• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad experience with an artist - what would you do.

60 posts in this topic

Why not ask him to refund your payment and then pay him with the personal payment option in Paypal? No fees will be charged to the payee. That way no one has to eat the $80.

Of course, good luck trying to get your money back if he never delivers on the art.

No balance in my paypal - never is - fund purchases via cc for safety. On international cc purchases fees are charged whether the money is gifted or not. And at the end of the day, the $80 was never the point. Being treated like spoon was the point.

Just me but I wouldn't keep his name a secret, bad behavior deserves a consequence.

I wouldn't do that until I was really truly sure of my facts. Smearing a name shouldn't be done lightly. In this case, as per above, it would seem he is more freaking clueless than dishonest.

Thank you Shane,

but at the end of the day, I am not upset anymore and will probably be able to appreciate the piece. I guess the guy is just really inexperienced in these matters and is coming to the table with some mistaken assumptions.

I paid an artist $1400 back in Aprill 2008 to do me a commission that he said would take 4-6 months. I'm STILL waiting for it! :sumo::censored:

preach on brother lol

I really wonder why they even put timelines to things. Rarely do they come through.

A few guys are really on top of it, but in my experience that's not the norm.

I paid an artist $1400 back in April 2008 to do me a commission that he said would take 4-6 months. I'm STILL waiting for it! :sumo::censored:

PS that's only three years, what's the problem? :insane: Sounds right on schedule to me! (shrug)

I paid an artist $1400 back in April 2008 to do me a commission that he said would take 4-6 months. I'm STILL waiting for it! :sumo::censored:

May 2006. :taptaptap:

You're a lawyer, why don't you sue.

I want the art. :foryou: It's not enough cash to go nuclear on and a refund makes it nothing more than an interest free loan. I want my pound of India ink.

That Jim Steranko Hydra Trophy Wall will be worth it Chris.

That Jim Steranko Hydra Trophy Wall will be worth it Chris.

That would be great wouldn't it? :cloud9:

I have a feeling if Jim ever did agree to do a piece for me it would be done faster than I could blink. The old school guys have a work ethic everyone should emulate.

ouch, five years. Oh man. I don't think I could wait that long

Why do people give strangers so much money before receiving their art work?

This is no different than giving a contractor thousands up front to never see them again.

These aren't necessarily strangers. I know for a fact that many people that have waited extended periods of time for overdue commissions know the artists personally and/or had been friends with them for years. Maybe that makes it easier for the talent to take advantage of the situation. It's possible.

Sometimes you have an established artist and an unknown collector. Established talent is usually uncomfortable doing a piece on spec. with the danger of the fan disappearing. It happens.

Speaking personally, I don't pay upfront in full unless it's someone I have worked with before, and trust. Otherwise I will pay a percentage at the time of commissioning and usually another percentage upon seeing a layout and the balance on completion.

Paying 100% upfront in anything but an immediate transaction is not advisable. Several artists, very candidly, have expressed that once the cash is in hand that many artists lose motivation.