• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 9.6 on yahoo

22 posts in this topic

Any one have any thoughts if this sale effect the vaule of the 9.4 copies?

Joe, I'd say that 9.4 copies have been steadily rising since their $200K/2008 highs.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've already had people ask me about 9.4 copies and were willing to pay over $300K early last year. Some people disagree, but I'm sure this sale will have an effect on undercopies...the higher the grade, the more I believe it will be affected.

There's already a reported sale on GPA of a CGC 5.0 for $18K from eBay this week but not sure how legit it is.

And there lies the problem. How manipulated can the market for these key books really get? I mean, someone "claims" to have sold such a book for $18k on the Bay, but really? Shill bidders on that venue are more than the norm. Who's to stop a couple top dog companies from pushing a certain book into the stratosphere on hype alone now? Sure, someone's got to be willing to pay for it, but for how long? Then once the honeymoon has worn off, where will the rest of us in the hobby? (shrug)

Any one have any thoughts if this sale effect the vaule of the 9.4 copies?

Joe, I'd say that 9.4 copies have been steadily rising since their $200K/2008 highs.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I've already had people ask me about 9.4 copies and were willing to pay over $300K early last year. Some people disagree, but I'm sure this sale will have an effect on undercopies...the higher the grade, the more I believe it will be affected.

There's already a reported sale on GPA of a CGC 5.0 for $18K from eBay this week but not sure how legit it is.

And there lies the problem. How manipulated can the market for these key books really get? I mean, someone "claims" to have sold such a book for $18k on the Bay, but really? Shill bidders on that venue are more than the norm. Who's to stop a couple top dog companies from pushing a certain book into the stratosphere on hype alone now? Sure, someone's got to be willing to pay for it, but for how long? Then once the honeymoon has worn off, where will the rest of us in the hobby? (shrug)

Honestly, all it takes is a little homework to see if a price is a trend or an outlier.

If someone is dropping more than $20 on a comic, I'd expect them to educate themselves a little. Otherwise, they reap as they sow if someone pulls the wool over their eyes.

(shrug)