• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question/Help--Christianity Displayed in Comics/Graphic Novels

46 posts in this topic

Anyone mention Daredevil yet?

Definitely Daredevil: Born Again.

Also Sandman: A Season of Mists, though of course Lucifer comes off looking somewhat better than Yahweh in that one.

Alan Moore's Phantom Stranger origin in Secret Origins.

I forget what the comic is, but there's that crazy Liefeld Jesus thing

robjesus1.jpg

Missed that one completely. Does anyone know the title?

That is The Godyssey #1.

I read that one as a kid. One of the villains was a televangelist, wasn't he?

(thumbs u

A televangelist as a villain? :think: There was someone somewhere that first became suspicious of the gospel being folded into the medium of television. Marshall McLuhan, Neil Postman...someone was there first. Not to say there aren't some honest souls out there in TV land laboring sincerely for the gospel, but the biases of TV--its inherent values of entertainment, convenience, simplicity, passiveness, etc.--are begging for a villain to burst on the scene. All that "Let me tell you how you can save your soul" in 30 seconds or less. That's pretty much the influence of TV from what I can gather. Bumper stickers. I have a theory (no proof yet) that bumper stickers had to arrive, en masse, not long after TV. "The Bible said it. I believe it. That settles it." That kind of anti-intellectual nonsense that exists in some church folk circles.

"Come let us reason together," said Isaiah. But who's got time for any reasoned debate in TV land? Lo, beware the televangelist...may he/she overcome their own stereotype. :whistle:

Rant over. But it felt really good. :preach:

Certainly The Sandman makes heavy use of Judeo-Christian iconography and mythology (as well as other belief systems ancient and modern).

Jim Corrigan was sent back from the afterlife as the Spectre by a very much Judeo-Christian to punish evil-doers.

Someone mentioned the controversial Ghost Rider issues already I think.