• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors - Fervour or Favour

126 posts in this topic

This is only my second post on the boards and i want to bring up something that may or may have not been covered in a previous thread but something which for me anyway has alarmingly has started to become all to common. There was a time when you could ask your fellow collector, even if it was someone you had never dealt with before, for a favour of sorts and you knew that you would just get a reply of 'yes.' This sadly does not happen too much these days. I have had many experiences of this over the last couple of years but 2 that come to mind straight away are:-

1. A collector who bought a Strange Tales #89 which i listed on ebay on behalf of a friend who did not want to sell it in the first place(its a very very long story). When i explained the situation and provided the original e-mails backing up the fact that i bought it for a friend, as he did not believe me, he still continues to hold the book and refuses to give it back. The anguish and guilt this has caused me has had no effect and i mean no effect as he does not even bother to reply to my e-mails when i replied to about 10 of his when he first bought the book. So when Jim Lee user id Gutterballs42 on ebay reads this maybe he can finally start replying to this post either on the boards or privately.

2. I asked Ted VanLiew(a very nice man) of Superworld Comics before he updated his website that if he comes across any comics with triple covers i will buy them. Then when i look at his website he has an Avengers comics #46? listed as a triple cover so i frantically make a phone call to him and remind him that i asked about triple cover comics too which he replies 'oh s#'**'#t i forgot, let me call the buyer and explain the situation to him so you can have the book.' The next day Ted e-mails me back and states the buyer will not relinquish the book so he's afraid i cant have it. Sheeesh.

I could probably list another 3 examples but these will do to get my point across which is why does there seem to be a real fervour in comic collecting these days. Are peoples brains automatically switched to $$$$$$$ when they see a comic book. It seems to be a real dog eat dog comic collecting world these days and im sure some people will sell their granny if it means getting the books they want. Dont be surprised if in the next few months we see the headline ' mass brawl as collectors spot a Silver Surfer CGC9.8 simultaneously.' If anyone has a tale to tell of a collector doing them a favour i would like to read about it. sign-rantpost.gif

1. A collector who bought a Strange Tales #89 which i listed on ebay on behalf of a friend who did not want to sell it in the first place(its a very very long story). When i explained the situation and provided the original e-mails backing up the fact that i bought it for a friend, as he did not believe me, he still continues to hold the book and refuses to give it back. The anguish and guilt this has caused me has had no effect and i mean no effect as he does not even bother to reply to my e-mails when i replied to about 10 of his when he first bought the book. So when Jim Lee user id Gutterballs42 on ebay reads this maybe he can finally start replying to this post either on the boards or privately.

Let me get this straight - you sold the book on ebay, and now you're upset b/c the buyer won't sell it back to you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The next day Ted e-mails me back and states the buyer will not relinquish the book so he's afraid i cant have it. Sheeesh.

So the book should go to you because you made a verbal request to a very busy man?!?!?....I don't think the world revolves around you....you seem to believe that it is wrong for someone not to relinquish a book because you want it more....

There was a time when you could ask a girl , even if it was someone you had never dealt with before, for a favour of sorts and you knew that you would just get a reply of 'yes.'

insane.gifinsane.gif

Yep - there was a 9.2 FF 12 on ebay recently. I have bought from the seller several times and knew that he had the book as he bought from comgeek 2 years ago and have been after ever since. Well when i saw it up, I contacted him and made a very generous offer and he wanted a little more which I agreed to. This was on a Friday morning. By the time I got home from work, he had emailed to say that buyer x had generously agreed to pay $1000 more than me and since this was all about him s the seller needing money, he could not possibly pass that up. I did not reply but was thi nking f this dirt bag. I was over it - most things are not that rare and lo and behold a 9.0 pops up on ebay and I win that from a legit seller anyway for about half the price of this book. But anyway that Sunday I get another email from this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag telling me how bad he felt and that he should have sold it to me and that he would break the other deal and sell it to me for the same higher price! What a deal. You can only imagine the pleasant return email that I sent.

I asked Ted VanLiew(a very nice man) of Superworld Comics before he updated his website that if he comes across any comics with triple covers i will buy them. Then when i look at his website he has an Avengers comics #46? listed as a triple cover so i frantically make a phone call to him and remind him that i asked about triple cover comics too which he replies 'oh s#'**'#t i forgot, let me call the buyer and explain the situation to him so you can have the book.' The next day Ted e-mails me back and states the buyer will not relinquish the book so he's afraid i cant have it. Sheeesh.

that was me sorry, sorry.gif but i had it up on eBay and it went cheap to fellow forumite drice. shy.gif

that was me sorry, but i had it up on eBay and it went cheap to fellow forumite drice.

Troublemaker... 893naughty-thumb.giftongue.gif

yeah, but this troublemaker will be attending the wonder con while you're freezing your arse off back east! 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

1) Anyone that buys a book on e-bay does not have to return it if he doesn't want to. Nothing personal, it's just business.

2) Ted forgot and (he's only human - it happens). Actually a lot in my business. I can call a supplier 3 or 4 times for that quote I need. Fortuneatly, they're not all like that. Whatcha' gotta' do to be thorough is contact people several times - maybe even once a week if you want to make sure they remember you are looking for triple covers. I don't think asking once is gonna' make anyone remember indefinitely.

3) A seller of any comic has the right to get as much as he can for it. That's not greed, (well unless you go a bit over-board on the price), it's just business.

Selling comics is a business. Don't think for one minute when your looking for a comic your dealing with your "bestest of friends." If you really want that book, you have to go after it. Don't wait around for it to arrive.

When I read your post, it kinda reminded me of a bidder who really wants that triple cover copy on e-bay. So, what he does is puts in a bid and then checks back a couple days after the auction ends. Do you think he won? I don't.

Now, let's talk about a guy who REALLY wants that comic. He's the one who is gonna' snipe it the last 2 seconds. He knows exactly when the auction ends and is there. (unless he has that service that snipes for him)

That's what I mean about being agressive. You have to be more agressive than the guy next to you. mad.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Sounds like the other "buyer" backed out of his offer, or perhaps he never had another "offer" in the first place. Nice to see he got what was coming to him.

Yep - there was a 9.2 FF 12 on ebay recently. I have bought from the seller several times and knew that he had the book as he bought from comgeek 2 years ago and have been after ever since. Well when i saw it up, I contacted him and made a very generous offer and he wanted a little more which I agreed to. This was on a Friday morning. By the time I got home from work, he had emailed to say that buyer x had generously agreed to pay $1000 more than me and since this was all about him s the seller needing money, he could not possibly pass that up. I did not reply but was thi nking f this dirt bag. I was over it - most things are not that rare and lo and behold a 9.0 pops up on ebay and I win that from a legit seller anyway for about half the price of this book. But anyway that Sunday I get another email from this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag telling me how bad he felt and that he should have sold it to me and that he would break the other deal and sell it to me for the same higher price! What a deal. You can only imagine the pleasant return email that I sent.