• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spiderman as iconic as Superman?

194 posts in this topic

I know Spidey has always been a popular comic among the comic buying community but obviously the character became an American pop culture phenom...

Is it because of the successful movies? Are the movies responsible for taking this already popular superhero and catapult him into the stratosphere?

I think Spider-man's popular for two simple reasons: (1) he's an archetype, and (2) pop media.

Superman = hero

Batman = hero by force of will

Spider-man = accidental hero

It's not anymore complicated than that imho. Three universal imaginings:

What if a man had godlike powers? (Superman)

What if a man willed tragedy into the ultimate triumph? (Batman)

What if a regular (weak) guy were suddenly given godlike power? (Spider-man)

A spider bite, an alien power ring, a magic word, a miracle serum...

Kids and teens of different eras can always relate to suddenly becoming heroic.

I know Spidey has always been a popular comic among the comic buying community but obviously the character became an American pop culture phenom...

Is it because of the successful movies? Are the movies responsible for taking this already popular superhero and catapult him into the stratosphere?

I think Spider-man's popular for two simple reasons: (1) he's an archetype, and (2) pop media.

Superman = hero

Batman = hero by force of will

Spider-man = accidental hero

It's not anymore complicated than that imho. Three universal imaginings:

What if a man had godlike powers? (Superman)

What if a man willed tragedy into the ultimate triumph? (Batman)

What if a regular (weak) guy were suddenly given godlike power? (Spider-man)

A spider bite, an alien power ring, a magic word, a miracle serum...

Kids and teens of different eras can always relate to suddenly becoming heroic. A fantasy.

Don't forget the red and blue tights. Primary colors go a looooong way in comics.

I don't think the movies had anything to do with it. The reason the books were cheaper 30 years ago is because they were only 30 years old at that point. I don't think any Marvel character that isn't already iconic ever will be. It's POSSIBLE another Wolverine is created someday, maybe Deadpool is it, but I don't think so. I do think Spider-Man is every bit as iconic as Superman. I don't think AF15 is as rare as Action 1, but disregarding value and length of time existing, they are both big characters.

I agree and there was no CGC or dare I say it PGX back in the day, it was pure luck or an anal personality that kept many GA books in good condition.

With Modern books if it smells like it may be be worth anything in the future it gets slabbed. If everyone is keeping these books in pristine condition and there are even small print runs, i.e. WD 1, then there will always be a price ceiling because of the number of Mint books in circulation.

You guys and you Western-centric philosophy...

Superman is, by far, the most popular character when the whole world is considered

Why?

Because Superman is not an American. Yes, he is a "naturalized" American, but ultimately, he's "from somewhere else."

Superman appeals to dreams. Dreams are pretty powerful when you don't always have the means to make them come true.

Westerners may be able to relate to Spidey, but kids in Namibia, or Nepal, or Uruguay....maybe not so much.

I think the movies were successful because Spider-Man was such a popular character, not vice-versa.

Good point. Where as on the other hand I think the Iron Man movies really helped out his popularity.

Spidey is a character that is more identifiable for a kid/teen/young adult than the old Superman. Has DC ever rebooted the Superman series and had Superman as a teen/young adult ? I can only think of Smallville which is/was on for ten seasons ?

That show used to be a "must watch".

:cloud9:

Amen! LOVED the Electric-Company, mostly for Spidey.

My 2nd exposure was a picture-disc Spider-Man story with Man-Wolf and Spidey on each side of the record. I must have been under 5...

I sure wish I could find another one..

I know this will hurt some Supes fan's feelings, but I can't think of a more boring, uninspiring, and tired hero than Superman.

You couldn't be more wrong. There's a documentary "Waiting For Superman" that is influencing a nation at the moment. You should look up why Superman is in the title and the gentleman's personal story and inspiration.

Superman has without doubt provided more hope, inspiration, and influence than we can ever imagine. (thumbs u

post_full_1285274001canada-waiting-for-superman.jpg

The only other Marvel character that comes close in recognition/popularity to Spidey is Wolverine. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, etc. are fun but are nowhere near that level.

I have posted this before, but if you are looking at worldwide recognition there are probably only 5 franchises that will stand the test of time:

1) Batman

2) Spider-Man

3) Superman

4) Wolverine

5) TMNT

If you want to "invest" in comics, just focus on the 1st appearances of these 5 for the long run.........

May I have some of whatever it is you are ingesting?

5) TMNT?

Really???

Yes, this is the only franchise from the 80s that will have any long term staying power. TMNT spawned a huge following worldwide. With their most recent cartoon series even my kids (5 and 6) know about them from watching the re-runs.

Superman is, by far, the most popular character when the whole world is considered

Westerners may be able to relate to Spidey, but kids in Namibia, or Nepal, or Uruguay....maybe not so much.

Not sure those countries give a rat's azz about Superman. Or Spider-Man. Or Batman. hm

Not sure those countries give a rat's azz about Superman. Or Spider-Man. Or Batman. hm

Sure they do.

The only other Marvel character that comes close in recognition/popularity to Spidey is Wolverine. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, etc. are fun but are nowhere near that level.

I have posted this before, but if you are looking at worldwide recognition there are probably only 5 franchises that will stand the test of time:

1) Batman

2) Spider-Man

3) Superman

4) Wolverine

5) TMNT

If you want to "invest" in comics, just focus on the 1st appearances of these 5 for the long run.........

May I have some of whatever it is you are ingesting?

5) TMNT?

Really???

Yes, this is the only franchise from the 80s that will have any long term staying power. TMNT spawned a huge following worldwide. With their most recent cartoon series even my kids (5 and 6) know about them from watching the re-runs.

I love the list but are turtles really that relevant compared to Transformers

Sure they do.

I'd have no way of knowing... (shrug)

How would one know? And how would one know it's popularity, as opposed to recognition?

Sure they do.

Aren't you making a western-centric assumption here?

Sure they do.

No.

Superman, in various forms, is published all over the world.

Sure they do.

No.

I grew up in Mexico...this not being American thing you speak of...not so sure...everyone over (in the dirty dirty south), still sees him as a good'ol country boy from the Mid-West...he has always been seen as an American..still remember those black and white series dubbed in Sapnish with the US flag flying behind him...c'mon...

Chapulin Colorado....now that's a true World super hero!!!!

Sure they do.

No.

I grew up in Mexico...this not being American thing you speak of...not so sure...everyone over (in the dirty dirty south), still sees him as a good'ol country boy from the Mid-West...he has always been seen as an American..still remember those black and white series dubbed in Sapnish with the US flag flying behind him...c'mon...

Mexico is America-Lite. Of course you'll see Supes as Midwestern.

:baiting:

Sure they do.

No.

Mexico is America-Lite. Of course you'll see Supes as Midwestern.

:baiting:

C'mon....this is Superman's dad in Smallville

110113.jpg.b24ccc48f81403e92f54eae56fc41680.jpg