• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World T.O.

80 posts in this topic

It says 4:00PM on the ticket company's site?

But yes last year it was earlier and very nice and relaxed upon entering.

I don't really anticipate that big a crowd this year but I hope I'm wrong.

They change the time they open the doors on friday. Last year was at 12 noon, but this year they're stating at 5:00pm.

it was nice that they started at 12, not a lot of people, you can browse, and look and even compare prices from one dealer to another, you can even take your time talking to artist/writers and not be pressure that somebody's behind you and cursing.

anybody knows why the change the friday start time??

It'll be to save a day's rental at the DE Centre, most likely. Opening at 5pm means load-in can be done that day.

They change the time they open the doors on friday. Last year was at 12 noon, but this year they're stating at 5:00pm.

it was nice that they started at 12, not a lot of people, you can browse, and look and even compare prices from one dealer to another, you can even take your time talking to artist/writers and not be pressure that somebody's behind you and cursing.

anybody knows why the change the friday start time??

It'll be to save a day's rental at the DE Centre, most likely. Opening at 5pm means load-in can be done that day.

I think Load in is still done Thursday

Great to see so many US dealers support the show last year. It was the best time I've had at a Toronto con: lots of comics, and no crowds. Especially on Friday afternoon.

But combine the sparse attendance last year with C2E2 falling on the same weekend this year, and no wonder none of those dealers are back at WW Toronto this year. Shame. I'll still go on Friday, but I'm not expecting much. I'll likely end up buying a few $3 books from Wes, poke around the massive Paradise setup, and do a "drive by" of the 2 or 3 other comic dealers.

Has anyone officially confirmed the opening time on Friday?

The opening time will be 4pm on Friday. Unfortunately Bruno and I will not be going until Saturday or Sunday because of prior commitments. Just wanted everyone's opinion on last year - what was slower first thing Saturday or Sunday morning?

I was there all three days. It was equally slow both mornings. And I don't think it'll be any better this year. There's still a general lack of awareness vs. FanExpo, the location is a bit off the beaten track, and the show has fewer exhibitors and celebs than last year.

Yeah, I know the the Direct Energy Centre is easily accessible by TTC or car, but at this time of year when the weather is still dicey, it seems like it's at the ends of the earth. Unlike the MTCC, there's nothing to do in the immediate vicinity except stare out at the cold grey concrete of the empty Exhibition grounds.

And let's face it: it's not the comic dealers that are the biggest draw to these shows. For the average person, it's the celebs and being part of the "scene". There's not much of a scene at WWTO.

I think this year might be better.

It is March Break in Canada and some kids are off.

Plus it is not near Easter week like last years was.

I am doing some volunteer work there this weekend so I might seem some of yo down there.

Great to see so many US dealers support the show last year. It was the best time I've had at a Toronto con: lots of comics, and no crowds. Especially on Friday afternoon.

But combine the sparse attendance last year with C2E2 falling on the same weekend this year, and no wonder none of those dealers are back at WW Toronto this year. Shame. I'll still go on Friday, but I'm not expecting much. I'll likely end up buying a few $3 books from Wes, poke around the massive Paradise setup, and do a "drive by" of the 2 or 3 other comic dealers.

Has anyone officially confirmed the opening time on Friday?

It's a true shame that C2E2 pushed so hard to have their con on the same day as Wizard's. I'm sure plenty of east coast dealers could have done both shows (everybody wins...fans, dealers) instead of trying to squeak WW out of the picture (nobody wins).

I really gotta say on the record that $33 is too much money for a one day pass to a show like this.

I'm going but I resent the price.

I have to agree. It was iffy if I was going and the cost was the deciding factor. There is a free show a month away and while I love to go to shows it seems like the same dealers are pretty much at all of them.

I really gotta say on the record that $33 is too much money for a one day pass to a show like this.

You think that is bad, I bought a three day and I can't see any reason for me to make the long trek for another day after what I saw at the show today.

What was worse was I bought the overpriced VIP package last year :tonofbricks:

I hope they get a better date for Toronto next year, if they are still around then. :(

You think that is bad, I bought a three day and I can't see any reason for me to make the long trek for another day after what I saw at the show today. :(

Yeah, I did the same. I got there just after 4pm and was done by 5pm, and that included a half hour chat with Wes.

You know a show is bad when even 1,000,000 Comics bails on it. He had a booth with a sign on it, but it was empty, and by 4:30 someone had taken the sign down.

There were fewer dealers at WWTO than at the 1-day HobbyStar shows at MTCC.

• Wes with 2 tables instead of his usual 6+ tables.

• Paradise with about 10 tables, but mostly the same $2-3 books they brought last year.

• A couple of booths that appeared to me to be private collectors who decided to try their luck selling at a con. One had a bunch of upper mid-grade slabs, the other had a random assortment of silver raw.

• Did I miss anyone? Pendragon had TPBs and HCs.

I feel like I should go back on Sunday just because I have the 3-day pass. But I can't think of a good reason why I'd go.

PREDICTION: WWTO won't be back next year.

Just great - thanks for the info Drew. Bruno and I are going this morning at 10. Please tell me there will be something for our daughters to do or see?

They can get their photo taken at the Harry Potter booth, dressed as Harry Potter, and get a free print out of it. I thought it was cool. Aside from that, I don't remember seeing much else.