• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the Part * of * story approach starting to bother anyone else??

2 posts in this topic

As is the case with alot of other mediums, the exception often becomes the rule - especially when the exception is popular, or serves a need. Such is the case with alot of modern comic book story telling. My favorite example is the Part _ of _ story arc.

First institutionalized in LOTDK I believe, not in usage, but in universally being adopted for that comics format. And for LOTDK is worked, as for the most part the stories were outside the regular continuity of the other Bat titles. However, the exception has now become the rule and the part 1 of _ storyline is so prevelant in comics to day that I have become weary of it. Here's why.........

It sets the reader up with too much knowledge. You know that the story arc is going to end in a given amout of time, so you know what to expect. For example the now classic 5 part story line. Issue 1 is introduction, 2 is development, 3 a few surprises get thrown is, 4 is the set up and 5 is the finale and house cleaning to make way for the next creative team. In this way the readers get very accustomed to what to expect, The storytelling becomes predictable from a plot timeline perspective

This is not to say that I dont like the concept, but with the mini-series within a series and the mini-series already out there I'm tired of this steadt diet of predictability. I can understand that there are practical applications, but do we the reader really need to know every detail, with the fanzines and all the publicity surrounding comics today, I for one would like to have a little anonymity from time to time.

I will say that I am gald for the most part that the Part 1 of _ cross over storytelling has been abandoned (IE the Maximum Carnage type approach) and I;m not saying that I dislike the Part 1 of _ approach, in fact I initally liked the self contained little arcs in some of my books. Hellblazer used the approach alot in the early years, when it was not gospel around the comicbook world. I guess its just the OVERKILL that I'm starting to object to.

Its also another reason I look forward to Conan, because the worst is when you start a brand new series that way. LOTDK being an exception because again it was outside Batman continuity at the time.

As always contructive comments are appreciated.

Multi-issue story arcs are here to stay because they allow publishers to combine the story arcs more easily into one TPB a few months after the story comes out in the monthlies. The TPBs probably would not sell as well if they didn't contain a full story arc. Because TPBs have such a high profit margin, I think that this practice will continue.

On a positive note, one thing I like about the "Part _ of _" notations on the cover is that when I am thinking about picking up a new series, I know how far back I need to buy and where to start reading to get the whole story from the current arc.