/73)--Nixon; Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth #8 (8/73)--JFK, LBJ, & Nixon?; Marvel Two-in-One #27 (5/77)--Carter (well, not really...he turned out be Impossible Man :shrug:); All-New Collectors' Edition C-56: Superman vs. Muhammad Ali (1978)--Carter?; Captain America #222 (6/78)--Lincoln; Weird Western Tales #53 (3/79)--Lincoln; The Incredible Hulk #239 (9/79)--Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, & T. Roosevelt; Spidey Super Stories #42 (9/79)--Carter?

Modern Age (1980-present): What If? #26 (4/81)--Cap! (the cover looks so presidential, it had to be here :whee:); The Unexpected #217 (12/81)--Lincoln; Coyote #16 (1/86)--Reagan; Reagan's Raiders #1-3 (1986-1987)--uh, Reagan; Bullwinkle and Rocky #4 (5/88)--Reagan; Captain America #344 (8/88)--Reagan (cameo inside but is lizard/snake on cover him? :think:); Shade, the Changing Man #2 (8/90)--JFK; Bill & Ted's Excellent Comic Book #1 (12/91)--Lincoln; Jack Kirby's Secret City Saga #2 (6/93)--Clinton; Ex Machina #2 (9/04)--Lincoln; Savage Dragon #119 (11/04)--Bush 43; Savage Dragon #120 (1/05)--Bush 43 (and Kerry); Savage Dragon #137 (10/08)--Obama; Savage Dragon #145 (2/09)--Obama; The Amazing Spider-Man #583 Variant (3/09)--Obama; The Amazing Spider-Man #599 Variant (9/09)--Obama; Archie #616-617 (2/11 & 3/11?, respectively)--Obama (& Palin); Captain America: Man Out of Time #3 (3/11)--13 total!--from WWII to the present--FDR; Truman; Ike; JFK; LBJ; Nixon; Ford; Carter; Reagan; Bush 41; Clinton; Bush 43; and Obama

Please, if you have any contributions, whether issue and title # and/or pics, have at it. If you've read all this daunting text thus far with only the occasional relief of an emoticon, then rest assured you can transcend the cultural attention deficit disorder that is plaguing the world. :preach:

Thanks to the following boardies for their contributions, clarifications, and corrections (both large and small)--retroactive too, i.e., including those who contributed via mica's original thread :

143ksk; adamstrange; Ant-Man; BradleyX2; *Bronze age fan* (who has bought too many books since May); bronze_rules; cgcmod4; chrisco37; chromium; Cimm; ComicBookGuy; ComicConnoisseur; FlyingDonut; ft88; iggy; joe_collector (who hasn't bought any books since May); kdoginohio; mica; Mister_Comics; namisgr; nocutename; oakman29; Rajun_Cajun; rjpb; Scrooge; selegue; shadroch; telerites; & walclark

According to ft88, JFK is disguised here as Clark Kent.

Publish date to this book is Feb. 1964, so this was on the newsstands right around the time of Kennedy's assassination (right before or right after? :shrug:).

scan0087.jpg

The publish date to this one is June-July 1972, so this book was definitely on the newsstands in the immediate months before the Watergate burglary of June '72. The Woodward & Bernstein factor slowly built from that summer until Nixon ultimately resigned in Aug. 1974. Mercy!

1177227-1900_4_17.jpg

Summer 1970...Nixon in the middle of his first term...with John Lennon, post Beatles. Granted, a bit of illustrated fiction, but Elvis did meet with Nixon once in the White House. For real.

And your point? I wanna rock! :headbang:

Smile01-921970-Summer.jpg

Nixon waving to an adoring crowd, apparently.

Long before the executive lid was pulled off by some rookie reporters, essentially. All going down in the pre-Internet days. I've heard many folks reading the newspapers back then didn't believe the stories Woodward & Bernstein were writing. It took a while to get percolating. By 1976, Nixon was long gone from the White House grounds. Meantime, Hollywood came calling with Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman playing Woodward and Bernstein, respectively, on the silver screen. :cool:

Who the heck is Jackie Jokers anyway? :shrug:

43285367374.2.gif

55735390938.30.GIF

A mod steps in...not to squelch any political nonsense, but to add a presidential cover not featured thus far. :hail:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Ike who coined the phrase "military industrial complex." Incidentally, Bobby Dylan claimed in an interview, in 2001, that he's never been a pacifist and the interpretation that his song "Masters of War" is anti-war misses the point. According to Zimmy, the song's really about the military industrial complex. As a 20-year-old kid in NYC, Dylan apparently heard Ike's speech. It's going to be a sad day in this country when Dylan is silenced. But for now, he's fast approaching 70 and coming to a venue near you. :headbang:

Nixon with an FF cameo. On the horn and not looking too thrilled. In real life, Nixon's whole tape recording/phone tapping system, which he had installed, came back to bite him with a vengeance. I've heard more than one historian refer to the Nixon tapes as "the gift that keeps on giving." :whistle:

30929984076.123.GIF

Good one.

Here's an older Presidents thread but most of the image links are gone ...

Presidents

I sensed this had probably been done before, but didn't know for sure (nor did I do a search :blush:). An ecclesiastical nothin' new under the sun, no doubt.

I'm actually making a list for myself and might try to start collecting these...so thanks, Scrooge. :banana: