• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adam Hughes ECCC

50 posts in this topic

Personally I would rather pay Neal Adams the 400 and add 200 more to get a sketch full figure from him but that's just me. Just don't think Adam Hughes is worth 400 IMHO

Last I checked Neal's full body started at $1000

And again apples and oranges. Neal does pencil and ink and they are sketches.

Hughes pieces are either full color or fully toned. If you don't think that adds a lot of depth to the piece and is about 3 times the effort as a simpler pencil and ink then you aren't an artist or haven't talked to one.

This is again apples and oranges.

I once paid Dave Mckean 850.00 US dollars for a commission.

I set it up with His Art Dealer 6 months in advance. I was told to be at his table at 3 pm on preview night at SDCC. I arrived at 2:59. I Gave Mr. Mckean five choices of characters to choose from. I came back every day until sunday patiently and politely asking if My commission (a paint collage) had been completed. Every day I was told mine would be next. Dave even signed a big stack of stuff for me while I one day and then told me he would get back to mine. Finally on sunday afternoon I got the phone call. My commission was finished. I went and picked it up. It was welsey dodds in full sandman attire with gas gun. Dave said he didn't like doing super heroes but he wanted a challenge and he liked the character. I gladly paid Mr. Spiegal the 850 dollars as dave had already left. I was one of 5 commissions to be completed at the convention.

It is one of my favorite pieces. When compared to others Adam Hughes is comparable and in some cases cheap.

If I had it all over to do again I would.

Art can be expensive. But things that worth having all have their price.

It's impossible to compare one guy to another....you don't go to Neal Adams for Cheescake and you don't go to Adam Hughes for gritty.

This piece was $500 from Neal 11x14 paper...

ironfist.jpg

This piece was $400 from Hughes 11x14 paper...

Paris__1898_by_AdamHughes.jpg

Depending on what you are looking for and what you wanted when you commissioned them you can't go wrong with either one.

I'll give you $400 for it.

I wouldn't sell it for ten times that

Well $400 is ten times more than Sean probably wanted to offer, so you guys are making progress.

Chris that Hughes piece is EPIC!!!!

Neither piece is mine...they were just for examples. I saw Adam drawing the Mina Harker piece though. The layers and layers of depth and effort he puts into these things is amazing.

I was able to get a sketch from Adam several years ago, I believe it was the first convention where he started using copics. In the 6 years from my sketch to the present he's brought in art deco and art nouveau influences into the pieces as well as lettering and a ton of humor to go with the cheesecake.

This is my sketch...from 2005.

hughes_blackcat.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Well...

The auction finish tonight,

the final bid was $ 3,451.00

I have to say that is a ridiculous price to pay for a Sketch.

I am a Adam Hughes fan

but I don’t think any live artist deserve that amount of money for 1 sketch

maybe, and only maybe an original sketch of Spider-man

with a lot of details from Dikto

but that is only my opinion.

I think we have another case of New Mutants # 98 CGC 9.9,

when some *spoon* pay crazy amount of money for some ....

My 2c[/font]

I am a Adam Hughes fan

but I don’t think any live artist deserve that amount of money for 1 sketch

My 2c[/font]

I think this is the 4th or 5th Hughes guaranteed sketch auction to go for that much or more.

This isn't a one-time phenomenon or a flash in the pan. He's been auctioning a guaranteed sketch for convention appearances for a while now. They've gone for at least $2500 and as much as $5000.

That number still doesn't touch his finished, published work which has sold for as much as $13-15,000.

The sketches Adam has done at shows have been flipped for about 10 years on Ebay. When his sketches were $100 at shows they were flipping at $1,000-1500 on ebay, and have gone up from there depending on the sketch.

I've been offered $2000 for mine more than once.

If it's a crazy then he's one of lots of crazy asses bidding against each other.

I am a Adam Hughes fan

but I dont think any live artist deserve that amount of money for 1 sketch

My 2c[/font]

I think this is the 4th or 5th Hughes guaranteed sketch auction to go for that much or more.

This isn't a one-time phenomenon or a flash in the pan. He's been auctioning a guaranteed sketch for convention appearances for a while now. They've gone for at least $2500 and as much as $5000.

That number still doesn't touch his finished, published work which has sold for as much as $13-15,000.

The sketches Adam has done at shows have been flipped for about 10 years on Ebay. When his sketches were $100 at shows they were flipping at $1,000-1500 on ebay, and have gone up from there depending on the sketch.

If it's a crazy then he's one of lots of crazy asses bidding against each other.

[font:Book Antiqua]Would YOU pay

from your own pocket

$ 2,500.00 for a sketch?[/font]

I am a Adam Hughes fan

but I dont think any live artist deserve that amount of money for 1 sketch

My 2c[/font]

[font:Book Antiqua]Would YOU pay

from your own pocket

$ 2,500.00 for a sketch?[/font]

I've paid far more than that for commissioned pieces from more than one artist.

As well, I've learned from over 20 years collecting artwork that what's worth it to me and what's worth it to someone else is rarely the same thing but it doesn't make mine worth it and his not worth it. Art is way too subjective to pigeon hole it that way.

I suppose I should not mention that the last 4 pieces that Adam did for the Heroes Convention auctions all sold for more than $4k each and they were all completed in less than 1 day each. That would trigger a "head exploding" emoticon of some kind. lol

To answer specifically I have bid on Adam's pieces before in excess of $2500. Given the market for his pieces it's not an unprecedented move, and given the auction nature of the offerings there are several people willing to do the exact same thing. Which is what set a market and creates expectations of value. Just like comics, just like anything else.