• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay fee structure

127 posts in this topic

They are going to charge a FVF on shipping as well. At least for the free auctions in April. Not sure if that is new or not as well.

Yep that too. Free listing up to 50 items a month - meaning that to save $2 now I have to pay an additional $50 in FVFs on anything high dollar I sell doh!

I was just reading it...and the links to the forums, people are not happy...

and I can't say that I blame them.

ANYONE who is a collector and lives out of the US should write in protest, I have a feeling that this is going to stop a lot of people from shipping out of the US.

It certainly will affect my decision. I'll certainly do it from here, but not on eBay unless it's someone I know from this site.

How the hell can they charge on shipping when it is not part of the item cost

Because there are people overcharging on shipping to circumvent paying eBay's fees.

In order to get that money back, eBay has to punish everyone.

It's the fair thing to do.

I was just reading it...and the links to the forums, people are not happy...

and I can't say that I blame them.

ANYONE who is a collector and lives out of the US should write in protest, I have a feeling that this is going to stop a lot of people from shipping out of the US.

It certainly will affect my decision. I'll certainly do it from here, but not on eBay unless it's someone I know from this site.

I hadn't even thought about the international impact, what a terrible pricing decision!

In general I'm wary of companies that can't figure out how to competitively price their product. It seems like they're just randomly throwing out changes every 6 months to see if they stumble onto a fee structure that works. In the long run it makes it look like they have no idea what they're doing. As a customer, I'm angry - if I was an investor I'd be seriously worried...

I didn't think this was an increase, or maybe it was 8 or 8.25%? Anyway, it makes sense to charge a fee on postage, that will equalize that whole aspect which I found annoying as both buyer and seller.

I still can't figure out the store thing though for most sellers. So you save 1.5% on items below $50. So sure if you are selling a bunch of stuff for over $50 I can see it but here's the math as I figure it out.

Say you sell 100 items for $2000 per month, typical of an active but part time user.

So the 1.5% you save $30 but you pay $16 for the store (assuming lowest level) and you also have to pay an insertion fee of (on average) 25 cents per item. You only get 50 freebies as a non store owner so that makes it another $12.50.

So call it a wash but then, to keep up you have to have 100 items at $2000 per month each and every month. Not having a store just allows for so much more flexibility.

I don't sell that much there anymore, but I AM in the process of selling most my SA collection, so I started listing again...a lot of their changes make little sense for a seller like me. I find I do best with low starts, having free listing at ANY price, just clogs up the auctions and makes it harder to find real auctions like mine.

I'd rather pay the listing fees.

Paying a fee on International shipping is going to be a killer.

I absolutely agree, they are running around like chickens without heads making random decisions every few months and changing them. They HAD a niche...they are losing it in a race to become Amazon clones.

So the 1.5% you save $30 but you pay $16 for the store (assuming lowest level) and you also have to pay an insertion fee of (on average) 25 cents per item. You only get 50 freebies as a non store owner so that makes it another $12.50.

I'm not seeing that Ed, in one place it says 25-cents, but in another it seems to be a sliding scale going up to $2.00 per item. I think it depends on what level store you have.

Never having had a store (nor wanted one) I don't know how it was.

Yes, lol...very well...but I don't blame them for changing their fees, they ARE a business...I just blame them for changing them every 5 minutes and based on stupid reasons.

There certainly are sellers who WAY overcharge on shipping...it's easier for eBay to charge more for all sellers on all shipping, than to get rid of the sellers who overcharge.MUCH less work.

This involves just one change. The other way they might actually have to hire people, help the economy, be unique instead of a clone...

It's sad...

But they do (as a good friend of mine, just reminded me) serve a purpose. I sold every book I listed with 99 cent auctions, some went too low, but some were OK, and I have an empty space on the shelf...

So, I will bite the bullet and list more, but I won't be adding foreign shipping unless I know the person, or they are from here.

I already offer free domestic shipping. It costs about $25 to ship a single slab to Canada, Global Priority w/insurance. It costs about $37 for the same package to the UK. Cost. Not "S&H." That's just postage cost.

If eBay thinks they're going to suck a FVF out of that, they're smoking crack.

Anyone see this yet? Looks like a big increase in FVFs (9% or $100 max! :o )

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/feeupdate2011.html

As far as I can tell, for fixed price listings it's going to be pretty much a wash - for comics, the FVFs used to be 12% of the first $50, whereas it'll now be 11% of the first $50. But this will be offset by the inclusion of shipping cost in the total for FVF purposes.

A couple of examples:

$200 CGC book with a shipping cost of $8.

Current FVFs: $6.00 (12% of the first $50) + $9.00 (6% of the remainder) = $15.00

New FVFs: $5.50 (11% of the first $50) + $9.48 (6% of the remainder) = $14.98

$100 CGC book with a shipping cost of $8.

Current FVFs: $6.00 (12% of the first $50) + $3.00 (6% of the remainder) = $9.00

New FVFs: $5.50 (11% of the first $50) + $3.48 (6% of the remainder) = $8.98

$40 raw book with a shipping cost of $4.75.

Current FVFs: $4.80

New FVFs: $4.92

This is so short sighted by eBay. They just get dumber and dumber.

Due to the economy, I sell an incredible 30-40% of my store stock outside the USA. It is very common for me to sell a $50 lot of comics to Australia and have to charge $45.50 flat rate box shipping.

If they think I am going to pay them 11% on the $45.50 shipping they are freaking crazy! I already pay Paypal a premium for taking money from Canada and Europe (which already includes the shipping) so I am getting hosed there already.

NO MORE. As of the new fee start, I am going USA only, and will consider shipping out of country only on high ticket items where the shipping is not a large percentage of the total payment.

eBay is seriouly run by some the largest insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the USA. Their stupidity is frankly mind blowing. Watch their overall revneue drop like a prom dress as USA sellers cut off the rest of the world. It was hard enough to sell overseas anyway (Italian Post Office anyone????). This is the final straw. Yes, my sales volume will crash because Americans have little money right now for comics, but I would rather cut my sales 30% then have to pay eBay this unfair insane shipping fee.

:pullhair:doh!:pullhair:

Anyone see this yet? Looks like a big increase in FVFs (9% or $100 max! :o )

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/feeupdate2011.html

No surprise.

From a corporate standpoint, eBay needs to increase revenue. Earnings growth is the essence of financial success. Organic growth has slowed markedly, so fee increases are the alternative.

Expect a thread like this every 6-12 months, if not more frequently.