• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 on the Bay Restored VERY HIGH GRADE

170 posts in this topic

I place a bit of a premium on how people present themselves online, and get a kick out of it when they fail miserably.

Lots of older people (he said he was close to retirement, right?) who don't have the internet experience that a younger generation has can come across like they are failing miserably but that isn't their fault.

I mean look at the flip side, if this book is the real deal (a nice, restored AF #15) then what?

(shrug)

I place a bit of a premium on how people present themselves online, and get a kick out of it when they fail miserably.

Lots of older people (he said he was close to retirement, right?) who don't have the internet experience that a younger generation has can come across like they are failing miserably but that isn't their fault.

I mean look at the flip side, if this book is the real deal (a nice, restored AF #15) then what?

(shrug)

As I say, it's out of my price range either way. If it is the real deal, he's doing himself a disservice by not getting it graded.

As for why he might be failing miserably ... I don't think being older is any reason to write in all caps. Saying stuff like "SO LET ME STRAIGHTEN OUT ALL OF YOU BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE IS A CHUMP IN LIFE" and "ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT RIDICULE, STAB AND BELITTLE SOMEONE FOR ACTUALLY "HAVING A LIFE" THAT IS NOT 1 MILLION PERCENT DEDICATED TO COMICS.... I HAVE HAD A LIFE!!!" has nothing to do with being close to retirement. Calling people "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" is not a generational thing.

So, maybe this guy is the real deal. Maybe his copy of AF 15 brings light to the world. But his post makes him sound like so many other belligerent jerks who've come here briefly to argue about and defend their scammy eBay listings.

Here, let me try your method:

1. ARE ALL THE DEFECTS VISIBLE ON THE SMALL PHOTO? No… but the closer I put the camera the more blurry the photos became… but the front cover is breathtaking. Besides, the photos are not small… and if you wanted to see the book and actually read the auction, I offer the bidders to see larger images if they send their e-mail address.

2. IS THE RIGHT EDGE TRIMMED TO ACCOUNT FOR THE 'UNDERHANG'? One buyer measured a number of his silver age books and this measures within boundaries…. Not trimmed…. But there is a 1/8” gap at the spine, visible in the photo of the interior.

3. ARE THE COVER AND INTERIOR ORIGINAL, OR HAVE THEY BEEN MARRIED TOGETHER? The cover and interior are original… not married together, whatever that means…

4. WHY DOES THE AUCTION NOT PROVIDE A GRADE FOR THE COMIC? I DON'T RECALL 'VERY HIGH GRADE' BEING ONE OF THE OPTIONS LISTED IN OVERSTREET OR GENERALLY ACCEPTED BY THE HOBBY. Again, if you read the auction, I stated it’s probably a Very Fine to Near Mint… so read it !

5. WHY IS PAYPAL NOT A VIABLE PAYMENT OPTION, WHEN IT WOULD PROVIDE THE BUYER WITH SOME DEGREE OF PROTECTION AGAINST FRAUD? If you knew anything, Bank Transfers are more secure and provide the buyer with all the detailed information of the seller. Further, you know exactly whom you’re sending the money to and it also acts as a receipt for your records.

6. IT CAN'T BE THAT TOUGH TO GET A COMIC GRADED BY CGC ALL THE WAY FROM CANADA, SINCE THERE ARE PLENTY OF CANADIAN COLLECTORS AND DEALERS WHO DO SO ALL THE TIME. I never bothered because I was never planning on re-selling the book.

7. THE SAME 'DANGERS' OF YOUR COMIC BEING LOST OR DAMAGED APPLY TO YOUR SALE OF IT. IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SELL IT, WHY ISN'T IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SEND IT TO A THIRD PARTY FOR GRADING AND RESTORATION ANALYSIS? Wrong… when someone buys it, the shipping is “one direction” and it’s done. It will also be insured for the full value, to which the buyer would have to pay any fees for.

8. HAVE YOU CHANGED E-BAY IDENTITY OFTEN AND, IF SO, WHY? We changed the main venue for the products being sold and the name didn’t reflect it.

To answer someone else’s questions about the photo lab business… NO…. PHOTO LABS PRODUCE SILVER-HALIDE PRINTS ON PHOTOGRAPHIC PAPER AND YOU CANNOT MAKE A COMIC FROM THIS MATERIAL, NOR PRINT IT ON BOTH SIDES…. I THINK I’M ATTEMPTING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS FROM PEOPLE THAT DON’T HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT AND NO EXPERIENCE WITH BUSINESS…

YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED FOR ATTACKING SOMEONE LIKE THIS AND RUINING THEIR REPUTATION… YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT FRAUD HERE AND THAT’S A VERY SERIOUS OFFENCE…. ALSO, IN DOING THIS, IT’S A FORM OF LIBEL…

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A FRIEND IN TORONTO, I’M MORE THAN HAPPY TO SHOW THEM THE BOOK… THEN MAYBE EVERYONE WILL FEEL BETTER.

I'm in Toronto? Why not bring it to the Wizard Show this weekend? PM sent.

(shrug)

As I say, it's out of my price range either way. If it is the real deal, he's doing himself a disservice by not getting it graded.

As for why he might be failing miserably ... I don't think being older is any reason to write in all caps. Saying stuff like "SO LET ME STRAIGHTEN OUT ALL OF YOU BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE IS A CHUMP IN LIFE" and "ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT RIDICULE, STAB AND BELITTLE SOMEONE FOR ACTUALLY "HAVING A LIFE" THAT IS NOT 1 MILLION PERCENT DEDICATED TO COMICS.... I HAVE HAD A LIFE!!!" has nothing to do with being close to retirement. Calling people "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" is not a generational thing.

So, maybe this guy is the real deal. Maybe his copy of AF 15 brings light to the world. But his post makes him sound like so many other belligerent jerks who've come here briefly to argue about and defend their scammy eBay listings.

Or maybe he's not that used to communication on a chat forum (I almost got run out of town when I first joined here) and he simply logged in and saw a bunch of yokels tearing him to pieces in a one sided discussion.

At this point either side could be right.

As for the all caps thing, I used to type in all caps as well and didn't realize it was a no-no initially. Some people didn't go to "internet posting school" and learned this the hard way.

(shrug)

Or maybe he's not that used to communication on a chat forum (I almost got run out of town when I first joined here) and he simply logging in and saw a bunch of yokels.

At this point either side could be right.

As for the all caps thing, I used to type in all caps as well and didn't realize it was a no-no initially. Some people didn't go to "internet posting school" and learned this the hard way.

You are more forgiving and understanding than I.

You are more forgiving and understanding than I.

I'm neither right now. I'm just not judging him without having all the facts.

(shrug)

It's easy to make a one sided story and run with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than bullying.

In my experience older people aren't necessarily as tech savvy as younger people. My kids are already schooling me and I grew up in technology. I'd say that benefit of the doubt is in order when commnication with someone like this unless they refuse to be reasonable. So far he's done nothing wrong other than be angry that he got attacked...oh and didn't submit the book to CGC...and we all know that there are still 1000's of people that won't do that because they don't trust the process.

(shrug)

I'm pretty sure regardless of the era you were born, it's common knowledge you don't capitalize every letter of every word no matter the format. I'd be annoyed if he mailed me a letter in all caps... but his ability to turn off the caps lock key or remove his pinky from the shift key is not the (real) issue here. Like many others, I'll interested to see how this turns out. This guy seems like he knows enough to know that if he's wants to profit big from this book, he should CGC it.

I'm pretty sure regardless of the era you were born, it's common knowledge you don't capitalize every letter of every word no matter the format. I'd be annoyed if he mailed me a letter in all caps... but his ability to turn off the caps lock key or remove his pinky from the shift key is not the (real) issue here. Like many others, I'll interested to see how this turns out. This guy seems like he knows enough to know that if he's wants to profit big from this book, he should CGC it.

How old are you? Serious question, not meant to be offensive.

The reason I ask is because I email with a lot of people over 50 years of age and many of them capitalize...some of them are national dealers who are truly nice people. To judge someone's personality by one criteria like whether they capitalize letters or not is ridiculous.

Also, I'll repeat, there are literally 1000's of people who do honestly not trust CGC, or their grading services. These are not people looking to rip someone off. They are simply old school collectors who have not been exposed to the new paradigm of Comic Book grading and encapsulation. Again, it's not fair to judge someone unless you have all the facts.

Anyhow, I've gotten an email from him and I'm going to see if he lets me see the book in person. I'm not far from him.

The reason I ask is because I email with a lot of people over 50 years of age and many of them capitalize...some of them are national dealers who are truly nice people. To judge someone's personality by one criteria like whether they capitalize letters or not is ridiculous.

Also, I'll repeat, there are literally 1000's of people who do honestly not trust CGC, or their grading services. These are not people looking to rip someone off. They are simply old school collectors who have not been exposed to the new paradigm of Comic Book grading and encapsulation. Again, it's not fair to judge someone unless you have all the facts.

Anyhow, I've gotten an email from him and I'm going to see if he lets me see the book in person. I'm not far from him.

Good stuff Roy. Sorry I ddin't see your post about contacting him until I sent my reply to his post. Didn't mean to skate you. :foryou:

Goodluck Roy, at the very least it will probably be interesting and hopefully the gentlemen will be nicer in person. Hopefully it's just a "lost in translation" issue.

Ty

I AM THE OWNER OF THE AMAZING FANTASY 15 BEING SOLD ON EBAY...

WHAT IS EVERYONE'S PROBLEM?

I'VE BEEN COLLECTING COMICS SINCE 1972... I'VE BEEN TO DOZENS OF CONVENTIONS, STOPPED COLLECTING IN 1993 AND NOW THAT I'M CLOSER TO RETIREMENT, I'M SELLING OFF SOME OF MY COLLECTION.

THE AMAZING FANTASY 15 THAT I'M SELLING IS 100% REAL... COVER INCLUDED... NOT A REPRODUCTION COVER, NOT A FAKE, NOT SOME WEIRD RENDITION OF THE BOOK... BUT THE ORIGINAL BOOK... ALTHOUGH RESTORED VERY WELL...

SO LET ME STRAIGHTEN OUT ALL OF YOU BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE IS A CHUMP IN LIFE... I HAVE PRIVATE BIDDING BECAUSE IT WAS SET UP THAT WAY FROM 10 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS THE LARGEST PHOTO LAB DEALER ON THE PLANET AND NEVER BOTHERED TO CHANGE IT. AT THE TIME BUYERS WANTED THIS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T WANT THE COMPETITION TO KNOW WHEN THEY PURCHASED NEW EQUIPMENT.... UNDERSTOOD?

MY FEEDBACK ISN'T WEIRD BUT SOME individual_without_enough_empathy BOUGHT A PROTOTYPE TOY GUN (AS I ALSO MANUFACTURED THESE IN THE 80'S) AND THE person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point THOUGHT IT WAS A FAKE... THEN HE TOLD HIS BUDDY WHO BOUGHT 2 OF THEM AND THEY BOTH LEFT NEG FEEDBACK ... EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN 1000% HAPPY.... ALL 70 OTHER BUYERS !

AS FOR THE BOOK... I BOUGHT IT AT A CONVENTION HERE IN TORONTO ONTARIO CANADA IN 1987... I TOLD THE STORY OF RESTORATION BECAUSE THAT'S THE STORY I WAS TOLD... PERIOD...

I NEVER SENT ANY COMICS TO CGC BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

1. PAYING THE SHIPPING, DUTY AND TAXES TO THE US.

2. PAYING CGC (WHICH BACK THEN NOBODY KNEW MUCH ABOUT)

3. PAYING THE FULL VALUE OF CUSTOMS AND SHIPPING AND DUTY BACK.

4. TAKING A CHANCE ON IT GETTING DAMAGED

5. TAKING A CHANCE ON IT GETTING LOST.

6. IF IT DID GET LOST, IT'S A MAJOR HEADACHE TO GET THAT DENOMINATION BACK.

NOW... I WANT EVERYONE IN THIS POST TO DRIVE TO TORONTO AND PERSONALLY INSPECT THE BOOK... AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, THEN I'LL TAKE IT TO SILVER SNAIL COMICS HERE IN TORONTO, TO WHICH I HAVE KNOWN THE OWNER RON VAN LEWELYN SINCE 1974, WHILE HE WORKED AT BAKKA BOOKS BEFORE HE OPENED SILVER SNAIL... I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN HIM IN 10 YEARS AND HE WILL KNOW ME POINT BLANK... THAT'S HOW WELL WE'VE KNOWN EACH OTHER OVER THE YEARS.... I EVEN DID CORPORATE WORK FOR HIM...

ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT RIDICULE, STAB AND BELITTLE SOMEONE FOR ACTUALLY "HAVING A LIFE" THAT IS NOT 1 MILLION PERCENT DEDICATED TO COMICS.... I HAVE HAD A LIFE!!!

AND THE COMICS I'VE ACCUMULATED HAVE BEEN KEPT PROPERLY...

IF ANY OF YOU PEOPLE NOTICED MY OTHER AUCTIONS, I ALSO HAVE A SILVER STREAK 6.... AND A SPIDER MAN 1 AND MANY OTHER KEY BOOKS.... BIG DEAL... BACK YEARS AGO THEY WERE CHEAP AND I JUST KEPT THEM...

AND... LET ME FINISH THIS OFF BY SAYING THAT EVEN IF THE BOOK DOES SELL FOR A HALF DECENT PRICE... IT'S STILL NOT A LOT OF MONEY!!!!

SO STOP BEING SO JEALOUS, PETTY AND IDIOTIC OVER THE WHOLE ORDEAL BECAUSE I HAVE THE COMIC OF YOUR DREAMS... OR WHATEVER YOU'RE FEELING...

THIS IS JUST PATHETIC AND YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES... ARE ANY OF YOU HERE IN TORONTO? WANT TO SEE THE BOOK IN PERSON? SHOULD I SEND IT OUT TO CGC JUST TO SHUT ALL OF YOU UP?

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS A VALUABLE BOOK AND IT'S NOT CGC'D, IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT REAL... IT JUST MEANS I HAVEN'T DONE IT !!!

Well that clears it right up. Thanks for setting all these retards straight. :golfclap:

Just as an FYI in case you ever do decide to submit a book directly:

As long as you keep documentation that the book was originally shipped from Canada for purposes of grading and is being returned to you (i.e. your CGC submission form and postal receipt), then Canada Customs should never charge duty for anything more than the grading fees, plus their $5 customs fee.

You may have to file for a refund if they do mistakenly assess duty, but I've never had an issue with any of my CGC submissions.

Just as an FYI in case you ever do decide to submit a book directly:

As long as you keep documentation that the book was originally shipped from Canada for purposes of grading and is being returned to you (i.e. your CGC submission form and postal receipt), then Canada Customs should never charge duty for anything more than the grading fees, plus their $5 customs fee.

You may have to file for a refund if they do mistakenly assess duty, but I've never had an issue with any of my CGC submissions.

Ignore this post ffrontier. These retards can't tell you anything you don't already know. Stick to your guns brother! :headbang:

The problem is that comic collecting as a hobby is rife with con artists. There are routinely threads here about sellers who:

a) pass off restored books as unrestored

b) overgrade

c) pass off reprints as original copies

d) use reproduction covers

e) trim books

f) use payment methods that make obtaining a refund difficult

g) use shill bidder accounts to inflate auction prices

h) use private feedback and/or frequent name changes to hide past misdealings

Every few months there's someone new who comes here after they got conned for thousands of dollars by someone with a defective moral compass.

Over the years, the folks on this board have learned to identify the "danger signals" in auction listings. Threads like these pop up to warn folks of potential risk, because the posters are concerned that their friends or fellow collectors might be taken in by a scam.

Your auction contains a number of those "danger signals" I mentioned. If you're legitimate, then don't take it personally. The folks here are just trying to look out for one another.

The problem is that comic collecting as a hobby is rife with con artists. There are routinely threads here about sellers who:

a) pass off restored books as unrestored

b) overgrade

c) pass off reprints as original copies

d) use reproduction covers

e) trim books

f) use payment methods that make obtaining a refund difficult

g) use shill bidder accounts to inflate auction prices

h) use private feedback and/or frequent name changes to hide past misdealings

Every few months there's someone new who comes here after they got conned for thousands of dollars by someone with a defective moral compass.

Over the years, the folks on this board have learned to identify the "danger signals" in auction listings. Threads like these pop up to warn folks of potential risk, because the posters are concerned that their friends or fellow collectors might be taken in by a scam.

Your auction contains a number of those "danger signals" I mentioned. If you're legitimate, then don't take it personally. The folks here are just trying to look out for one another.

Another person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point with no life. WHERE DO THEY KEEP COMING FROM?! :pullhair:

I find nothing ridiculous about proper and effective communication. I'm sorry, but if you can't put together complete, proper, coherent sentences you lose all credibility in my mind. I'm not saying you have to have the vocabulary, grammar and punctuation of a Harvard scholar, but come on. All caps? That's as annoying as no caps, and slightly less annoying than no punctuation.

And to answer your question, I'm 31 and deal with people every day who despise the fact that they have to use a computer, can't figure out 'the internet' and hate e-mail.... but they understand how the caps lock/shift key works. I'd understand if the guy was a legit new computer user, but this guy has had an eBay account for over 10 years. He knows better than to use all caps.

Defend the book all you want. Hopefully it is legit; it would be an amazing find. Defend the guy, maybe he is a nice guy and just defending what he knows is the truth. Defend his use of caps if you feel it necessary... but since you do have a line of communication to him let him know what a tool it makes him look like.