• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectors - Fervour or Favour

126 posts in this topic

Looks like i got you all wrong and my opinion of you has definitely changed. 893applaud-thumb.gif

you already formed an opinion on me, before ever communicating with me? confused.gif

yes, and they were all based on hammer's hermaphrodite comments! 27_laughing.gif

Well you have made a lot of posts and i based an opinion on what i have read so far. Still maybe i only read the bad one's. frown.gif

Do you only collect Triple covers? I have a few as well as a quad cover and dozens of double covers.

Timely

Mushroom you have totally lost the plot on this one. Of course Banner wont send me his most treasured book for me to sell because he obviously does not want to sell it and neither did my friend. When you are sitting up until 2am in the morning

going through your friends list of whats to be sold and what is not to be sold, because your friend is off trekking the following day, it is quite conceivable that through fatigue you might tick something which should not have been ticked. Now banners casual attitude of 'its your fault, you made a mistake, tell your friend to get over it' i find annoying. So if for arguments sake lets say a friend of banners puts one of his books up for sale by mistake whilst Banners away what do you think Banner would say on his return, never mind you made a mistake or would he say you stupid #@%*~# and ask his friend to try and get the book back or even try to get the book back himself. I myself would think it would be the latter. All i am saying is that i made a mistake and all i was asking from the buyer was for a little helping hand to try to put things right again, thats all. 893frustrated.gif

Now banners casual attitude of 'its your fault, you made a mistake, tell your friend to get over it' i find annoying.

No, actually my attitude is "It's your fault, you made a mistake, and now it's up to you to make it right with your friend." You tried to get the book back which was the right thing to do, but the buyer has no responsibility (moral or otherwise) to return the book and it's totally within his right to want to keep it. You're trying to blame the buyer for your screw-up when he (the buyer) did absolutely nothing wrong.

There are lots of collectors on this board that do each other favors all the time...

Well gonetoearth, I go absent for one day from the boards only to find out that you've hubristically stirred up the proverbial hornet's nest, and all within 22 posts.

Bravo indeed, but to be fair regarding your two anecdotes, life isn't fair. Or to put it another way, [!@#%^&^] happens.

I wouldn't take these two incidents as proof that the whole hobby has gone sour - one only has to look at these boards to find some pretty damn fine people (which is why I'm here). Granted there are those who are mean of spirit here, but generally they're just being contrary for the sake of it, the old sods.

Besides, how many times have I expressed sellers' remorse (like that Showcase 60 I sold you, for example sumo.gif) to you? Once a deal's done, it's done - never mind mitigating circumstances.

Let it go, me old mucker........

How many more times do i have to say its my fault until it finally sinks in? I am the one to blame of course i am ive never said otherwise. Of course he has no moral responsibility thats not what i said. All i asked is that he just does me this one favour so i can keep the peace this end. It all depends on what sort of person you are i.e what characteristics you possess. Some would say 'yeah go on have the book back it wont kill me if i dont have it' and some would say 'no way man its my book and i dont give a '#%*# wether you sold it by mistake or not.' I would fall into the former catagory and you would obviously fall into the latter.

Bravo indeed, but to be fair regarding your two anecdotes, life isn't fair. Or to put it another way, [!@#%^&^] happens.

Besides, how many times have I expressed sellers' remorse (like that Showcase 60 I sold you, for example sumo.gif) to you? Once a deal's done, it's done - never mind mitigating circumstances.

Thou speaketh the truth Andy, perchance your fellow countrymen shall heed these words of wisdom! thumbsup2.gif

Andy, I know there are lots of good people on these boards ive been reading them long enough to know who they are, and tell me why isnt life fair because most of the time its us human beings that make it so. Dont worry i have let it go, a long time ago infact i just wanted to know if anybody else felt a shift towards a more frenzied approach towards comic collecting these days or not. Anyway im going to have to bugger off to Costco for a few hours to buy some stuff. We keep telling these companies if you want to order a buffet give us 48 hours notice but no they ring us up the day before and force me to go down the dreaded North Circular at this time of the evening. By the way if there is anything you want an Action 1, Marvel Comics 1, Detective 27, and no you cant have a Strange Tales #89 that one's mine and the Buzzy 70 is Ians call me on my mobile. No doubt the Incredible Hulk will have posted on these boards whilst im gone so i better think of a reply whilst im driving smile.gif

Hi Gone.......

I think you made your case as best you could, but I think you have to realize from the feedback that the vast majority here simply disagree with you.

Or as my wife says to me on occasion...."Would you like some cheese with that whine?"

Red

By the way, the best I can tell, this transaction between you and gutterballs42 took place in November of 2001 (according to very nice feedback he left you). Maybe it's time to move on, eh?

Andy, I know there are lots of good people on these boards ive been reading them long enough to know who they are, and tell me why isnt life fair because most of the time its us human beings that make it so. Dont worry i have let it go, a long time ago infact i just wanted to know if anybody else felt a shift towards a more frenzied approach towards comic collecting these days or not. Anyway im going to have to bugger off to Costco for a few hours to buy some stuff. We keep telling these companies if you want to order a buffet give us 48 hours notice but no they ring us up the day before and force me to go down the dreaded North Circular at this time of the evening. By the way if there is anything you want an Action 1, Marvel Comics 1, Detective 27, and no you cant have a Strange Tales #89 that one's mine and the Buzzy 70 is Ians call me on my mobile. No doubt the Incredible Hulk will have posted on these boards whilst im gone so i better think of a reply whilst im driving smile.gif

I'll take the Action 1, 'Tec 27 and the Marvel 1. I wasn't aware you could buy those major key books at Costco - great supermarket, that one.

Sorry about your having to go out on the North Circ during rush hour. Pain in the arse.

To get back OT, I'd say that there IS a more frenzied approach towards comic collecting. You only have to look at the record - a lot of people didn't have access to vintage comics before ebay, CGC and broadband. Now they do. About 3 years ago, if you went to the comics section on ebay, you'd note that approximately 40-50,000 items were available for sale. These days the number would be close to triple that. And then there's the arrival of Heritage, Mastronet, etc.

Comics are bigger business than ever. The feeding frenzy is in motion, as if you didn't know, with more speculators than ever before.

However there are still plenty of old skool geezers amongst the rabble who are remarkably unfrenzied. As if you didn't know....

Yes i left nice feedback for him too. There was not a problem with the deal. I did not see him(my friend) for about 6 months and when i asked the buyer if i could buy the book back and he tells me he sold it but he would try to find it. I then e-mail him about every 6 months to see if he has found it and he says no and then id say last year i read through his story he has given me ask him a few questions and then realise he was lying. I have not been pestering him constantly since November 2001 if thats what you are thinking but i did have to get back to him now and again to show my friend that i was at least making an effort to sort things out.