• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twin Cities Pedigree shaping up..........

219 posts in this topic

Look at the DI overspray on this copy. It's just not a good looking copy.

X-men 13 9.6

Yeah, in that particular case the overspray makes it look stained.

It is stained.

Meaning what? That it's actually stained, or that you consider overspray a stain?

Overspray is an ink stain. It wasn't there when the book was printed. Bundles of books were sitting on pallets when a shipping clerk with a can of spray paint did his coloring job. We can all live with a hint of distributor ink on the edges of pages, but when it's actually on the front and back covers it should be noted as such and downgraded. If no downgrade, then it should be given a GLOD.

I can't understand how collectors, considering spending many thousands of dollars on a book, can overlook or ignore such an obvious defect.

That CGC would not consider it a defect is not surprising...

X-men 13 9.6

It is stained.

Meaning what? That it's actually stained, or that you consider overspray a stain?

Overspray is an ink stain. It wasn't there when the book was printed. Bundles of books were sitting on pallets when a shipping clerk with a can of spray paint did his coloring job. We can all live with a hint of distributor ink on the edges of pages, but when it's actually on the front and back covers it should be noted as such and downgraded. If no downgrade, then it should be given a GLOD.

I can't understand how collectors, considering spending many thousands of dollars on a book, can overlook or ignore such an obvious defect.

Educate me please. I thought sprayed comics were unsold and and marked so they weren't to go to stores. I never knew sprayed books made it to stores.

Books were colour coded with sprayed ink so that they could be easily identified for removal after their shelf life was over -- no checking of cover dates or issue numbers necessary.

X-men 13 9.6

It is stained.

Never bothered me, and I don't view it as a defect.

In my mind its less obstrusive than arrival dating, which isn't viewed as a defect either.

Point is, at least IMO, that both spray and arrival dates could have been present on a book bought on the shelf at the drugstore.

What fascinates me more is how these pedigrees manage to stay in such amazing condition throughout the decades.

I'd like to one day read a book on all these pedigrees and their histories on how or what methods of storage and conservation were utilized.

The one common element is they were purchased, put away and never touched for decades. Comics do really well when that happens!

Then it`s just a question WHERE they were stored for all those decades, both in terms of macro (general geography/climate--nice dry cool part of the world or hot humid part) and micro (location in the house--dark and consistently cool and dry part of the house like a basement or hot humid part of the house like the attic exacerbated by wide temperature and humidity variations).

I'm not sure I see what John means about these books being "yellowed", at least from the scans...I'd probably have to do some comparisons in hand to gauge their gloss & brightness, etc. Scans can be 'touched up' all kinds of ways to make the books look good, so I try not to go by them alone.

I think he`s being a bit harsh, but they`re not the whitest or brightest books I`ve ever seen. I`m assuming that Heritage would adjust the scans to make them look as white as possible, so if the scans reflect the whitest they can look without outright scan manipulation, then they`re not fantastically white.

However, compared to the Savannahs, where even many of the White paged books looked dingy and tan, these Twin Cities look like Curators!

One thing I notice, these Twin Cities have the RICHEST magenta strike I've ever seen....like they were printed yesterday. The Magenta is the first to go when exposed to sunlight. VERY sharp books to me....not at all bothered by the overspray. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

to be the 2nd best Silverage pedigree after Pac coast

look @ the grades of issues coming through on Heritage. serious serious hi grade white page pedigree quality.

Susha what? pedigree

Awesome books that have the"touch"

(thumbs u

It's funny that these books could be called dingy or stained and on when they are unattainable for 99 percent of us and look better than 99 percent of the same books.

My exposure to HG books is limited, due to my budgetary restrictions, but I have yet to see a nicer ASM 2 or 4. (shrug)

I understand that to have a collection be designated a pedigree will add a premium and therefore should be justified, but to pick out any defect on books that look much better than almost all similar examples seems petty. IMHO.

It's funny that these books could be called dingy or stained and on when they are unattainable for 99 percent of us and look better than 99 percent of the same books.

John doesn't usually fall into the 99%. He's got pretty exacting tastes but when you see the quality of the undercopies he sells, you can see the eye he has for quality.

I will definitely be going after some of the books but not all of them. X-men 13 is high on my list of wants but I can't see pulling the trigger on that one. Avengers 25 has the same problem with color loss on the top edge due to over spray. There's also a chip in the top edge that I would have thought would have rendered it a 9.6.

I'm not sure I see what John means about these books being "yellowed", at least from the scans...I'd probably have to do some comparisons in hand to gauge their gloss & brightness, etc. Scans can be 'touched up' all kinds of ways to make the books look good, so I try not to go by them alone.

I think he`s being a bit harsh, but they`re not the whitest or brightest books I`ve ever seen. I`m assuming that Heritage would adjust the scans to make them look as white as possible, so if the scans reflect the whitest they can look without outright scan manipulation, then they`re not fantastically white.

However, compared to the Savannahs, where even many of the White paged books looked dingy and tan, these Twin Cities look like Curators!

I think he is refering to the color of the cover stock. Many SA books have a little ink/oil transfer from the interior inks to the covers causing the cover stock to turn a light, uniform grey/tan. It's the reason beautiful blue cover books like JIM #83 turn grey rather than a bright blue. So even thought the book is structurally super higher grade, the transfer takes away from the cover whites and the brightness of the rest of the book.

I could be wrong (and I don't mean to take away from anything that this collection has to offer as it's a stunning collection so far) but I believe it is caused by a slightly warmer storage condition that allows the interior inks to break down and bleed.

I guess everbody has their peeves. I never even noticed it until it was pointed out.

I think he is refering to the color of the cover stock. Many SA books have a little ink/oil transfer from the interior inks to the covers causing the cover stock to turn a light, uniform grey/tan. It's the reason beautiful blue cover books like JIM #83 turn grey rather than a bright blue. So even thought the book is structurally super higher grade, the transfer takes away from the cover whites and the brightness of the rest of the book.

I could be wrong (and I don't mean to take away from anything that this collection has to offer as it's a stunning collection so far) but I believe it is caused by a slightly warmer storage condition that allows the interior inks to break down and bleed.

I guess everbody has their peeves. I never even noticed it until it was pointed out.

And the plastic of a slab also visually greys the colours of a book.

And the plastic of a slab also visually greys the colours of a book.

Hmm. That I had not noticed.

Although I`ve been as harsh a critic as anybody CGC`s overly liberal standards in designating some recent collections as pedigrees, I have to say that based upon what I`m seeing before, this collection probably deserves the designation.

It`s got consistently high grades, the books have the kind of eye appeal we would expect from a pedigree, it seems to have pretty good breadth and depth when it comes to Marvels, and unlike most of the recent "pedigrees", it has the mega-keys.

Although I`ve been as harsh a critic as anybody CGC`s overly liberal standards in designating some recent collections as pedigrees, I have to say that based upon what I`m seeing before, this collection probably deserves the designation.

It`s got consistently high grades, the books have the kind of eye appeal we would expect from a pedigree, it seems to have pretty good breadth and depth when it comes to Marvels, and unlike most of the recent "pedigrees", it has the mega-keys.

......I'd have to open a couple und put 'em to the sniff test before I weigh in. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the storage conditions too.

And it is the whiteness of the cover stock. I had an Rocky Mountain Avengers 8 (a mostly white covered issue so it was very obvious) and a non-pedigree Avengers 8 of the same grade. The Rocky Mountain had white pages and the non-pedigree had off-white. However, the non-pedigree's cover was not just noticeably but incredibly whiter than the cover of the Rocky Mountain.

One interesting thing about the recent pedigrees is that the Rocky Mountains, Savannahs, and Twin Cities were all very obviously each just purchased by one person and then stored under the same conditions. They all seem to have very unique characteristics.

The Sascha News pedigree (cough, cough), on the other hand, is obviously from several different sources.

One other thing that fascinates me is the DC Rocky Mountains. The RM Marvels are very consistent: yellowed covers getting worse the farther back you go. Even the 70 RMs have a slight yellowing if you look. The RM DCs have the same trait except that the very early ones are bright white.

It happens around 1966-67 (wish I could pin it down exact). Evidently (tip of hat to Roy for info), DC changed their paper stock at that time. Before it was of higher quality.