• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal security measures?

30 posts in this topic

So I am supposed to be shipping some comic books to a board member and promised to have them out yesterday. When I log on to Paypal in order to generate the shipping label I get this message...

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages.

Protecting the security of your PayPal account is our primary concern, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I did not get to this by a link in an email. This popped up after I logged into the actual website www.paypal.com. My wife logged to her account just fine on her computer but got the same message when logging to my account. Also. the SSL certificate looks good too. However, the information it wants is my entire bank account number. I suppose its legit but I have reservations about this type of "security measure". Has anyone had this happen to them?

p.s. My apologies to the board member who is waiting on their comics.

Ok, so it might be some kind of trojan horse in the computer. I'd call or email Paypal customer service before doing anything.

Happened to me Also last week or so. Thought the same as You, scam, but everything I tried I still could not log into my acct until I filled out info. , as soon as I did, no problems. I'm good so far. Hope this Helps

Anyone else?

Ok, so it might be some kind of trojan horse in the computer. I'd call or email Paypal customer service before doing anything.

No offence but that doesn't even make any sense. A trojan horse main goal is to hide as an other application WITHIN a computer and do multiple things such as data theft, allowing other viruses onto the computer and keylogging. Thus they would not need any screens to pop up when you visit a site since they would just keylog you and retrive the data.

On top of that a hacker unless actively sniffing on your line would not know that you go to paypal and majority of these viruses made are made to obtain all info that they can that can be of a security risk to you without you realizing it. So then they would have no idea of how to integrate a web based look to match the site to obtain that info from you plus that would be pretty complex.

Next there is the possibilty of a url kidnap (which takes you to a non official website to to obtain your info by keylogging on their site) but then when you go to that site you will see in the url box that the url is wrong. That is why this type of attack is hardly used anymore since easy to detect. Next would be the email that asks you to go to a specific url (which again takes you to a non official website to obtain your info by keylogging on their site). Easy to tell since if you look at email properties most likely from some weird address if you read it all and the url will again not be proper that they are giving you. Even if official you should never click a link in email unless 100% positive and always go to the site itself.

Well its happening on 3 different computers...My home PC, My wifes laptop and my work laptop (at work) so now I'm 99.9 % sure its legitimate but this kind of security procedure is inconvenient in the least and aggravating to me.

No offence but that doesn't even make any sense. A trojan horse main goal is to hide as an other application WITHIN a computer and do multiple things such as data theft, allowing other viruses onto the computer and keylogging. Thus they would not need any screens to pop up when you visit a site since they would just keylog you and retrive the data.

On top of that a hacker unless actively sniffing on your line would not know that you go to paypal and majority of these viruses made are made to obtain all info that they can that can be of a security risk to you without you realizing it. So then they would have no idea of how to integrate a web based look to match the site to obtain that info from you plus that would be pretty complex.

Next there is the possibilty of a url kidnap (which takes you to a non official website to to obtain your info by keylogging on their site) but then when you go to that site you will see in the url box that the url is wrong. That is why this type of attack is hardly used anymore since easy to detect. Next would be the email that asks you to go to a specific url (which again takes you to a non official website to obtain your info by keylogging on their site). Easy to tell since if you look at email properties most likely from some weird address if you read it all and the url will again not be proper that they are giving you. Even if official you should never click a link in email unless 100% positive and always go to the site itself.

Whatever. The point is he should call before giving his personal info up.

Whatever. The point is he should call before giving his personal info up.

Not when he's logged into paypal.com :doh:

So I am supposed to be shipping some comic books to a board member and promised to have them out yesterday. When I log on to Paypal in order to generate the shipping label I get this message...

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages.

Protecting the security of your PayPal account is our primary concern, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I did not get to this by a link in an email. This popped up after I logged into the actual website www.paypal.com. My wife logged to her account just fine on her computer but got the same message when logging to my account. Also. the SSL certificate looks good too. However, the information it wants is my entire bank account number. I suppose its legit but I have reservations about this type of "security measure". Has anyone had this happen to them?

This is a scam. Do nothing.

Well its happening on 3 different computers...My home PC, My wifes laptop and my work laptop (at work) so now I'm 99.9 % sure its legitimate but this kind of security procedure is inconvenient in the least and aggravating to me.

I had pretty much the same when they made me upgrade my account from Personal to Premier. I couldn't do anything until I'd gone through a boatload of security steps, which I did over the phone if I remember correctly.

Like schmidty says though, if you're logged into Paypal then giving them information really shouldn't be an issue.

+1

This happened to me last year and it was legit. Of course, that doesn't mean that this one is, but it was in my case - I had the same misgivings about it being a scam too.

I never access Paypal via an email link due to all the phishing. If it's happening from three separate computers and logging directly into their website, it's likely not a scam IMO. You could always call them though, right? I'm assuming they have a phone number (I've never looked tho).

Use your wife's account in the interim . . . :whistle:

+1

Look - this is not rocket science. The OP is securely logged into the paypal.com site which means this is not a scam.

He did not receive an email here - he's seeing this security notification when he logs into paypal.com.