• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 on the Bay Restored VERY HIGH GRADE

170 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure regardless of the era you were born, it's common knowledge you don't capitalize every letter of every word no matter the format. I'd be annoyed if he mailed me a letter in all caps... but his ability to turn off the caps lock key or remove his pinky from the shift key is not the (real) issue here. Like many others, I'll interested to see how this turns out. This guy seems like he knows enough to know that if he's wants to profit big from this book, he should CGC it.

How old are you? Serious question, not meant to be offensive.

The reason I ask is because I email with a lot of people over 50 years of age and many of them capitalize...some of them are national dealers who are truly nice people. To judge someone's personality by one criteria like whether they capitalize letters or not is ridiculous.

I find nothing ridiculous about proper and effective communication. I'm sorry, but if you can't put together complete, proper, coherent sentences you lose all credibility in my mind. I'm not saying you have to have the vocabulary, grammar and punctuation of a Harvard scholar, but come on. All caps? That's as annoying as no caps, and slightly less annoying than no punctuation.

And to answer your question, I'm 31 and deal with people every day who despise the fact that they have to use a computer, can't figure out 'the internet' and hate e-mail.... but they understand how the caps lock/shift key works. I'd understand if the guy was a legit new computer user, but this guy has had an eBay account for over 10 years. He knows better than to use all caps.

Defend the book all you want. Hopefully it is legit; it would be an amazing find. Defend the guy, maybe he is a nice guy and just defending what he knows is the truth. Defend his use of caps if you feel it necessary... but since you do have a line of communication to him let him know what a tool it makes him look like.

This guy is the worst one of all ffrontier. Trust me, I've been around long enough to know a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point when I see one and this dude fits the bill! Just put him on ignore along with all of the other knuckle dragging mongoloids in this thread (other than me of course).

Somebody try to con me twice (two people). And each time, it was the same story, Paypal is not secure enough, only bank transfer. I even received a email from a fake bank with all the information.

I do not say the seller can be trusted or not. I am not here to judge. But Asking to a buyer or a seller to use bank transfer is a big NO in my book.

Even as a seller, there was a time, the buyer wanted to go through bank transfer. His bank send me an email explaining me that the money will be wired to my bank account once the item is received (according to the tracking number).

One time, there was a spam with Paypal payment (I was the seller) but when there is a risk Paypal just write it as pending or under investigation.

I'm pretty sure regardless of the era you were born, it's common knowledge you don't capitalize every letter of every word no matter the format. I'd be annoyed if he mailed me a letter in all caps... but his ability to turn off the caps lock key or remove his pinky from the shift key is not the (real) issue here. Like many others, I'll interested to see how this turns out. This guy seems like he knows enough to know that if he's wants to profit big from this book, he should CGC it.

The reason I ask is because I email with a lot of people over 50 years of age and many of them capitalize...some of them are national dealers who are truly nice people. To judge someone's personality by one criteria like whether they capitalize letters or not is ridiculous.

I find nothing ridiculous about proper and effective communication. I'm sorry, but if you can't put together complete, proper, coherent sentences you lose all credibility in my mind. I'm not saying you have to have the vocabulary, grammar and punctuation of a Harvard scholar, but come on. All caps? That's as annoying as no caps, and slightly less annoying than no punctuation.

And to answer your question, I'm 31 and deal with people every day who despise the fact that they have to use a computer, can't figure out 'the internet' and hate e-mail.... but they understand how the caps lock/shift key works. I'd understand if the guy was a legit new computer user, but this guy has had an eBay account for over 10 years. He knows better than to use all caps.

Defend the book all you want. Hopefully it is legit; it would be an amazing find. Defend the guy, maybe he is a nice guy and just defending what he knows is the truth. Defend his use of caps if you feel it necessary... but since you do have a line of communication to him let him know what a tool it makes him look like.

This guy is the worst one of all ffrontier. Trust me, I've been around long enough to know a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point when I see one and this dude fits the bill! Just put him on ignore along with all of the other knuckle dragging mongoloids in this thread (other than me of course).

Wait, are you calling me a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? If so, please explain how I 'fit the bill'.

Also, I'll repeat, there are literally 1000's of people who do honestly not trust CGC, or their grading services. These are not people looking to rip someone off. They are simply old school collectors who have not been exposed to the new paradigm of Comic Book grading and encapsulation. Again, it's not fair to judge someone unless you have all the facts.

Anyhow, I've gotten an email from him and I'm going to see if he lets me see the book in person. I'm not far from him.

I gotta back Roy on this as i was pretty much 1 of those people up until about a year ago. Being part of this little world we have here, we sometimes forget that there are MANY collectors out there, some with AMAZING books/collections, that dont even really know about CGC much less use it (thumbs u

Most of the time, you guys are right and it's a scam but there are definitely the needle in the haystacks out there that are legit. Personally, that cover looks like a reprint to me but Roy knows MUCH more than i do for sure so i'll wait to see what he says this guy has. I wont be surprised if Roy comes back to say that this IS a HG AF15 PLOD.

Wait, are you calling me a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point? If so, please explain how I 'fit the bill'.

:gossip: Someone has to take ffrontier's side in all of this and who better than me? :acclaim:

Just go with it man! It'll be fun, trust me. /:gossip:

:gossip: Someone has to take ffrontier's side in all of this and who better than me? :acclaim:

Just go with it man! It'll fun, trust me. /:gossip:

Well played sir, well played.

You can trust me, I sell comic books........and I'm old.

You can trust me, I sell comic books........and I'm old.

I call B.S., if you were old and sold comics you would have your caps lock key on.

Isn't that what we've learned so far? (shrug)

IGNORE THIS GUY FFRONTIER. HE'S AN AGEIST AND A PROFILER. AND YOUNG, I'M SURE OF IT.

I just had a 1 hour conversation with Roy...

Interesting guy... and we exchanged a lot of information in a very short time. He soon realized that I've been a collector for many years as I know most of the comic shop owners here in Toronto as well as he does.

I think by the time we finished our conversation, he wanted to buy the book.. but he also realized that I'm not someone that has had the time time or inertia to make that huge effort of dealing with Customs, getting receipts of shipping for return purposes and all the associated with sending a book to CGC from Canada.

The reason for the "ALL CAPS" is not old school... it's a form of yelling... as you all rightfully deserved it.

I did not call anyone here a "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point"... and if you read back, I said that a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point bought a toy cap gun from me and was too stupid to realize it was original and he thought it was a fake and complained... so the tenure of direction was toward him and not to anyone on this website... but all the other comments were of course...

I've been insulted and Roy heard an ear full for about an hour... and he defended all of you and after the "venting", I started to calm down a bit.

I have a lot of comics... lots.... I had been buying them since 1975 and stopped in 1993... I also bought the entire inventory of Planet Earth Comics when my friend that ran it became ill with Crone's Disease in 1989.

At the time, comic shops were dropping like flies and although I always wanted to open my own store, there were more "effective" ways for me to make money in life, so it never happened.

So there you have it... yes the AF 15 is original, yes it has restoration, yes it's pretty and I sealed it in mylar and never opened it until last week and you can see the restoration work (barely) on the inside of the front and back covers. They did a good job and the book photographs very well.

I know industry has changed a lot and that's fine, but I will not sit back and be ridiculed and be dragged through the mud because I have a nice comic...

Roy will be back after the weekend and we'll be talking further about some other business developments so I look forward to our future dealings together... he now realizes a lot more than he did before... but I'll let him explain that to everyone on this site.

All the best....

Also, I'll repeat, there are literally 1000's of people who do honestly not trust CGC, or their grading services. These are not people looking to rip someone off. They are simply old school collectors who have not been exposed to the new paradigm of Comic Book grading and encapsulation. Again, it's not fair to judge someone unless you have all the facts.

Anyhow, I've gotten an email from him and I'm going to see if he lets me see the book in person. I'm not far from him.

Roy, don't forget your ski mask and gloves !! lol

I was rudely attacked when I joined the Boards (for no real legit reason).

Man, this has got to stop. We're all fellow collectors but with different backgrounds and goals.

Please.

Roy can't come here to see the book...

He lives 2 hours away and he's leaving tonight for Chicago... but we tried...

I told him if the book doesn't climb to a certain amount by Friday, I'm pulling the auction and I'll keep it... and CGC it... I guess I'll just have to give it to my buddy to send it in for me, or something.

He's a nice guy and very bright... so I look forward to further developments regarding some of the ideas discussed.

Roy can't come here to see the book...

He lives 2 hours away and he's leaving tonight for Chicago... but we tried...

I told him if the book doesn't climb to a certain amount by Friday, I'm pulling the auction and I'll keep it... and CGC it... I guess I'll just have to give it to my buddy to send it in for me, or something.

He's a nice guy and very bright... so I look forward to further developments regarding some of the ideas discussed.

Sir, there is a Boardie in this thread who lives in Toronto...Bruno _s4

Welcome to the Boards.

I'm not an expert on resto, but if there is only a tear seal, it is a very nice book. The cover corners seem to match the book corners for roundness.

To the guy who listed it, where is the tear seal on this one and how extensive is it?

I'd like to hear what Roy has to say if he gets a chance to see it in person.