• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World T.O.

80 posts in this topic

I wonder if they are booking the same hall as this year or last year?

Last years hall was almost twice as large (80%) and if they truly did have bigger crowds , not just the same size or smaller in a smaller room, I would expect them to upsize back to last years one.

I went back this afternoon to take some books to the CGC booth and use my Collectors' Society voucher.

Crowds were adequate. Certainly busier than Friday, but I wouldn't have called it "busy" by any means. When I arrived at 2 pm there were no lines to buy tickets. There were 3 or 4 people at Wes Hagan's booth when I dropped by. Wes told me that Saturday was very busy, but things had slowed down considerably on Sunday. The aisles weren't congested at all. A few celebs had half a dozen people waiting in line to meet them, but others were twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone to come and talk to them.

I didn't go by the sketch area, since it's not my thing, so I can't comment on how busy it was.

I do hope the show returns next year, but if they hope to attract collectors, they'll have to make sure the show isn't the same weekend as one of the big US shows, and they'll have to work hard to entice more dealers to attend. I'm not inclined to spend $33/day admission for the privilege of buying $3 books from Wes, Paradise and 1,000,000 Comics.

(1,000,000 Comics did finally show up, BTW. They must have arrived on Saturday morning.)

Where is the $33 per day people keep mentioning? I was charged $38 at the door Friday.

Advance Tickets?

I thought advance tickets were $25? Which is what I expected to pay when I got there only to be told $38.

I do hope the show returns next year, but if they hope to attract collectors, they'll have to make sure the show isn't the same weekend as one of the big US shows, and they'll have to work hard to entice more dealers to attend. I'm not inclined to spend $33/day admission for the privilege of buying $3 books from Wes, Paradise and 1,000,000 Comics.

Wizard had the show booked a year in advance, last year when there were no other cons booked on the same day. What seems to have happened is that Reed booked C2E2 on the same day as WW T.O. after Wizard had already chosen the date. It's a shame as the dealers and collectors lose out big time. I'm sure many dealers would have done both shows if they have been a week apart.

I can see why they did it though as it seems that last year WW tried to step in on Reed by dancing their dates around the New York Comic Con so I suppose Reed though turnabout was fair play.

Where is the $33 per day people keep mentioning? I was charged $38 at the door Friday.

Advance Tickets?

I thought advance tickets were $25? Which is what I expected to pay when I got there only to be told $38.

I will be putting together a report and "a comic collectors take" on the con tonight but I want to clear this up:

Advance Tickets were tickets bought online for $25 and ........ wait for it ............ an $8.13 Service Fee! Hence $33.

After the advance ended on Friday it was $38 for a one day ticket. The same formula was used for the 3-day and VIP.

Definitely more than last year where Bruno and I picked them up directly at Paradise for $25.

As for the earlier mentioned student et all ticket price - I scoured the Facebook and WWTO site and saw nothing about a $5 ticket. Could this have been for a limited time only?

Advance Tickets?

I will be putting together a report and "a comic collectors take" on the con tonight but I want to clear this up:

Advance Tickets were tickets bought online for $25 and ........ wait for it ............ an $8.13 Service Fee! Hence $33.

After the advance ended on Friday it was $38 for a one day ticket. The same formula was used for the 3-day and VIP.

Definitely more than last year where Bruno and I picked them up directly at Paradise for $25.

As for the earlier mentioned student et all ticket price - I scoured the Facebook and WWTO site and saw nothing about a $5 ticket. Could this have been for a limited time only?

https://wizardworldca.ticketleap.net/torontospecial

I believed the link stopped working on either Saturday or Sunday, cause I was able to access it Friday night.

It wasn't posted on the WWTO site, but Peter Dixon (of Paradise Comics) did post a link to it on the official con group on Facebook. It was on March 8th, or around that day. Not sure if they took down the link from that group, but it was still on Peter Dixon's FB wall.

It was $5, INCLUDING taxes and service charges.

I was thinking that as well. I guess it may depend on what you are going to the con for. There are times I go to buy 'big books' but a lot of the time I go with the intention of looking around and buying trades and comics I want (say Simpson's #1) that don't cost a lot but I would like.

If I go with the intention of spending $1000 than $38, while still to much, isn't all that much of a hinderance. If I am planning on spending $100-$200 it just represents to much of the total investment.

Phil Jimenez, Alvin Lee, Francis Manapul, Mitch Breitweiser, Niall Eccles (x2), Nimit Malavia, Ty Templeton, W. Scott Forbes (x2), Da Xiong

Sketches are posted on my CAF site.

Awesome sketches, Jason!

You made out like a bandit as per usual :applause:

Thanks Ben!

38 is INSANE for 1 day at a con.

Agreed. I had already agreed to submit some books for boar dies and get sketches. I was also standing at the doors with my son so my bad for not noticing the admission was more than $25. I also bought the weekend pass just encase for $60 and only went Friday. My son being free was a small bonus.

Lesson learned. Bring on the free show that might actually have some comics to buy :)

I'll be there on Friday. It's a 5 minute walk from my office.

Although it appears that it won't be nearly as many dealers as last year.

Show sucked, nobody there and a cash gauge

Tell me how you really feel Frank.

But how did you gauge prices compared to last year.

Oh you mean GOUGE. Yes we knew last week and 22 posts ago. :baiting:

I'll be there on Friday. It's a 5 minute walk from my office.

Although it appears that it won't be nearly as many dealers as last year.

Show sucked, nobody there and a cash gauge

Hey, Jason & Bruno & Bruno's cousin, nice to see so many of you posting on the boards for what turned out to be a rather subdued event, yet altogether exciting by other measures.

First and foremost, the ticket prices were indeed pricey for what you get in return from the show in its present state and format. And I realize folks are driven to compare it to the Hobbystar Fan Expo, but I for one and happy to support both shows because competition is healthy and with each show trying to up the ante, it will only result in a better show for all of us in attendance. (thumbs u

Second, as Jason and others cited, there were options available to purchase tickets at a discount but regardless of the cost, if you are a sketch hound or simply want to speak to an artists without being hearded like cattle to lineup A, B or C, then this was the show for you. Artists were easily accessible, and there was some great sketches to be had, as evidenced by Jason's CAF updates. Nice work, Jason!

Regarding 1,000,000 comix, yes, they were a no-show Friday, but the 1,000,000 comix booth was not that of the local comic shop owned by the Giancoulas family in Toronto...it was for Jerry Ross.

Now with regard to Dale Keown, he hasn't done a US show since the mid-90s and rarely does a show outside of Toronto so its completely understandable that he has a group of dedicated fans at every show.

Finally, I noticed the attendance seemed to be on the upswing from last year and I think comic dealers would do well by setting up at this show. Hopefully next years' show won't conflict with C2E2 and difficult choices won't be necessary. Hope to see you all at the upcoming Hobbystar shows AND next years' WWToronto.

I just wish these shows brought out more collectors setting up tables and selling their stuff.

International dealers are nice also but I want a more garage sale/flea market experience too.

They should encourage table selling to more one shot type sellers for a more unique local experience.

I just wish these shows brought out more collectors setting up tables and selling their stuff.

International dealers are nice also but I want a more garage sale/flea market experience too.

They should encourage table selling to more one shot type sellers for a more unique local experience.

YES I totally agree with you!

Marco and I did a one day show in the fall of 2009 with Hobbystar and it only cost $120/table so we got 2! Didn't need to sell much to recoup that and it was a blast.

I seem to recall Wizard charging in the neighbourhood of $800-900 per table. Now THAT is discouraging.

YES I totally agree with you!

Marco and I did a one day show in the fall of 2009 with Hobbystar and it only cost $120/table so we got 2! Didn't need to sell much to recoup that and it was a blast.

I seem to recall Wizard charging in the neighbourhood of $800-900 per table. Now THAT is discouraging.

Yes, I remember your table by the door. Maybe those one day shows wold be a better venue for this sort of format the the higher admission priced one like the WW show hm