• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where would you rate Micheline/McFarlane ASM Run...

85 posts in this topic

I was excited to see solicited in this months Previews that the Micheline/McFarlane ASM run will be collected in omnibus format.

I was wondering where you as a reader put this run in the grand scheme of all ASM stories/teams.

Look forward to some good input on the subject! :popcorn:

I have never read the run, but have read a few books, I have always wanted to pick those books up but just can't seem to bring myself to pony up the dough for "moderns" especially ASM 300.

I would like to pick up trades, or perhaps this collective omnibus ( provided it is a color omnibus ).

I enjoyed the heck out of it as a kid. I'll be buying the book, no question about it. And even if it's not as great as I remember it being, it'll be great to reminisce what it was like to head to the comic shop to buy ASM oh so many years ago.

Love the art, Mcfarlane really was leaps and bounds ahead of other artist at the time. Michelenie is a decent writer, the stories were fun but the PP/MJ relationship was a little too much for me, I feel that it occupied too much of the story. I loved Mcfarlanes interpretation of MJ, his rendition was the best MJ IMO. I haven't read the Assassination Plot yet.

Overall, it's a A-/B+ for me.

I think for most collectors if they enjoyed Spider-Man pre-McFarlane, this won't hold much value for them. However, collectors who are didn't collect Spider-Man or who valued McFarlane's work will value the run. obviously.

I enjoyed his work on X-Force quite a bit, but personally didn't really like the ASM run. I tend to have enjoyed the earlier issues from about 100-200.

I think for most collectors if they enjoyed Spider-Man pre-McFarlane, this won't hold much value for them. However, collectors who are didn't collect Spider-Man or who valued McFarlane's work will value the run. obviously.

I enjoyed his work on X-Force quite a bit, but personally didn't really like the ASM run. I tend to have enjoyed the earlier issues from about 100-200.

I would agree with this, I am product of the bronze age as that was the era of my childhood. the absolute best ASM from that time period is #122, I loved it as a kid, and even today it has stood the test of time IMHO

Mcfarlane did not draw X-Force that was Liefeld. I enjoyed the Mcfarlane Amazing's. Actually, these are the issues that made me serious comic colletor. I looked forward to them every month and twice a month in the summer! :headbang:

About a year ago I bought all 3 Mcfarlane visionarie TPB reprinting the whole run. They were not as good as I remembered but I still enjoyed them. The covers still stand out and have some killer artwork. Everytime I look at one I still get :cloud9:

I especially love #316, by far my favorite.

I was excited to see solicited in this months Previews that the Micheline/McFarlane ASM run will be collected in omnibus format.

I was wondering where you as a reader put this run in the grand scheme of all ASM stories/teams.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. It was my introduction to Spiderman, through back issues. Loved every bit of it. Michelinie's writing blossomed with McFarlane's art, and they took full advantage of Spidey's Rogue's Gallery. My first "new" issue of Spidey was #332 or #333, so I missed out new, but just barely.

Loved every minute of it, except McFarlane's rushed art jobs in #321-323, and Rubenstein's AWFUL inks in #304 (not to mention McLeod's burial of #298 and #299.)

It is, to me, the quintessential Spiderman.

As far as the run goes, it was the last great Renaissance for Spidey, and everything since has been boring (Spidey's parents, endless Venom repeats) to downright awful (the clone garbage, Norman Osborn and Gewn Stacy? :eyeroll: )

Compared to the rest, the Hobgoblin saga was pretty awesome, and early Bronze was hummin'....I'd put the McFarlane era in the top 3 of Spidey runs in the last 50 (!) years.

I especially love #316, by far my favorite.

then you'll love this:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=478363&GSub=75096

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

I have seen this before but never get tired of looking at it. I do have the image saved. I wonder what was paid and what it would bring in today. This cover would be a true grail for me. I would trade my whole comic collection for it! (worship)

Loved it, loved it, loved it. It was my introduction to Spiderman, through back issues. Loved every bit of it. Michelinie's writing blossomed with McFarlane's art, and they took full advantage of Spidey's Rogue's Gallery. My first "new" issue of Spidey was #332 or #333, so I missed out new, but just barely.

Loved every minute of it, except McFarlane's rushed art jobs in #321-323, and Rubenstein's AWFUL inks in #304 (not to mention McLeod's burial of #298 and #299.)

As far as the run goes, it was the last great Renaissance for Spidey, and everything since has been boring (Spidey's parents, endless Venom repeats) to downright awful (the clone garbage, Norman Osborn and Gewn Stacy? :eyeroll: )

Compared to the rest, the Hobgoblin saga was pretty awesome, and early Bronze was hummin'....I'd put the McFarlane era in the top 3 of Spidey runs in the last 50 (!) years.

You know, I agree 100% with you on this, I loved the Hobgoblin saga as well (wish I could find the trade) Mcfarlane was the man!

I jumped in to comics and ASM right before McFarlane's run. I loved it! I'll be buying the omni for sure. I've been looking out for cheap copies of the trades, but having them all in one Omni is preferable.

The new ASM stuff has been nothing short of fantastic. Brand New Day through the current stuff has me loving Spidey again. The old-timers here will say it sucks without ever having read a page, but it's the best Spidey in quite a while, IMO.

Of course, the art doesn't compare to TM.

Solid middle-of-the-road Spidey, pretty readable, and if you were coming fresh to the art I'm sure it looked dynamic as hell. To us oldtimers though, it pales compared to Ditko, although McFarlane had enough quirky styles and poses for ol' Pete that even us coots thought kindly of it for a while.

A bit too scritchyscratchy for my taste. I grew up on Manning and Swan and the whole Marvel Bullpen, so busy art doesn't quite cut it for me.

Not as good as Ditko or Romita or Frenz, but better than many

You know, I agree 100% with you on this, I loved the Hobgoblin saga as well (wish I could find the trade) Mcfarlane was the man!

If you loved the Hobgoblin saga, get the tpb 'Hobgoblin Lives', written by Roger Stern. It's how he intended the story to end, before the interoffice squabbles of DeFalco, David and Owsley botched it up.