• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Guitar playing update....

15 posts in this topic

Hey, this is starting to be fun now....I can finally string a couple of songs together - pretty simple stuff like Hank Jr.'s "Blues Man," Segar's "On The Road Again", Johnny Cash's "Hurt", etc.

Chord changes are coming faster now (although still have a need for speed) and the F-chord is still giving me fits when I try to change in a song, but I'm working on it...

Also, Doc Banner, I took your advice and purchased the Eagles' book....great songs and all of the ones I like are pretty simple. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

How's anyone else doing (the ones that replied to my last thread saying they were learning also)?

Also, anyone have any advice it's much appreciated...

I've been playing guitar in local bands (country and rock mostly) since 1983. The best advice I can give is don't give up. You will hit "brick walls" at times so to speak, where you feel you may have peaked out in terms of ability, but the best thing to do is to maintain patience and perservere. Once you feel comfortable playing music with other people, seek out public forums like "jam sessions" or "open mike" nights. That will give you opportunities to meet with other musicians and learn from them and grow in your knowledge. Books are OK, but many times the chord sequences are simplified or standardized to make things simpler and easier for the general public, but their interpretations are not always correct. If you're just starting out and find the fingertips to be sore after playing, soaking them in rubbing alcohol soothes the pain from what I'm told. The best thing you can do for your playing is try to experience all styles of music, because the more music that you come to understand and appreciate the more enjoyable the playing becomes! Good luck and keep strumming/plucking away! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Mine is on hold sadly.

My intentions were good,

But with 6 month old Ellen, my biz, and house repairs.

My strumming days will have to wait till later.

But glad to hear you are doing well..

Any chance you can make a wav file of you playing??

Dont worry I wont try and sell it on Ebay as a rare bootleg version of Hotel California.

Zeman

A wav file? Maybe a year from now... crazy.gif

Just don't feel THAT comfortable playing in front of people right now...

However, my folks are planning a family getaway to the gulf in late May...maybe I'll be able to pick out a few tunes by then for some campfire sing-a-longs!

Sorry, you had to put down the guitar for awhile..hope you get back playing soon! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, you had to put down the guitar for awhile..hope you get back playing soon! thumbsup2.gif

If you met my little Ellen you would know I am only to happy to give up a few hobbies for her.

Hopefully I will find time sooner then later as I want to be able to play along with my wife who plays piano.

Z

p.s. is there sheet music to "Kum Ba Yah"

to learn beofre your campfire, 27_laughing.gif

I remember when I started playing guitar....It all began with 2 songs...."Smoke on the Water" and "Iron Man"...Upon learning how to crank out those power chords through my peavy amp I discovered bass guitar and found it more to my liking...

I proceeded to copy riffs by Gary Thain of Uriah Heap and Chris Squire of Yes (to name a couple) and became quite proficient...alas I gave it up years ago to pursue other ventures but, to this day, I still miss it.... crazy.gif

Good luck and, at the very least, keep having fun with it.... thumbsup2.gif

Also, Doc Banner, I took your advice and purchased the Eagles' book....great songs and all of the ones I like are pretty simple. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Great! The transcription in that book of most of their popular songs are pretty honest relative to the originals. However, as wrcomics points out, the majority of song books are not so accurate. Other than taking lessons, one of the best ways to learn is to play with someone much better than yourself... thumbsup2.gif

Great! The transcription in that book of most of their popular songs are pretty honest relative to the originals. However, as wrcomics points out, the majority of song books are not so accurate. Other than taking lessons, one of the best ways to learn is to play with someone much better than yourself... thumbsup2.gif

And actually the internet is a good source of guitar tab. There are many amateur guitarists as well as hobbyists that contribute to tab sites. Most of the big search engines will return a hoard of results on songs. Just enter the song title and "guitar tab" in the search and you're on your way. (That's how I find a lot of guitar parts I'm looking for!) hi.gif

And actually the internet is a good source of guitar tab. There are many amateur guitarists as well as hobbyists that contribute to tab sites. Most of the big search engines will return a hoard of results on songs. Just enter the song title and "guitar tab" in the search and you're on your way. (That's how I find a lot of guitar parts I'm looking for!)

And with that, I point you to http://www.olga.net, with everything you wanted and tons of stuff you probably don't! 27_laughing.gif