• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Thor's

41 posts in this topic

I recently purchase a CGC 9.6 Thor #151 with a great cover of the Destroyer for under $500. Looking at the census I noticed that there are only a handfull of these at that grade or higher. I figure I got this for a song.

Any thoughts as to why issues from this era can be obtained at what I think is fairly decent prices. I would have thought with such a great character, even better story lines and outside of Spiderman (single super hero category) probably the most enduring series that Marvel has produced would command a greater demand. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm tempted to start compiling a high grade run of these great issues. Appreciate any insight or comments. wink.gif

Thor isn't the second most popular Marvel title behind Spidey; X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Hulk are much more coveted. Thors past 140 or so are much more plentiful than the Census indicates; the title isn't slabbed as much due to the lower demand.

I figure Thor and Daredevil are about the same in terms of popularity, but the early JIMs are more expensive because they're older and rarer than any Daredevil issues.

Spider-man, Captain America, Iron Man, Daredevil, and even Conan are more collected than Thor. Putting together a HG run of Thors would not be difficult, a little costly maybe. The real Thor collectors are much more into the JIM's as far as value.

If you plan on buying more HG CGC books, you should check GP Analysis to see if you might be overpaying for your books.

Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

Thor is an amazing character with some great Jack Kirby art (ruined on occasion by Vincent Colletta) but in terms of scarcity they aren't all that difficult to find. In fact, i find that they are even easier than DDs to find. However, JIMs from 83-115 are very difficult to find in high grade and Thors from 126-130 are also somewhat difficult to find (try finding a really sweet Thor 126 in 9.4 (heritage has one)). For whatever reason, these books are available in quantity... even raw still... you'll still find HG Thors.

I echo the other statements here. Try to do more research on prices etc before jumping on "deals". Its gut assumptions that always trip up collectors, as in "this is 40 years old, in great condition, XXX sounds CHEAP!" As the others have said, this era of Thos is not the hardest to find. 9.6 is an very HG book, but the assumption must be that there are plenty more.

But its a sweet book in 9.6 so enjoy it.

Just dont run out and flip it!!

GPAnalysis shows seven copies sold in 9.4 for an average price of $105.00 The last copy sold this month for $129.00. Usually, but not always, the average multiple is twice as much for a 9.6 instead of a 9.4.

A #150 sold in 9.6 this month for $299.00

Still, a very cool book to have. thumbsup2.gif

$299, ouch. makepoint.gif I paid the full asking price of $450 so I knew at the time I probably over paid for it but didn't want to risk losing it to another buyer. I lost out on a TOS #39 a few months back and I've been kicking myself ever since. No plans to flip this as I believe in holding for the long-term and the joy of owning comics I love. Appreciate everyone's input.

GPAnalysis shows seven copies sold in 9.4 for an average price of $105.00 The last copy sold this month for $129.00. Usually, but not always, the average multiple is twice as much for a 9.6 instead of a 9.4.

it was thor #151 not #150.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it was thor #151 not #150.

I know the book he bought was #151, but there were no 9.6 sales for that book. There was a 9.6 sale for a #150 (which actually guides for more) at $299.

And I believe a #152 in 9.6 with White pages just sold on eBay for less than $200. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just remember that one man's poison is another man's meat. I love the Lee/Kirby Thors, and some of the best story lines took place in the mid '60s. For me, it is not a bad thing that these books are relatively abundant in high grade and reasonable in price.

Issues 154-157, for example, are a terrific continuing saga with the Mangog [spoiler Warning]. An embodiment of an entire evil race, he was banished by Odin "forever", only to be uncovered by Ulik (Prince of Trolls) and seeking revenge on Odin and Asgard. As Mangog destroys all in his path toward Asgard, Thor is stranded on earth (thanks to Odin once again), Odin is sleeping the "Odinsleep" from which he cannot be woken, and in their absence Loki has claimed rule over Asgard. Mangog even succeeds in partially unsheathing the Odinsword, nearly bringing about the destruction of Asgard (Ragnarok).

There are lots of other great stories and villians, and Buscema and Adams kept the standard high for a few more issues when Kirby left.

Got to love the story lines. Even though Thor is part of Norse methology, I think Kirby took this character to new heights and set the foundation for its success for years to come. Even the modern day story lines with Thor controlling the Destroyer to kick Hela's butt, the "Doom" (Surter) episode, etc is just brilliant. Sorry I'm starting to ramble. 893blahblah.gif

Actually I learn more everyday from your comments so keep them coming. Still pretty happy, this one is a keeper.

Don't feel bad I have jumped at some BINs on Ebay and then purchased the same book in better condition for 1/2 the price so.........mistakes will be made and at least in this case you got a sweet book so it doesn't seem like that much of a bad thing thumbsup2.gif

That was the one I was referring too. shocked.gif

Now who's making who feel bad. confused-smiley-013.gif

That did look like a nice price. thumbsup2.gif

The one thing to remember is that in general:

Silver-Age Marvel's from the 1968-1970 period seems to be in abundance (even in very high-grade).

I have tended to stay away from these issues unless I can get them at a significant discount. Simply because (I believe) the census will show in a few years how many more copies there are of these books. I actually think people probably don't submit as many of these books because there already are so many in the census. I can see five years from now, seeing 300-400 copies of many of these books in 9.4 or better (which should lead to falling or at least stagnant prices).

which is a shame and a direct result of the current CGC mania. Under the system pre-CGC, these books would steadily increase in price over time allowing collectors to buy nice copies for over Guide and come out even or better over time.

But with the price spikes 9.4s and 9.6s have posted, their future looks to be one of diminishing returns. Unless we are wrong and they turn out to be just as rare as buyers today hope they will be. Perhaps (Warning: ConspiracyTheory ahead:) CGC will INSURE their rarity by tightening up their grading standards going forward?? That would keep the game going a while longer.....