• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new month, new Pedigree

55 posts in this topic

Perhaps but collections of 5,000+ books [Rocky Mountain] and now the Twin Cities [6,000+ books] in high grade probably deserve to be called pedigrees.
I agree, but you would maybe agree it is dropping the premium (a little?) that pedigree books command. Many are just being treated like any other book in the same grade.

I'm not so sure. I would not be shocked if multiple board members had collections of that caliber. Does every one that comes up deserve pedigree status? This "devalues" the idea of a pedigree in my opinion. Pedigrees are supposed to be rare freaks of nature. Now we get a new one several times a year.

It wasn't too long ago when many people here speculated that we wouldn't see any more significant pedigree collections surface. I'm glad they were wrong.

You're in luck. I think there are plenty more old Silver OO collections that will trickle to market as the owners age.

I'm not so sure. I would not be shocked if multiple board members had collections of that caliber. Does every one that comes up deserve pedigree status? This "devalues" the idea of a pedigree in my opinion. Pedigrees are supposed to be rare freaks of nature. Now we get a new one several times a year.

If it devalues legacy pedigrees... maybe they were overvalued in the first place, as many other original owner collections sat unknown. With a few hundred million Americans, it shouldn't be a surprise that there are a few dozen big collections of funny books; in that respect, they may be relatively rare, but less so than originally thought.