• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hiearchy - Final List

43 posts in this topic

That top ten is exactly as I would vote with one exception. I would swap TOS 39 for ASM 1. I love Spider Man 1 and really don't get the venom for that book around here.

I don't either. It would be 4th on my list

ASM1 4th?

I have all the Marvels and none of the DCs...and damned proud of it :baiting:

I got all but one of the DCs (SC#22) and almost half of the Marvels.

Sadly, I'm missing 4 of the Top 6 and at the current prices that's probably not going to change soon :sorry:

That top ten is exactly as I would vote with one exception. I would swap TOS 39 for ASM 1. I love Spider Man 1 and really don't get the venom for that book around here.

ASM1 4th?

It would be 3rd on my list:

1. AF15

2. FF1

3. ASM1

4. Hulk1

5. X-Men1

6. Adventure247

7. TOS39

8. JIM83

9. Little Dot1 (yeah, yeah, technically not a Silverage book)

10. MAD1 (IBID)

Not bad. Mad and Little Dot certainly don't get the pub that super heroes get but they are very strong books. I think I would have SC4 over Adventure 247 but your Marvels are in the exact order I would place them.

I really want an X-Men 1. :cloud9:

Only missing OAAW #83. Never really even thought about trying to get it.

Here's a pic I took of my overstreet top 20, all low grade though.

img2798c.jpg

Wow! I didn't realize you had all of those. Very cool (thumbs u

ASM1 4th?

Yep

I think a lot of the negativity ASM 1 gets is a bit reactionary. Folks, including myself, see it as strictly a second appearance in terms of the character. In terms of a comic on it's own, it didn't do much to advance things did it? As opposed to say Flash 105, which was the first (and successful) test to see if one of the new heroes could sustain his own title.

Which isn't to say people don't want a copy! I'd love to own an AMS 1, and it's got a great cover.

I think a lot of the negativity ASM 1 gets is a bit reactionary. Folks, including myself, see it as strictly a second appearance in terms of the character. In terms of a comic on it's own, it didn't do much to advance things did it? As opposed to say Flash 105, which was the first (and successful) test to see if one of the new heroes could sustain his own title.

:applause:

Which isn't to say people don't want a copy! I'd love to own an AMS 1, and it's got a great cover.

I must not be folks then :)

I've never once, until this poll started, ever heard (or read a comment) ASM #1 as being referred to as Spider-Man's second appearance. Aside from the mention in the price guide that is.

Honestly, in 40 years of collecting, I've only thought of the book as the #1 issue of Spider-Man, Marvel's #1 character. And as a former comic retailer, no one ever used the tactic of sayin "well it's only his second appearance" to try to haggle a better deal on a copy they wanted to buy, nor did I use that tactic when buying.

Plain and simple. The #1 issue of Spider-Man is much more important, to me, and those I've been around all these years, than the first appearances of any of the other Marvel superheroes, with the exception of the Fantastic Four.

In the 70s and 80s, I ranked the Marvels in terms of importance: FF1, AF 15, ASM 1. But as the years wore on, I begrdugingly accepted the fact that AF 15 was probably the top Marvel SA book in terms of impact on the history of the SA

I must not be folks then :)

I've never once, until this poll started, ever heard (or read a comment) ASM #1 as being referred to as Spider-Man's second appearance. Aside from the mention in the price guide that is.

Honestly, in 40 years of collecting, I've only thought of the book as the #1 issue of Spider-Man, Marvel's #1 character. And as a former comic retailer, no one ever used the tactic of sayin "well it's only his second appearance" to try to haggle a better deal on a copy they wanted to buy, nor did I use that tactic when buying.

Plain and simple. The #1 issue of Spider-Man is much more important, to me, and those I've been around all these years, than the first appearances of any of the other Marvel superheroes, with the exception of the Fantastic Four.

In the 70s and 80s, I ranked the Marvels in terms of importance: FF1, AF 15, ASM 1. But as the years wore on, I begrdugingly accepted the fact that AF 15 was probably the top Marvel SA book in terms of impact on the history of the SA

Agree with you. It seems as though someone has a grudge against ASM1 and initiated an anti-ASM 1 campaign on this message board. Soon, a flock of disgruntled lemmings followed suit to increase the venom in an attempt to decrease the books' importance in an attempt to elevate the Distinguished Competition.

Agree 100%.

If Superman and Batman had just their 1st appearance and no ongoing series in Action and Detective, I think their #1 issues would be even more significant.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 is a monster, and if I could keep just one comic between my ASM 1 and my Hulk 1, I'd keep the Spidey and never think twice about it.

Agree 100%.

If Superman and Batman had just their 1st appearance and no ongoing series in Action and Detective, I think their #1 issues would be even more significant.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 is a monster, and if I could keep just one comic between my ASM 1 and my Hulk 1, I'd keep the Spidey and never think twice about it.

Familiarity breeds contempt?

I think the problem has been the current availability of numerous copies of ASM #1.

If it was a case that I needed to keep only one copy in the short to medium term I would sell the ASM #1 as I could always get another copy down the line.

It's probably the one SA key I've owned most copies of (at least 17 - not all at the same time). In contrast I have only owned 4 Hulk #1s (of which the best was a 5.5).

Agree 100%.

I think the problem has been the current availability of numerous copies of ASM #1.

If it was a case that I needed to keep only one copy in the short to medium term I would sell the ASM #1 as I could always get another copy down the line.

It's probably the one SA key I've owned most copies of (at least 17 - not all at the same time). In contrast I have only owned 4 Hulk #1s (of which the best was a 5.5).

Well, I'm a bit confused by the above because the intent of this poll was to rank the books in order of importance. I don't think perceived temporary increase in availability of one book translates into decreased importance.

Agree 100%.

Well, I'm a bit confused by the above because the intent of this poll was to rank the books in order of importance. I don't think perceived temporary increase in availability of one book translates into decreased importance.

It's more a comment on whether to hold an ASM #1 rather than a Hulk #1 (ASM #1 has always seemed to me to be in high supply - similar to FF#48).

In terms of importance ASM #1 like Flash #105 etc is always going to suffer in a poll like this as people generally link importance to characters and rank first appearances (individuals or teams) over any other issues. In this scenario ASM #1 actually did well to rank as high as it did.

This is best illustrated by where Flash #123 finished.