• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is This Foxing? If So, How Do I Remove It?

21 posts in this topic

There are many types of mildew [correct, but remember that "mildew" is merely a generic term, generally applied to the mycelial growth of various fungi visible to the human eye.] and all are commonly known as "Foxing" [incorrect, foxing is an observed physical condition, not a form of "mildew"], the mildew condition known as Foxing gets its name from the (F)errous (Ox)ide or the iron it is attracted to in the paper, usually chemical wood pulp, and all are activated by the same cause...relative humidity. [not entirely accurate]. It is the iron in the paper which is the source of the condition - it only becomes ferrous oxide (rust) when oxidation occurs. Oxidation occurs by exposure to air; air is relatively humid, and contains water vapor along with oxygen (and many other things). Nothing occurs in a vacuum, and the need to establish singular direct causation is truly a human condition. As in nature, the reality is generally caused by a multitude of factors.

This has been discussed at great length, many times over and there never seemed to be a 100% consensus as to what it actually is. But this post pretty much sums up foxing as I understand it.

Spores, mold, mildew or "whatever" [ e.g., bacteria or a purely chemical reaction (oxidation)] created when present in from an overly a humid environment can that led lead to growth and/or subsequent reactions to various metallic compounds present in the paper, causing discolorations, or staining. [bravo!]

Mildew damage to me is totally different then Foxing as it seems to affect the paper itself topically, and can smell. [Double-Bravo!!] But that does not mean foxing cannot occur from the humid environment that allowed mildew to form in the first place. (worship)

Typical rust colored "Foxing" on comic covers seems to be a reaction caused deep in the paper itself and does not "scare" me as much as mildew, or mold spores. But the sporadic nature in how it manifests itself baffles me. [For clarity here, by sporadic, Kenny means inconsistent and variable, not of, or relating to spores.]

That said, any book that displays foxing is probably safe for a long, long, long time unless a similar humid environment is created again that allows the reaction to start up again. [Not necessarily, but foxing alone will not "spread" to unaffected books in an ideal environment. Unfortunately, foxing does not generally occur "alone".]

And this is in no way a scientific report, just a drive by opinion.

Scott will be along shortly to clean up 80% of what I just tried to say.

Kenny,

Actually, your "drive by opinion" is more accurate than the "science" behind the source quoted by junkdrawer. :foryou:

David