• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting comic book sales numbers.

33 posts in this topic

"events involving the majority of the publishing line and smaller, event-like storylines across a group of titles to boost sales."

If anything these events and crossovers turn more people off buying comics than onto buying more.

Unfortunately, this is simply not true in the short term, as the numbers show. Most of us feel it is true in the long term, but obviously publishers either don't feel that way or they feel the short term gain outweighs the long term loss.

"events involving the majority of the publishing line and smaller, event-like storylines across a group of titles to boost sales."

If anything these events and crossovers turn more people off buying comics than onto buying more.

+3-Completely agree.

:banana: Chris

Unfortunately, this is simply not true in the short term, as the numbers show. Most of us feel it is true in the long term, but obviously publishers either don't feel that way or they feel the short term gain outweighs the long term loss.

Well they're obviously not learning their lesson. Look at sales figures today compared to sales figures when the first big event or crossover hit the stands.

Obviously there are a lot of completists out there, and a lot of people who buy into events. But more than 50% of comic buyers? I wouldn't have thought so.

But, seeing how these suckers are now flooding the market at such a ridiculous rate, and that many titles now come with multiple variants, like the 100 variant covers for the new Godzilla title (!), the value in them are bound to lessen.

I think the Godzilla promotion is going to work. The reasoning for the variants is different than simply pumping out more covers to boost sales numbers. For those that don't know, IDW is creating special covers for each retailer that orders 500 copies of the book. The covers are individualized for each specific retailer and involve the ordering store interacting with Godzilla in some way (usually being crushed). It is a brilliant idea because it localizes the book both for store advertising and for advertising of the new title. And each store's loyal customers are emotionally invested in the title, what with their store getting stomped on by the big lizard. We have taken part and it has been ridiculously easy to get press coverage. And we are already close to being sold out on the book through advance orders weeks before release. We have been reordering the standard cover just to make sure we have something to offer. Pretty darn cool in this supposedly down time for new issues.

BTW, there is one other book buried in the top 300 whose sales have increased month to month over the last year. If anyone has not read Terry Moore's Echo I highly highly recommend it. Sci-fi end-of-the-world stuff that is entirely engrossing and beautifully drawn. There are five trades out covering the first 25 issues. Get 'em, read 'em, enjoy them, and help support one of the good guys in the comic business (thumbs u

BTW, there is one other book buried in the top 300 whose sales have increased month to month over the last year. If anyone has not read Terry Moore's Echo I highly highly recommend it. Sci-fi end-of-the-world stuff that is entirely engrossing and beautifully drawn. There are five trades out covering the first 25 issues. Get 'em, read 'em, enjoy them, and help support one of the good guys in the comic business (thumbs u

Seconded. (thumbs u

25-30,000 sales is actually pretty close to some DC numbers of 30 years ago on titles that printed 80-100,000 copies, but saw 50-60%+ of them getting returned unsold. of course, DC was on the brink of oblivion sales-wise then...

Seconded. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u ( thirded? (shrug) )

But, seeing how these suckers are now flooding the market at such a ridiculous rate, and that many titles now come with multiple variants, like the 100 variant covers for the new Godzilla title (!), the value in them are bound to lessen.

I think the Godzilla promotion is going to work. The reasoning for the variants is different than simply pumping out more covers to boost sales numbers. For those that don't know, IDW is creating special covers for each retailer that orders 500 copies of the book. The covers are individualized for each specific retailer and involve the ordering store interacting with Godzilla in some way (usually being crushed). It is a brilliant idea because it localizes the book both for store advertising and for advertising of the new title. And each store's loyal customers are emotionally invested in the title, what with their store getting stomped on by the big lizard. We have taken part and it has been ridiculously easy to get press coverage. And we are already close to being sold out on the book through advance orders weeks before release. We have been reordering the standard cover just to make sure we have something to offer. Pretty darn cool in this supposedly down time for new issues.

Now that's a thought-out idea that boosts sales for the publisher, and provides a more meaningful incentive for the retailer and the regulars who want to get a more personalized variant. I didn't know that the backdrop to the Godzilla variants when using that example (my bad). I should have just cited the usual drivel like Iron Man 500, Battle for the Cowl, etc., etc. when making my point.