• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Law

26 posts in this topic

you guys are mean. he needs a copyright and licensing lawyer. trademark might help too. but you know what, someone with experience delineating the rights between artist and writer would be a big plus (so not comic law per se, as it applies to other types of stuff as well).

I said he needs an IP/commercial lawyer. (shrug)

you guys are mean. he needs a copyright and licensing lawyer. trademark might help too. but you know what, someone with experience delineating the rights between artist and writer would be a big plus (so not comic law per se, as it applies to other types of stuff as well).

I've spoken, consulted with and retained my fair share of lawyers in the past few years. I don't suggest retaining anyone, and that includes IP/contract lawyers unless they know your area of business and have experience advising and/or litigating in that specific area. One never knows how a situation as simple as composing/mailing a letter can play out.

I can tell you from spending a small fortune strictly to guard and defend my business interests that no question is dumb, and the last thing you want to do is pursue disciplinary action because you hired a lawyer that didn't do their job properly. In Canada we have the law society of upper Canada that acts in disciplinary matters as well as advising law firms to best assist. It's different in the US as the courts determine disciplinary matters, although a law association may be able to point you to a firm that could best suit your needs.

While seeking advise on these forums isn't a bad idea, I would sooner use Google and make a few calls before relying on a small pool of candidates from these boards that may not be in a position to help.

I've spoken, consulted with and retained my fair share of lawyers in the past few years. I don't suggest retaining anyone, and that includes IP/contract lawyers unless they know your area of business and have experience advising and/or litigating in that specific area. One never knows how a situation as simple as composing/mailing a letter can play out.

I can tell you from spending a small fortune strictly to guard and defend my business interests that no question is dumb, and the last thing you want to do is pursue disciplinary action because you hired a lawyer that didn't do their job properly. In Canada we have the law society of upper Canada that acts in disciplinary matters as well as advising law firms to best assist. It's different in the US as the courts determine disciplinary matters, although a law association may be able to point you to a firm that could best suit your needs.

While seeking advise on these forums isn't a bad idea, I would sooner use Google and make a few calls before relying on a small pool of candidates from these boards that may not be in a position to help.

Thanks for the advice very good info.

I dropped a line here because of the professionalism displayed by a few guys here in other threads.

I in fact have 2 local lawyers on retainer, and I go to a college with a law school so the advice is free flowing here in Moscow. However your reply best suited my OP, being as I can forsee my current lawyers having many questions for me that I can not answer. Thanks for the advice

-Jm

problem is, that's incredibly broad. someone who handles general corporate/commercial work will usually not have a clue, and a lot of "IP" lawyers are patent lawyers, who won't know what to do here. i litigate copyright cases on occasion and I wouldn't say i would be a good person to go to for this stuff (if I was charging for it at least).

problem is, that's incredibly broad. someone who handles general corporate/commercial work will usually not have a clue, and a lot of "IP" lawyers are patent lawyers, who won't know what to do here. i litigate copyright cases on occasion and I wouldn't say i would be a good person to go to for this stuff (if I was charging for it at least).

That's why I said "IP/commercial" as opposed to just "IP" or just "commercial". Or maybe I should have said a "commercial IP" lawyer.

In any event, if he contacts a firm that has IP lawyers, once he explains what his particular situation is, they should be able to steer him to the right person who handles that particular niche of IP.