• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new month, new Pedigree

55 posts in this topic

Pedigree designations appear to have become nothing more than a marketing tool for the larger dealers/auction houses.

This has virtually always been the purpose of pedigrees.

That said, at this point in the life of the hobby I say bring it on. The more provenance information that is preserved on any given book, the better.

I'm not so sure. I would not be shocked if multiple board members had collections of that caliber. Does every one that comes up deserve pedigree status? This "devalues" the idea of a pedigree in my opinion. Pedigrees are supposed to be rare freaks of nature. Now we get a new one several times a year.

let the market sort out which ones are true, better accepted pedigrees.

we all know the Oakland collection was a gift "pedigree"

and Susha News is weak in the keys and early numbers.

Pedigree designations appear to have become nothing more than a marketing tool for the larger dealers/auction houses.

This has virtually always been the purpose of pedigrees.

That said, at this point in the life of the hobby I say bring it on. The more provenance information that is preserved on any given book, the better.

True'dat, true'dat . . . :grin:

I'm not so sure. I would not be shocked if multiple board members had collections of that caliber. Does every one that comes up deserve pedigree status? This "devalues" the idea of a pedigree in my opinion. Pedigrees are supposed to be rare freaks of nature. Now we get a new one several times a year.

I agree with you on this, since I joined these boards last year I have seen 3 new pedigree collections come out....maybe more. I can't remember them all anymore! :ohnoez: They do look like nice books just the same....wish I could play.

I have heard some about this local collection for a dealer who saw it and encouraged

the owners to use Heritage. As far as I know, it has a lot of high grade silver aged

books (Marvel, DC, and others).

I have no reason to argue about it being a pedigree collection.

I also expect that we will see equally good SA collections becoming pedigrees

every so often (not every year but several each decade). New GA pedigrees

will show up but maybe once or twice a decade.

I love new pedigrees. Always unusual high-grade books to be had. But saying that, the Avengers 25 9.8 has a bad case of distributor's ink. I hope they are not all like that.

The problem I started having with pedigree books is that they really are, in many cases, not the nicest or nicest known books.

They are nice, do not get me wrong. But I have seen plenty of HG books that are not Pedigree books that are nicer than they pedigree copies of i have owned.

It wasn't too long ago when many people here speculated that we wouldn't see any more significant pedigree collections surface. I'm glad they were wrong.

We`ve seen more collections that CGC has given the pedigree designation to. However, it`s debatable whether any of those collections are "significant".

So far, we've seen the JIM83 is 8.5 white, the ASM1 is 9.0 ow/w and the TOS39 is 9.2 ow/w. Sounds like there are early Spideys that graded 9.6. This looks like it may be a significant Marvel collection (breadth plus high grade keys). There hasn't been a significant one since the Pacific Coast collection came to market in '99.

It wasn't too long ago when many people here speculated that we wouldn't see any more significant pedigree collections surface. I'm glad they were wrong.

This gets my post of the yaer because it is 100% spot on. If people stop and think about how many really nice collections (GA included) have popped up the last few year, they would realize the number of CGC high grade copies is a small fraction of what exists out there. This is pure speculation but if the number of high grade copies represent more than 10% of what is out there, I would be shocked beyond belief. I base this number on the number of collectors I know that have entirely ungraded collections.

i would disagree here

i think Rocky mountain is a true pedigree

On what basis? Because lots of 9.6 and 9.8 books from 1965 onwards is pedigree worthy? If so, why do you think that Oakland was a "gift" pedigree?

Savannah also but of inferior paper quality

Jury's still out. Seems to have more breadth, and it has keys unlike RM, but not many really high grade keys so far. But we have yet to see the Marvels (I'm assuming there are Marvels given the size of the collection). Plus, the books just don`t look that fresh (at least from the scans).

susha news- weak on keys in high grade

See my comments above regarding RM.

i would disagree here

i think Rocky mountain is a true pedigree

My point is that the Rocky Mountain, Savannah, and Susha News collections aren't significant Marvel pedigrees in the sense that they lack the keys in high grade. Sure, they're pedigree collections in many people's eyes, but they don't rank with the best (PC, Curator, Mass, White Mtn) in terms of the key Marvel comics.

And Tim: several of the Marvel #1s from the Savannah collection have been graded, and they don't measure up (c/ow comics with 7.0-8.0 grades, like the toasty-looking X-Men #1).