• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 on the Bay Restored VERY HIGH GRADE

170 posts in this topic

I went to the convention today... met Peter Dixon after not seeing him for about 15 years... he recognized right away of course...

Spoke to the CGC people and tried to pick up the girl that worked for them... well, she was great... but I brought a number of books with me that they wouldn't take... the Popeye Cartoon book, the first Charlie Chaplin book, Hans und Fritz... all in about VF to NM but they were too large and I couldn't submit them...

A fun day... also saw Bruno and Marco and their kids... tons of fun !!!

When they looked at the AF 15, they said it's possible that it could grade as high as an 8.5. As far as trimming is concerned, one of the bidders measured 30 of his silver age books and this measures correctly but I've also looked at other AF 15's, paying attention to the 12c price at the spine to the opposite side and it seems dead on...

I may insist that I send the book directly to CGC and then have it shipped directly to the winning bidder... that way, it protects everyone.

Good idea???

Probably a waste of money now. I think the buyer just got a great deal and if he/she wants it graded then they should send it in. You've probably disclosed enough in your listing to take an educated risk, so to me, you're dealing in good faith.

That brought a good price for what sounds like it'll be a slightly restored book. I didn't pay much more for my slightly restored copy.

I think the buyer would appreciate it if the book was submitted to CGC there at the convention.

I disagree - the time for submission by a seller is before the sale; I wouldn't recommend any action to this particular seller on behalf of the buyer. Whoever just won this for $8655.00 is the only person whose opinion matters. Who would want to win/pay then wait for CGC to return the book - what if the new owner wants to try & remove some of the colour touch or add dots in the Spidey eyes?

This ebay seller received good advice from RMA on the 13th recommending that he pursue a CGC submission, prior to selling, to ensure maximum profit & satisfaction of all parties.

Sent to the seller:

"The very best possible thing you could do would be to send it to CGC yourself. If you really want to get the most money for your return, you need to reassure buyers that what you've got is the real deal. We're discussing it on the CGC message boards, at cgccomics.com, if you'd like to see what we're discussing. Look in the Silver Age section.

If it costs too much money to send it to and from Canada yourself, I can put you in touch with several Canadian dealers who submit regularly and who would be MORE than happy to help you with your submission, including maybe sending it to someone in the US first (that you trust.)

It can only help. The money you spend on grading would be more than offset by the additional amount you'd get back. If this is an apparent 8.0-9.0, you could easily be looking at a legitimate $5,000-$10,000 book.

Good luck."

I just offered the buyer the option of me giving the book to CGC personally because their at the Toronto Convention all day tomorrow (March 20 2011). He declined and said that he's happy to just receive the book from me.

I guess it's his choice...

Great choice by the new owner as the book deserves to stay unslabbed. :golfclap:

I just want to thank everyone on this board for being so gracious and understanding and I can absolutely appreciate your skepticism when I first appeared.

I talked about this extensively with Bruno and Marco and how the board has experienced some eBay sellers that have had a rather "sorted" past and how many of you have been tricked into bad purchases unknowingly.

I feel good about everything that has happened, including the beginning as it brought us together and we were able to move through the problem stages and surface as a good community of people that can truly appreciate one another for their differences.

Today, I feel like I'm part of a group of people that will be very important in the future and I look forward to buying some comics with a new viewpoint and direction that's geared to the future of comic collecting and not the past.

CGC flipped when they saw the 1832 comic... I should have brought my other one from 1738 but forgot to grab it... but there will be next time, that's for sure..

Thanks again to everyone... LET'S RULE THE COMIC WORLD !

Sincerely,

Dave

How do you put up a photo?

Photobucket.com

It's free and easy.

Upload pictures there,and then use the drop down menu under each picture...the last option is a httm link to post on "message boards" or something like that,just copy it and paste it in your replys here...you will work thru the kinks..but thats the general info you need.

I don't know how to put a photo beside my name...

At the top, there's an arrow next to "My Stuff". Click it and then click on "my profile". Near the bottom, there's a place to upload an avatar. It's got a few size restrictions. You can either pick from a few stock avatars or upload your own. If you need help resizing a picture, don't be shy to ask.

This seller has 3 negatives and a neutral feedback within 2 weeks. Also listings are private and who lists a high end comic without having it graded. Too many red flags for me.

You've been a red flag ever since you got here. :roflmao: