• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few questions about foxing.....

15 posts in this topic

I recently bought a few books that I am glad I bought. The prices were good and the books were on my want list. I have no problem with the books but just have a few questions about foxing as they both have minor foxing. One is a 8.0 OW and the other is a 8.5 White.

What is the highest grade a comic can receive with minor foxing?

Has anybody seen foxing get out of control? As in minor becoming major over a short or long period?

How do some of you feel about foxing? Is it a "stay away" type of book or does it not really bother you?

If stored correctly it should not get worse is what I understand, this true?

Is there any way to clean or remove it?

I guess any info from expeirenced collectors would be good. Yes I could google it but would prefer to hear from people in the "Know."

Before someone replies with "it is up to how I feel about it" that is not what I am asking. I know how I feel about it. It does not really bother me, especially on the back cover.

Thanks folks!!

well, at least it answered your question so whatever you bought with foxing may have graded just right depend on what the rest of the books look like. Perhaps the seller already knock down a grade or 2 taking foxing into account.

in general, I don't like foxing but more so since I am a high grade snob that rather own nothing but 9.6 or better when it comes to Bronze books. With GA and SA, I have no problem with lower grades or foxing...anything but restorations.

I'm not a HG collector by any stretch of the imagination, but I too am no fan of foxing unless it's quite minor. Moderate foxing takes away from a book's eye appeal, and suggests it was stored improperly ... I consider visible foxing to be nearly as distracting as staining, and it continues to be a bit mystifying to me that CGC gives it such a pass.

I recently bought a few books that I am glad I bought. The prices were good and the books were on my want list. I have no problem with the books but just have a few questions about foxing as they both have minor foxing. One is a 8.0 OW and the other is a 8.5 White.

What is the highest grade a comic can receive with minor foxing?

I dont know but I see some good answers here already about that.

Has anybody seen foxing get out of control? As in minor becoming major over a short or long period?

I have seen some bad foxing and the time frame is likely relative to the time it is exposed to high humidity.

How do some of you feel about foxing? Is it a "stay away" type of book or does it not really bother you?

Foxing doesn't bother me near as much as mold but I still would be bothered if there was alot of it to the point it detracted from it's appearance. Also would be more tolorant of it on older books as it's easier to find bronze books without it.

If stored correctly it should not get worse is what I understand, this true?

True, as far as I know you need high humidity for the problem to get worse.

Is there any way to clean or remove it?

I have read there are different ways but it is a high expetation that it will be completely invisible from the different processes. Dry cleaning might do it but washing isn't accepted on bronze books yet as there are general too many high grade unrestored books available.

I guess any info from expeirenced collectors would be good. Yes I could google it but would prefer to hear from people in the "Know."

Before someone replies with "it is up to how I feel about it" that is not what I am asking. I know how I feel about it. It does not really bother me, especially on the back cover.

Thanks folks!!

I think CGC hit foxing much less for GA and SA...and tougher on Bronze age books.

I have seen 9.0 or higher SA books with some light foxing.

Here's a good example of minor to moderate foxing on an SA book that received a 9.0:

TOS42back.jpg