• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hellboy

17 posts in this topic

Will HELLBOY succeed at the box office or fail miserably ala HULK & DD? Or will dvd sales down the road tell the story?

Anyone read any reviews? I doubt I will see it but maybe later on video.......

Just a general FYI, there's a 10-minute Hellboy preview DVD that's free at Best Buy with any purchase. I've got one if anyone wants it (had to buy something there recently and figured I'd get one since it was free) and you're not near a BB or your BB isn't particpating, is out, etc. It's still in the plastic.

I personally find it odd that they're doing a movie about him. He's not a major character, IMO. I have the same feelings toward the Ghost Rider movie, even though I have nothing against the character. The general public knows about the flagship characters for Marvel & DC, and although DD's not a major character, his character is easy enough to understand/grasp and sell (not to mention that they threw some well-known names in there to "sell" it).

All that aside, however, a good movie is a good movie is a good movie. If it's done well, word will get out and people will go see it.

My LCS offered me tickets for the private showing tonight in Richmond,...but I have to work... frown.gif....I hear it's supposed to be surprisingly good....

I too have tickets for a showing tonight but might have to miss it cause of work frown.gif

If I do go I'll be sure to give you guys my thoughts (whether you want them or not! smile.gif )

Will HELLBOY succeed at the box office or fail miserably ala HULK & DD? Or will dvd sales down the road tell the story?

Anyone read any reviews? I doubt I will see it but maybe later on video.......

Well I think HellBoy should do very well.

While Ang Lees Opera disaster of a Hluk moviefailed at the Box Office. At least DD made its 102 million, thanks to Afleck, Garner, and Ferril.

As far as HellBoy here are a few review sites that so far are mostly glowing.

Rottentomatoes.com

aintitcool,com user reviews

So If word spreads and people are in a the mood for a pure action fantasy movie, it should do well.

The film supposedly has a great Neo Nazi movie villian , as stated by a fan here in the paragraph below

"Kroenen owned the screen at all times! He was brought to screen as badass. He stole the show with his presence in every scene. He is the modern day Darth Vader. Hell, he's even got the breathing down. God I hope we get some deleted scenes on the dvd with just Kroenen kick [!@#%^&^]. This is a movie that people MUST see as it is going to be one of the better comic adaptations that Hollywood is putting out, as they continue to rape all of our childhood heroes by having them dress in crappy looking costumes and making dumb [!@#%^&^] casting decisions *cough*halle berry as catwoman*cough*. But thankfully we have people like Chris Nolan and Kevin Smith who will be putting together good comic book films. Hellboy rocks. Go see it."

well that fan sure seems to like it

Timing seems about right, and it does not have a ton of action movie compitition at the moment , a PG-13 rating means it will draw a kid audience too.

Anyhow I hope it does well so director Del toro gets to make another one, but with an actual big budget and studio backing.

I saw Hellboy earlier this week. WOW!!! It is easily one of the most faithful comic adaptations I've seen. I was pretty stunned. This movies just plain kicks [!@#%^&^]. Go see this at all costs. After years of weak comic book movies(except for X2) this is gonna be a nice shot in the arm for all comic book movies in the future.

I take issue with your meaning for "fail". If DD "failed", why would they be planning an Elektra spinoff? Even "failed" I feel is too harsh a word for the Hulk. It still made over $100mil and will probably come close if not break even. I mean , Howard the Duck FAILED, we can all agree on that. smile.gif

You mat not have thought either one is good, but I don't think either movie "failed".

Will HELLBOY succeed at the box office or fail miserably ala HULK & DD?

Elektra spin-off ok but no sequel to DD. Same with the Hulk. XMEN/Spider-Man/Blade all have had or will have sequels becuase they had good stories with some character development and they held the audience. Now I cannot speak to HULK as I have not seen it but I have no interest in it (I am only talking about the $$ it made (or didn't make)).....DD for me was horrible.

Hulk will have a sequel. They made way too much money on merchandising to give up on the franchise, and the movie made well over $200 million at the box office (worldwide). I am not sure what the final DVD totals were, but I know the movie made money. If they can get a good director (NOT ANG LEE), the second one will be a hit.

As for Daredevil, I believe that a sequel will eventually get made, albeit probably not with Ben Affleck (God, I hope without Ben Affleck -- I'd love to see Guy Pearce in the role). I also hope they get a new director and writer, as Mark Steven Johnson is a talentless bum.

Elektra spin-off ok but no sequel to DD. Same with the Hulk. XMEN/Spider-Man/Blade all have had or will have sequels becuase they had good stories with some character development and they held the audience. Now I cannot speak to HULK as I have not seen it but I have no interest in it (I am only talking about the $$ it made (or didn't make)).....DD for me was horrible.

Hulk made about 6.2 million in DVD/VHS sales, as did DD

A few acticles on IGN.com listed below

First off DareDevil 2 and Bennifer, followed by Avi Arad, and lastly Hulk 2(rumored to have a grey skinned Banner)

DareDevil 2 -- not a go Affleck Wary of Daredevil Sequel

"I'm not banging down the door trying to get Daredevil II made."

December 08, 2003 - Ben Affleck didn't sound too keen on reprising his role as The Man Without Fear in Daredevil II when asked about it recently by SciFi Wire. While promoting his forthcoming release Paycheck, Affleck said, "I don't know about Daredevil II. That may be too much work for me. I don't have any idea. ... I suppose that if Kevin Smith wrote it and was going to be involved, I would do it."

While Daredevil II may not appeal to Affleck, he did say he'd be willing to appear in Elektra. "I would do some sort of cameo in (Jennifer Garner's) movie – she's going to do Elektra – just because she's cool, and she's my friend. But I'm not banging down the door trying to get Daredevil II made. You'll know when my career is really on the slide when I start resurrecting the franchise."

Daredevil may not be the only franchise that Affleck will no longer be involved with. The rumor mill recently suggested that Paramount no longer wants Affleck to star in its Jack Ryan series. Industry pundits and gossip columnists have had a field day speculating on how much damage Gigli and Affleck's relationship with Jennifer Lopez may have done to his career. Surprisingly enough, the Oscar-winner himself seems to agree with his critics.

"My relationship with Jennifer has absolutely been bad for my career. The overexposure this year has been really damaging. The combination of me and Jennifer as a unit became more important than the parts we did in movies," Affleck was recently quoted as saying by the World Entertainment News Network. "It's not good when everybody knows everything about you – the mystique disappears."

-- Stax

another DD2 article

Daredevil 2 a No-Go!

Del Toro rumor debunked.

March 08, 2004 - Dark Horizons posted a rumor today that Hellboy and Blade II director Guillermo Del Toro was considering helming Daredevil II. The sequel would reportedly "be based on Frank Miller's acclaimed 'Born Again' story and would only have DD in his costume for a very short time in the film."

IGN FilmForce's trusty sources close to the project, however, say there's "no truth at all" to the rumor. Indeed, they informed us that Daredevil II "is on the back burner." Marvel Studios and production company Horseshoe Bay are instead focusing entirely on Elektra's big-screen spin-off. Rob Bowman will direct Jennifer Garner in the pic, which begins filming in Vancouver this May.

I guess we should have seen this development coming when Ben Affleck badmouthed Daredevil and any eventual sequel at a recent press conference. "I don't know about Daredevil II. That may be too much work for me," Affleck said while promoting the release of Paycheck. "I suppose that if Kevin Smith wrote it and was going to be involved, I would do it. ... I'm not banging down the door trying to get Daredevil II made. You'll know when my career is really on the slide when I start resurrecting the franchise."

-- Stax

a link to a long article with Avi Arad , Marvel honcho...

Avi Arad Article

Hulk 2 Article

Hulk 2 Developments

"A little more fun, a little more action," says Marvel.

January 23, 2004 - Marvel Studios exec Kevin Feige recently chatted with The Comics Continuum about the possibility of Hulk 2. Although the original film has been widely deemed a commercial disappointment, there has been talk of a Hulk sequel since last June.

"I think The Hulk is extremely important to Marvel, obviously, one of the biggest and most well-known characters and I think he'll have a future on the screen," said Feige. "And I think most likely that future will be a sequel at Universal."

Feige advised the Continuum that Marvel Studios will have "a meeting in the next week or two with a very talented writer who's come up with a version that is interesting. We're anxious about it, and think there are amazing stories to come with Bruce Banner."

The filmmakers reportedly "want to continue to take it very seriously and continue to follow (Banner's) inner psyche, but at the same time allow us in the audience to have a little more fun, a little more action, a little more of the 'Hulk smash.'"

For more on Hulk 2, check out The Continuum.

-- Stax

last Hulk 2 article Hulk to Smash Again?

A sequel to The Hulk is already in the works.

June 23, 2003 - A bit of a mixed reaction didn't hold The Hulk back at the box office this weekend. The decidedly "emo" comic book adaptation raged for $62.1 million during the Friday-to-Sunday period. That proves that there's a massive amount of enthusiasm for the property, and no matter how this first film is received in the end, it should clear the way for a sequel.

In fact, star Eric Bana has already admitted that a second Hulk flick is probably in the cards. He tells gossip maven Cindy Pearlman of the Chicago Sun-Times, "I guess we will do one. It might sound silly, but I really haven't thought about it. It's hard to think Hulk when you're in the middle of The Iliad." Bana is currently filming the historical epic Troy, opposite Brad Pitt.

Also, USA Today scoops that Hulk screenwriter James Schamus is already working on a -script for the sequel. The paper scoops that The Hulk 2 may feature the emergence of the gray-skinned Hulk, familiar to fans of the comic. Schamus also says he's considering The Leader (described by Lee as "a giant-head brainiac") and The Abomination ("a big ugly guy the same size as the Hulk") as possible baddies. We'll keep ya posted on all things big, green and sequel-related.

-- Brian Linder

I think those are units sold, not dollars worth of DVDs sold. Daredevil made something like $50 million in DVD retail sales in the first week.

I think those are units sold, not dollars worth of DVDs sold. Daredevil made something like $50 million in DVD retail sales in the first week.

I know the format of this will not be correct once I paste on the board it, but the numbers are there to see.

You are correct...FFB

I did not read the fine print, that the 6.8 million was while it was in the top ten(IN RENTALS), and after that it says most title garner 60% more in sales.So your $50 million in total sales first week is probably pretty close.

VHS/DVD RENTAL HISTORY

Week Rank Gross Cumulative

1 1 $2,830,000 $2,860,000

3 5 $1,250,000 $11,520,000

2 3 $1,940,000 $4,800,000

4 8 $810,000 $6,850,000

The Total VHS/DVD Rentals figure at the top of the page is the cumulative figure before it drops off the top 10 rentals chart. A video, on average, will make about 60% more after dropping off the top 10 rentals chart

Saw it last night - wife even liked it and that was before she had a single cosmo! The guy who played HB ws great - kept thinking he would be awesome as Thing if they ever make that FF movie. Have seen little of the HB comic but Abe Sapien was definitely worthless - his voice was the Niles guy from Frazier which was good. Story was pretty good but wife wondered what Rasputin would gain by having the dark gods destry the world - I told her not to think about it too much. Overall a very good movie and HB was a completely believaable character - much better than Hulk. Scariest guy was definitely the evil Nazi with the Vader face mask - and a very good thing he had that mask on for most of the movie as he was in need of an extreme makeover!

A Good Flick, Ron Perlman pulled off Hellboy quite well. I loved the fact that it actually told a decent story and unlike Hulk did not take itself too seriously. Overall would give it a B+ worth seeing at least once. thumbsup2.gif

Now waiting for the sure to be 2nd, or 1st if they use more than Volume 1, bloodiest movie of all time Kill Bill Volume 2.... 893applaud-thumb.gif.