• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors - Fervour or Favour

126 posts in this topic

I dont mind Canadians on the boards as long as they can come up with a story of a collector who has done a favour for someone. So far i have not heard any. O.K ill start things rolling. CGC return some books to a collector who has been waiting about 3 months for them to arrive. They arive at his workplace whilst he is out and when he returns he asks who signed for them and gets told they were not signed for by anyone, unusual. He then takes the package home and opens them up to find the books inside are not his. In fact the books inside are quite nice but nobody knows he has them. Thoughts start running through his head but he does the right thing and contacts CGC to tell them what has happened. He then sends the books back and then receives his own ones a few weeks later. Did he do good like he has been taught as a little boy, maybe, but after reading the replies ive had so far maybe not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I asked Ted VanLiew(a very nice man) of Superworld Comics before he updated his website that if he comes across any comics with triple covers i will buy them. Then when i look at his website he has an Avengers comics #46? listed as a triple cover so i frantically make a phone call to him and remind him that i asked about triple cover comics too which he replies 'oh s#'**'#t i forgot, let me call the buyer and explain the situation to him so you can have the book.' The next day Ted e-mails me back and states the buyer will not relinquish the book so he's afraid i cant have it. Sheeesh.

that was me sorry, sorry.gif but i had it up on eBay and it went cheap to fellow forumite drice. shy.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Banner i dont think you read my post correctly. It was NOT my book and should NOT have been listed and therefore it should STILL be in my friends hands.

Dude, you obviously fooked up by selling your friend's book without his permission (I guess?), and frankly, it's absurd for you to be upset at the buyer for wanting to keep the book. This is between you and your friend, not you and the buyer. Sounds to me like you're trying to find someone else to blame for your mistake... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Imo reading this, : I have to agree with Banner,The Buyer bought the book off of you,why does he have to sell it back to you??? if he dosen't want to.That's your mistake,not his.Explain if you can the real deal,something's not making sense,this story,seems to be more to it,I don't know!! confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont mind Canadians on the boards as long as they can come up with a story of a collector who has done a favour for someone. So far i have not heard any. O.K ill start things rolling. CGC return some books to a collector who has been waiting about 3 months for them to arrive. They arive at his workplace whilst he is out and when he returns he asks who signed for them and gets told they were not signed for by anyone, unusual. He then takes the package home and opens them up to find the books inside are not his. In fact the books inside are quite nice but nobody knows he has them. Thoughts start running through his head but he does the right thing and contacts CGC to tell them what has happened. He then sends the books back and then receives his own ones a few weeks later. Did he do good like he has been taught as a little boy, maybe, but after reading the replies ive had so far maybe not. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was just making a joke about one of the regulars (greggy). I acutally think that there is alot of goodwill in the hobby:

Ask Ian Levine! When he came on these boards he had (roughly 90-100) DC's left to go to complete his entire run. With the help of many forumites, he is now down to only 14!

Ask Rickdogg. When someone wrecked his eBay auctions with false bids, many of us took up a collection to help him recover some of the listing costs.

Dam60 and BronzeBruce last year came up with the idea for a forum auction. Many of the members put stuff up in the Marketplace for auction, and instead of paying the seller, the money was sent to Dam, who divided it and sent the money to the comic-related charities ACTOR and the CBDFL.

We've also done a few book drives where members send in readers or doubles of books to Comics4Kids, an organization that distributes books to hospitals, schools and the like.

I'm sorry that you had such a crappy experience before. While there are always some "bad apples" out there, I think you'll find that most of us here are good people and try to do the right thing.

Welcome to the Boards! smile.gif

I sold the thing due to a complete misunderstanding. You're making it sound like i sold it deliberately knowing that i had been told not to. The buyer wanted some sort of proof that it was my friends book and i gave it to him and then he turns round and says ' tough s#';'#t you still cant have it'. So according to your line of thinking thats perfectly o.k.

Did the buyer have a triple cover comic on his wants list with Ted, probably not, he just saw it on his website and sent it in to CGC to then sell it when it would have stayed in my collection. It is not wrong in any way to relinquish a book because i want it more but there is NO DOUBT the comic collecting world has become a mean spirited one. sign-rantpost.gif

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the comic will most certainly be staying in my collection. I only sell my Avengers books when I upgrade, and I doubt I will be upgrading a triple cover Avengers #46 CGC 9.2. cloud9.gif

Oh, and both Ted and Supapimp are very agreeable people - certainly not mean-spirited.

At least you didn't lose big money by buying books from some Chickendevil dude in Denmark or a chop-top special from a guy named Dupak! grin.gif

Ask Ian Levine! When he came on these boards he had (roughly 90-100) DC's left to go to complete his entire run. With the help of many forumites, he is now down to only 14!

On the 9th of November, the post read "228 DCs To Go"

I think the first one in September or October was something like "259 DCs To Go" but I can't find it now.

At least you didn't lose big money by buying books from some Chickendevil dude in Denmark

Neither did I.

I got my money back and paid it over towards my Detective 27, which I've now paid for in full.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ian, don't forget we want to see a picture of that Tec 27 when you get it back!!! I know I'm looking forward to it!! hi.gif BTW Congrats!! paying that book off!! 893applaud-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

Ian, don't forget we want to see a picture of that Tec 27 when you get it back!!! I know I'm looking forward to it!! hi.gif BTW Congrats!! paying that book off!!

I've got a scan of it unrestored right now if anyone wants to convert it and post it, but it's a few MBs, and this site won't accept such a big file.

It looks pretty nasty though. It NEEDS restoring by Matt. But it's absolutely complete. And it still wasn't cheap.

I thought this was a U.K forum that has been invaded by Yanks 27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

IMO, there are way too many Canadians on these boards. Strike that. Just one too many. Now, who could that be? sumo.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif10_9_133.gif

Hi gonetoearth,

Regarding your eBay incident-

I agree that it would have been a very magnanimous gesture on the part of the buyer to return the Strange Tales book to you for a refund, but he/she was under no obligation to do so. They purchased it according to the guidelines set forth by eBay. They paid for it and you sent it - it's their book now. For all they know, it could have simply been a case of seller’s remorse and a subsequent ruse to recover the merchandise.

If it were a situation that involved stolen goods, then things may be a little different from a legal perspective. However, there was some sort of bizarre misunderstanding between you and your friend that resulted in you selling the book without his permission. The book wasn’t stolen, per se. At the very least, your friend apparently did not pursue it as such.

Without knowing what the "long story" is, it's very difficult to place this incident into proper perspective. Based on the information you’ve provided, however, I would say that the problem was yours, and yours alone, to solve. Had I found myself in similar circumstances (though I’m still not sure how it could happen to begin with), I would have bought my friend an even nicer copy of the comic in question as soon as humanly possible! If I were the buyer in this case, I probably wouldn’t have returned it either.

The point being ------------------->

I appreciate the fact that you started this thread in an attempt to illustrate generosity, or lack thereof, within the comic book collecting community. However, both of these examples are situations where a person is being asked to relinquish their property under highly unusual circumstances and it is well within their rights to refuse. In the eBay situation, you burned yourself. With the Superworld triple cover book, you just didn’t get lucky. It’s not exactly a fair test by which to judge your fellow man!

Some people are overly trusting and generous - some are too skeptical and selfish. Right or wrong, most of humanity falls somewhere in between.

-Jim

That is a well written and thought out statement you have made. Lets forget about the superworld incident and concerntrate on the ebay transaction. I agree the buyer is well within his rights to refuse to sell the book back. He is under no legal obligation whatsoever although i dont agree that its not a fair way for a fellow man to be judged. He too was skeptical so i sent him an e-mail from me to the dealer in question where i asked for a book for myself and one for my friend which was the Strange Tales #89. He pondered on it then turned around and has basically said nope you cant have it its mine. Why is that not a fair way to judge someone? If it was a Howard the Duck #1 that i just sold i bet i would have got it back so what difference should it be as to what book it is. Are we judging the book or the person. A person cant say well depending on what book it is i might give it back or i might not. Either you are a person of the upmost integrity or you are not. If it had been me in that buyers shoes i would have given the book back but then again you may find that hard to believe as i have found very few people as honest as myself and i dont mean that to sound arrogant.

I have been looking for a better copy and either they either dont exist or they are not for sale unless anybody out there knows otherwise. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Looks like i got you all wrong and my opinion of you has definitely changed. 893applaud-thumb.gif

you already formed an opinion on me, before ever communicating with me? confused.gif

Perhaps I informed him of your left wing leanings... devil.gif

I thought this was a U.K forum that has been invaded by Yanks 27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

IMO, there are way too many Canadians on these boards. Strike that. Just one too many. Now, who could that be? sumo.gif

893whatthe.gif What the?!? Are you talking about me? You had better not be talking about me...oh wait...you are talking about HIM, aren't you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On the 9th of November, the post read "228 DCs To Go"

I think the first one in September or October was something like "259 DCs To Go" but I can't find it now.

Holy Cow! Was it really that many! I didn't look it up. My memory isn't so good sometimes. tongue.gif