• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Death Rattle #8, s'il vous plait . . .

25 posts in this topic

Actually, I sent one into CGC last year with four color-breaking spine ticks and it came back a 9.6 example. Not all books are graded the same if there are known/common defects. Sold it on Ebay too cheaply.

:(

If not for that thumb dent noted by Tom, the back cover upper left-hand corner being rounded, and the back cover lower left-hand corner with the wrinkle in the paper, I would have said 9.2/9.4 just to be safe.

Votre bande dessinée est très bonne. Je pense qu'il est presque 9.2.

Your comic book is very good. I think it's about 9.2.

Ваш комикс очень хороший. Я думаю его оценка - приблизительно 9.2

Hi, I'm new to the board. This is my first post. I'm trying to calibrate my grading.

Question: Most here agree that this is a 9.0 or better, and I trust your expert opinion. I think I'm grading my own comics too harshly. I try to stay with Overstreet, and it states that a 9.0 cannot have any creases (which this comic definitely does). Is CGC criteria more lenient? With my own books, a strict interpretation of Overstreet guide puts creases that break color below 8.0. So I'm confused. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

WTTB. I'm assuming by "Overstreet Guide" you are referring to the 1-2 pages of text in the price guide devoted to grading. You might be best served by trying to pick up a copy of the Overstreet Grading Guide (2nd Ed.) and reading it cover to cover. It's an invaluable tool, especially when balanced with grading experience. (thumbs u

Thank you!

Yes, pp155-7 in the 40th edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. I actually ordered the Grading Guide (2nd Ed.) yesterday. I feel quite lucky because it was the only 2nd Ed. available on either eBay or Amazon.

This is a great forum. I love seeing the scans with the feedback - invaluable.

It's interesting that there are so many websites out there that have a version of the Overstreet Grading Definitions quoted almost word-for-word, but then alter it slightly - especially when it comes to creases and tears. Very few agree on all points.

Nostomania seems to be the most descriptive and lenient. It puts a 1/4" bend with color break at 8.5.

http://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

So I'm still confused on creases. I hope the Grading Guide clears it up. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably devaluing a great deal of my comics.

Thank you!

Nostomania seems to be the most descriptive and lenient. It puts a 1/4" bend with color break at 8.5.

http://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

So I'm still confused on creases. I hope the Grading Guide clears it up. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably devaluing a great deal of my comics.

Nostomania is not lenient. There are plenty of 8.5 books in slabs with 1/4" color breaking corner crease. I have seen 9.0 with 1/8" color breaking corner crease.

Thanks, good idea.

1) Here's an example of what I would grade at 7.0:

Color breaking crease in bottom left corner

Photobucket

2) On the other side of the spectrum, here's what I would rate at 9.4, but I'm actually wondering if the corners need to be a little sharper for this grade. Also, maybe the surface wear on the upper spine pushes it down to a 9.0?

Photobucket

3) Here is an example of what I would rate a 6.0 because of obvious soiling and a stain.

Photobucket

Sorry the books aren't more valuable or rare, but they were handy for this purpose.

Thanks in advance for your input!