• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got into my first law school!

88 posts in this topic

One other thing to consider is cost: If you get into a state school, go to it. For instance, I got into both Rutgers and Seton Hall, but chose Seton Hall -- for some stupid reason. I'd have a 1/3 of the loans if I chose Rutgers (they'd be long paid off actually).

Look, if you get into a top 15 law school you should go to it, but outside of that, finishing highly in your class and/or networking are really the most important facets. Then making a journal and/or moot court are nice additions. But as Chris points out, practical experience is really invaluable. Law school doesn't do a great job in terms of preparing you for the practice of law.

I went to the DA's office and got immediate (or almost so) jury trial experience. As I moved over to civil, I was very fortunate. Finding work in a high end plaintiff's firm is difficult, and I was very, very lucky. I've capitalized on that by doing a good job. There are all sorts of paths to success.

I'd strongly consider a couple of things: 1) if you go into business law, learn mandarin. Tim's suggestion is a good one 2) look for emerging fields.

Lawyers are a dime a dozen, but great lawyers are not.

Throwing my two cents into the mix: Echoing BK, I cannot emphasize networking and worth ethic. It's amazing how many new lawyers are out there, but frankly, very few of them are willing and able to put in the hard work. The truth is that being a lawyer isn't very easy, especially when you first start working (because law school doesn't teach you anything practical). But, if you're willing to work hard, it's amazing how fast you can rise to the top. And my experience has been with small private firms, big private firms, and in-house legal departments. (My practice is corporate securities, licensing, etc., and I'm now a corporate generalist).

The other piece that most law students completely miss is the networking opportunities: make friends with others in your class and the classes up and down from you at school. Use the local bar to meet practicing attorneys, and if the fit is right, hopefully you can find a mentor. Practicing law can sometimes feel as if you're alone on an island, but if you can pick up the phone or send an email to old friends, it makes your practice much easier and more efficient.

I'll throw in my 2c and say it's now what you know only. Who you know can often make or break a career.

Networking, networking, networking.

One other thing to consider is cost: If you get into a state school, go to it. For instance, I got into both Rutgers and Seton Hall, but chose Seton Hall -- for some stupid reason. I'd have a 1/3 of the loans if I chose Rutgers (they'd be long paid off actually).

Look, if you get into a top 15 law school you should go to it, but outside of that, finishing highly in your class and/or networking are really the most important facets. Then making a journal and/or moot court are nice additions. But as Chris points out, practical experience is really invaluable. Law school doesn't do a great job in terms of preparing you for the practice of law.

I went to the DA's office and got immediate (or almost so) jury trial experience. As I moved over to civil, I was very fortunate. Finding work in a high end plaintiff's firm is difficult, and I was very, very lucky. I've capitalized on that by doing a good job. There are all sorts of paths to success.

I'd strongly consider a couple of things: 1) if you go into business law, learn mandarin. Tim's suggestion is a good one 2) look for emerging fields.

Lawyers are a dime a dozen, but great lawyers are not.

Throwing my two cents into the mix: Echoing BK, I cannot emphasize networking and worth ethic. It's amazing how many new lawyers are out there, but frankly, very few of them are willing and able to put in the hard work. The truth is that being a lawyer isn't very easy, especially when you first start working (because law school doesn't teach you anything practical). But, if you're willing to work hard, it's amazing how fast you can rise to the top. And my experience has been with small private firms, big private firms, and in-house legal departments. (My practice is corporate securities, licensing, etc., and I'm now a corporate generalist).

The other piece that most law students completely miss is the networking opportunities: make friends with others in your class and the classes up and down from you at school. Use the local bar to meet practicing attorneys, and if the fit is right, hopefully you can find a mentor. Practicing law can sometimes feel as if you're alone on an island, but if you can pick up the phone or send an email to old friends, it makes your practice much easier and more efficient.

I'll throw in my 2c and say it's now what you know only. Who you know can often make or break a career.

Networking, networking, networking.

Sorry, but I think that is the lament of the have nots of the world who want to blame their lot in life on not having the right connections.

Knowing the right people can open doors for you, but once in, you still have to have the smarts and the work ethic, particularly in the legal profession. There are very few people in the world who will get carried by a prominent law firm no matter how lazy or incompetent they are just because their father or grandfather is so and so.

There are very few people in the world who will get carried by a prominent law firm no matter how lazy or incompetent they are just because their father or grandfather is so and so.

Tim, that's why I qualified it. Most people who have one or the other are not going to be as successful as the person who has the smarts and the ability to market themselves effectively.

95% of folks do not get jobs at big fancy firms (or get into fancy law schools) based on who they know, though knowing/being related to the right person may get you in the door for a courtesy interview. lord knows i did not know anyone, and the name i dropped at the interivew where i got my first job as being a family connection (a former partner at the firm) was a former partner because they had booted his arse out of there and everyone hated him! (oops!)

but building networks/connections and friends out there sure helps when it comes to bringing in business. you still need to know what you're doing or you'll lose it. being really really really good helps too as folks will come to you based on reputation, but that only goes so far most of the time.

i worked for a guy who made many many millions as a lawyer. he was not a great lawyer. he was not particularly bright either. but he was VERY organized, worked very hard at being organized and making up for his deficits by studying the facts as best he could even if he was unclear about legal issues, very attentive to his clients and had some sort of magic in terms of making clients feel comfortable with him handling their work. he grew up poor and took nothing for granted. he was smart enough to delegate most of the tough thinking stuff to others at the firm who did the work, but who were not good at going out there and getting clients (like the guy who refused to go to his 25th year law school reunion at Harvard because everyone there would be trying to network and suck up for legal work and he thought that was beneath him ... he made a very nice living for a lot of years because he was a good lawyer and did the work, but they took away his partnership when he hit 56 and had ZERO clients of his own).

Not an attorney, but when dealing with any client based industry networking is paramount.

Pure incompetence will fail in any profession but who you know, and who they know is crucial in the success of failure of one's career.

Networking within the organization you are employed or outside to procure clients is a skill that breeds success and covers up discrepancies.

yup, these lessons apply equally outside the law, though in the legal setting they can really become crystal clear: with the exxception of the plaintiff's tort bar, which can get many of their clients through advertising (though this only goes so far and many clients ultimately come in through referrals), most other lawyers get business by word of mouth and referrals, aka networking.

Looks like you have got a lot of great advice from experienced attornies. Perhaps one day the boards can look to you to pursue comic scam artist much like Zaid has done.

I would say good luck but not sure luck has much to with it. Work hard and go get it!