• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Foxing? If So, How Do I Remove It?

21 posts in this topic

Is there a safe way to remove this that won't be considered restoration by CGC? Not sure if it's even foxing. Could it be overspray, or even color from another book that has rubbed off? Would Absorene work on this? Not planning on ever selling this book. Just want it as high up the census as I can get it. :devil:

scanFoxing0001.jpg

Is this foxing?

109913.jpg

Is this 2.5 for real?

Really, how can a book in that condition plus the piece missing be considered a 2.5?

Also it looks like it might have both foxing and mold. Mold is definately a spore but it is believed foxing is caused by moisture reacting to the iron content in the paper.

The definition for foxing in the OGG Vol II is: "defect caused by mold growth which results in a spotting effect usually at the edges of comic books.'

And Steve Borock has publicly stated he regrets giving this book a 2.5.

And it's an old label. lol

There are many types of mildew and all are commonly known as "Foxing", the mildew gets its name from the (F)errous (Ox)ide or the iron it is attracted to in the paper, usually chemical wood pulp, and all are activated by the same cause...relative humidity.

There are many types of mildew and all are commonly known as "Foxing", the mildew gets its name from the (F)errous (Ox)ide or the iron it is attracted to in the paper, usually chemical wood pulp, and all are activated by the same cause...relative humidity.

Interesting, that would make sense to me.

I have read a lengthy document published by the book and paper conservation group, I need to read it again as I really didn’t absorb all the details about what foxing really is and there are many suggestions on how to reduce or remove mold/foxing but there are no guaranties and some of the processes for the final stain removal can be hard on the paper and inks. It does state that as long as the humidity is lower than 70% the mold should be dormant and in its dormant state shouldn’t cause further damage to the paper.

I am a little surprised that CGC would slab a book in that condition or maybe it’s the best non treatment way of dealing with it. (shrug)

I personal have avoided experimenting with that problem; one because I hate coming within 20 feet of mold and two, I expect inconsistent results on both removal and how well the inks would stand up to the different processes especially if it was a silver age book.

There are non-chemical ways to remove the mold itself but the stain would still remain and so it would seem to be only a partial success.

I would really like to hear Kenny’s opinion on this subject and if Classics works on such problems and I hope he chimes in soon. :baiting:

This has been discussed at great length, many times over and there never seemed to be a 100% consensus as to what it actually is. But this post pretty much sums up foxing as I understand it.

Spores, mold, mildew or "whatever" created from an overly humid environment that led to growth and subsequent reactions to various metallic compounds present in the paper, causing discolorations, or staining.

Mildew damage to me is totally different then Foxing as it seems to affect the paper itself topically, and can smell. But that does not mean foxing cannot occur from the humid environment that allowed mildew to form in the first place.

Typical rust colored "Foxing" on comic covers seems to be a reaction caused deep in the paper itself and does not "scare" me as much as mildew, or mold spores. But the sporadic nature in how it manifests itself baffles me.

That said, any book that displays foxing is probably safe for a long, long, long time unless a similar humid environment is created again that allows the reaction to start up again.

And this is in no way a scientific report, just a drive by opinion.

Scott will be along shortly to clean up 80% of what I just tried to say.

This has been discussed at great length, many times over and there never seemed to be a 100% consensus as to what it actually is. But this post pretty much sums up foxing as I understand it.

Spores, mold, mildew or "whatever" created from an overly humid environment that led to growth and subsequent reactions to various metallic compounds present in the paper, causing discolorations, or staining.

Mildew damage to me is totally different then Foxing as it seems to affect the paper itself topically, and can smell. But that does not mean foxing cannot occur from the humid environment that allowed mildew to form in the first place.

Typical rust colored "Foxing" on comic covers seems to be a reaction caused deep in the paper itself and does not "scare" me as much as mildew, or mold spores. But the sporadic nature in how it manifests itself baffles me.

That said, any book that displays foxing is probably safe for a long, long, long time unless a similar humid environment is created again that allows the reaction to start up again.

And this is in no way a scientific report, just a drive by opinion.

Scott will be along shortly to clean up 80% of what I just tried to say.

Yes, but then Divad will just jump in and say that everything I said is wrong.

Anyway, I thought that some Japanese paper scientist finally discovered the cause of foxing a few years ago. I posted to the article, but Divad had some issues with it.