• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 625

18 posts in this topic

After reading the finale, I just want to go on record saying how crappy I thought that arc was. I know some people enjoyed it. That's cool. thumbsup2.gif But for me it was a waste of both time and money. I should have just dropped it after the first issue, but I felt like I ought to give those guys a chance. My loss is DC's gain.

I just want to go on record saying how crappy I thought that arc was.

I've been on record for quite some time now... I blame it all on chrisco37's fanboy lust for the 100 Bullets team foreheadslap.gif Read the current Batman:Gotham Knights REturn of Hush story arc...makes me wish for a return of Loeb/Lee to Batman again!

The story wasn't too disappointing because it just never captivated to begin with. It was just ho-hum. I just hope that Azzarello has a more effective story with Superman or else it'll be just Jim Lee's art. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm going to read the arc in one sitting to see if it makes sense.

Ditto. It was originally intended as a GN--perhaps it'll hang together better in that format. I really lost track of the plot(s) over the last half-year. confused-smiley-013.gif

I just want to go on record saying how crappy I thought that arc was.

I've been on record for quite some time now... I blame it all on chrisco37's fanboy lust for the 100 Bullets team foreheadslap.gif Read the current Batman:Gotham Knights REturn of Hush story arc...makes me wish for a return of Loeb/Lee to Batman again!

sorry.gif

I read the conclusion yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I'll bet nobody saw that coming. And it was just as "satisfying" a conclusion as the anti-climatic "Hush" story, no?

I think that the story will read better in one sitting, and I may get around to doing it one of these days. Most of Azzarello's arcs are that way. For those of you that didn't like it, you probably won't like Superman when he goes on the title; just enjoy Jim Lee's art.

Oh, and I dropped Batman from my pull list yesterday.

I'm with RR and Darth. I did not like it. Didn't even read the last issue. The art was cool, and fits Bats, and the writing could've fit him, but the story was sub-par for Bats and it seemed like Azz was trying to change his personality too much.

I'm looking forward to the next run.

like Azz was trying to change his personality too much.

That was my biggest problem. It's like the guy has no idea who Batman is or just didn't care.

I also didn't like the bits where he was playing around with the events surrounding Batman's Origin. It seemed to me like he was trying to recast Batman's motivations for taking the path he eventually pursued and I didn't like it one bit. Maybe I missed that "I hate you" scene before in some other retelling of his origin, but if I didn't and I have Az to blame, then "no thanks." I'll go back to the original, "spirit of vengeance" version and he can send his "trying to wash away the guilt version" to Oprah. Again, that's no Batman I know. I'm surprised they let him do that. Maybe the Bats editors got blinded by all those Eisner awards.

I also didn't like the bits where he was playing around with the events surrounding Batman's Origin. It seemed to me like he was trying to recast Batman's motivations for taking the path he eventually pursued and I didn't like it one bit. Maybe I missed that "I hate you" scene before in some other retelling of his origin, but if I didn't and I have Az to blame, then "no thanks." I'll go back to the original, "spirit of vengeance" version and he can send his "trying to wash away the guilt version" to Oprah. Again, that's no Batman I know. I'm surprised they let him do that. Maybe the Bats editors got blinded by all those Eisner awards.

There have been a lot of variations on Batman's motivations over the years. For many years, it was established that the Batman eventually caught his parents' killer ("Joe Chill"), so it then became less about vengeance and more about preventing anyone else from going through what he had. The Joe Chill outcome has since been ret-conned away.

I also didn't care for the "I hate you / Leave me alone" Big Reveal, but I believe in recent years, various stories have indicated that the Waynes were going to that specific Zoro movie solely because Bruce wanted to see it, and that contributed to a little boy's guilty feelings of being partly at fault for the outcome...

And it was just as "satisfying" a conclusion as the anti-climatic "Hush" story, no?

NO! tongue.gif BTW Hush ain't concluded... go read the Gotham Knights current arc and you'll see what I mean wink.gif

I'm enjoying that arc so far, too. good stuff

After reading the finale, I just want to go on record saying how crappy I thought that arc was. I know some people enjoyed it. That's cool. thumbsup2.gif But for me it was a waste of both time and money. I should have just dropped it after the first issue, but I felt like I ought to give those guys a chance. My loss is DC's gain.

Substitute "Batman 625" with "Batman 619" and I agree 100%. thumbsup2.gif

And it was just as "satisfying" a conclusion as the anti-climatic "Hush" story, no?

NO! tongue.gif BTW Hush ain't concluded... go read the Gotham Knights current arc and you'll see what I mean wink.gif

I'm done with the Dark Knight for now. When Loeb and Sale do another collaboration, then I'll pick it up again.

I'm done with the Dark Knight for now. When Loeb and Sale do another collaboration, then I'll pick it up again.

gossip.gif What is shaping up as my favorite Batman story of the last few years is nearing its conclusion in the Death & the Maidens mini-series, by Greg Rucka & Klaus Janson.