• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spiderman as iconic as Superman?

194 posts in this topic

Spider-Man is more multifaceted and emotionally relatable than the rather more monolithic Superman. Plus he appeals to the emo crowd.

He was the first Emo.

That is correct. The self-pitying, angsty teen with awkward dress sense (at least until John Romita came along and turned him into a matinee idol).

Which means that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko are the creators of Emo. :o

Stan will say it was all his own work.

Spider-Man is more multifaceted and emotionally relatable than the rather more monolithic Superman. Plus he appeals to the emo crowd.

He was the first Emo.

That is correct. The self-pitying, angsty teen with awkward dress sense (at least until John Romita came along and turned him into a matinee idol).

Shock horror, a horror taxi.

I fell in love with a video nasty!!!! :acclaim:

He was the first Emo.

(worship)

:whee:

He was the first Emo.

Shouldn't that be a German film star?

He was the first Emo.

Good call. Although it's all working out rather well between me and the video nasty.

He was the first Emo.

Good call. Although it's all working out rather well between me and the video nasty.

Ever feel like you're following the conversation just fine, then suddenly realize you have no idea what's going on?

He was the first Emo.

Ever feel like you're following the conversation just fine, then suddenly realize you have no idea what's going on?

Excuse the derail. As I was saying, Spidey will always have a more contemporary feel, as he arrived at the beginning of the '60s pop culture explosion. And the fact that Stan Lee knew who his readership was.

He was the first Emo.

Excuse the derail. As I was saying, Spidey will always have a more contemporary feel, as he arrived at the beginning of the '60s pop culture explosion. And the fact that Stan Lee knew who his readership was.

I'm just so curious what Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder are going to do with Superman. I suspect he might not be described as milquetoast after this movie.

I think the movies were successful because Spider-Man was such a popular character, not vice-versa.

Good point. Where as on the other hand I think the Iron Man movies really helped out his popularity.

Spidey is a character that is more identifiable for a kid/teen/young adult than the old Superman. Has DC ever rebooted the Superman series and had Superman as a teen/young adult ? I can only think of Smallville which is/was on for ten seasons ?

There were 100 episodes of The Adventures of Superboy from 1988-1992. Not to mention the Superboy comic, that was published for 28 years.

Thats the Superboy series. What I mean is have it titled Superman but he is late teens early twenties. I honestly think that would help out sales.

I think the movies were successful because Spider-Man was such a popular character, not vice-versa.

Good point. Where as on the other hand I think the Iron Man movies really helped out his popularity.

Spidey is a character that is more identifiable for a kid/teen/young adult than the old Superman. Has DC ever rebooted the Superman series and had Superman as a teen/young adult ? I can only think of Smallville which is/was on for ten seasons ?

There were 100 episodes of The Adventures of Superboy from 1988-1992. Not to mention the Superboy comic, that was published for 28 years.

Thats the Superboy series. What I mean is have it titled Superman but he is late teens early twenties. I honestly think that would help out sales.

Maybe, but it's not what I want to see, which is Superman.

Spider-man changed everythng. I'm no philsopher, sociologist. or pop culture afficionado, but he changed everything.

He added a great deal of crying to the superhero mythos. The last thing I want to see in a "hero".

Superman is more iconic, all the first are.

Neil Armstrong - first man to walk on the moon

do you remember #2??

Buzz Aldrin

Charles Lindbergh - first man to cross the atlantic non-stop

do you remember #2??

Richard Byrd.

Amelia Earhart - first solo flight across the atlantic by a woman.

do you remember #2??

Probably Beryl Markham...

Right Brothers - first powered flight

do you remember #2???

etc etc etc.

Wright....

And the second was also Wilbur & Orville...as was the third and fourth. ;)

do you remember #2??

Buzz Aldrin

do you remember #2??

Richard Byrd.

do you remember #2??

Probably Beryl Markham...

do you remember #2???

etc etc etc.

Wright....

And the second was also Wilbur & Orville...as was the third and fourth. ;)

Nice, was going to do the same thing but was to lazy.

do you remember #2??

do you remember #2??

do you remember #2??

do you remember #2???

etc etc etc.

The Wright Brothers :gossip:

Right.

Exactly.

Does it have Lex Luthor in it?

So far, they've only announced Zod.

One of the greatest characters ever in the history of film. Someone who could take on Supes at his own game.

"Kneel before...ZOD."

Superman II = Half-caf, mocha chai latté enema WIN.