• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C2E2 report for the sig room (sorry, no pics)

10 posts in this topic

Hey there fellow SS junkies. :hi:

I thought for a change I'd post a con report here since no one ever seems to and almost everything I bought will be subbed for SS.

Overall I was less impressed with C2E2 this year, the guest list overall didn't seem to be up to par with last year. Personally I'd like to have seen more SA & BA writers & artists listed. I wish Reed would put together a list for this show like they do for New York but I'm sure a lot of the big names they get there live on the East Coast so... :whatev:

The room this year looks to be about the same size but in total there certainly seem to be fewer comic dealers. The two I noticed missing right off the bat were Motor City and Fantasy Comics, perhaps they opted to set up at WW Toronto.

There was a nice selection of books in the room though. I wasn't able to locate any of the top priority books on my want list but picked up some nice stuff none the less. Here's the list of books and dealers.

Greg Reece

Sub-Mariner #47 8.0 - 8.5

Presents much nicer though and I thought it'd look great with a Gene Colan sig on it.

Sub-Mariner #59 9.2 - 9.6?

Beautiful book that will eventually be subbed for a blue label. It'll most likely come back 9.2 or 9.4 but I wouldn't rule out a 9.6, I've seen a lot of 9.6s that don't look as nice as this.

Teen Titans #14 9.2 - 9.6?

Pretty much the same situation here as on the Subby #59. Ideally with this one though I'd love to be able to sub it for SS. Anyone have anything planned with Nick Cardy? :wishluck:

Worldwide Comics

Sub-Mariner #69 9.0 - 9.2

Great bronze-age cover by Romita, this is the Don Rosa copy. Yes, I'm planning on subbing it for SS. Complaints may be submitted to someone who cares. :devil:

Dale Roberts

Batman #227 7.5 - 8.5

Book presents really well but has a few defects that depending on the graders might get hammered in grading. I'll have that Adams guy scribble on this at some point.

Batman #244 9.2 - 9.4

Really nice copy, stunning color and gloss with a few spine stresses that barely break the color. Dale also had a nicer copy that I was VERY tempted by but I had set a budget for this show and was determined to stick with it. Again, Adams and scribble.

Phantom Stranger #14 9.2 - 9.4?

Awesome color & gloss on this one. Should be a solid 9.2 but I wouldn't rule out a 9.4 as a gift grade. Do I have to mention Adams, scribble again?

I had a good time and even bumped into Chandler and Sharon. Great people, it was nice to finally meet them face to face. They've been a huge help to me adding to my SS collection.

I asked him and Chandler told me about this years East Coast Legends signing, it's impressive to say the least. I won't go into any of that info here, I don't think that he's keeping it a secret but it's not my place to broadcast that info.

Well... that's about all I've got boys and girls. Until next time (when I'll try to remember the camera). (thumbs u

It is a busy show. Friday afternoon and most of Saturday, the aisles were clogged with people walking WAY too slow for my tastes. :) As I told others, I started to gain my "contempt for humanity" that I usually only get at the San Diego and New York cons. :)

The guest list was disappointing in comparison with last year, but there was definitely a lot to do at this year's show. Adam Hughes commanded a nice Friday morning line as people tried to get a sketch. Tony Moore had a healthy audience, especially as he raffled off 5 commission sketch spots per day. (sadly, I was 0 for 2) Even for signatures, Tony was very busy, and he had over 25 cool prints of his artwork for sale as well. C2E2 was smart in putting their most popular artists at the ends of each artist alley row, so there was space for people waiting in line. I saw lines/crowds for Ivan Reis, Doug Mahnke, Kevin Maguire, Gene Ha, and others.

Marvel booth was pretty busy, with Bendis, Quesada, Loeb, and Fraction as the main draws. DC had healthy lines for the Green Lantern artists, Bill Willingham, and Tony Daniel, among others. Dark Horse brought in Danny McBride for the Your Highness comic they put out, for a Saturday afternoon signing that wrapped around their booth! No Image or BOOM booth, though. Archaia and Avatar booths had steady business with a lot of their creators signing and sketching.

I'm already back home, but Friday and Saturday I got almost all my books signed by the likes of Tony Moore, John McCrea, Bendis, Quesada, Loeb, Willingham, and Maguire. Sadly, Garth Ennis was only available at 1 VIP signing off the floor. Also, the artist for Morning Glories cancelled, but at least my Morning Glories #1 will be signed by writer Nick Spencer. I should have a few cool books coming out of this show, right around the time of the Thor movie... :)

I had a great time at the show, too, seeing members from the board like Chuck Gower, jeBailey, Billy the Kidd, Hotflips, JJ, DWC, Dre, and the fine crew at CGC, among others. :) Now I gotta recover from all that walking, and get ready for WonderCon.

Joel

One thing I did forget to mention, I picked up a copy of Red Moon by David McAdoo, he was even nice enough to sign it and did a quick sketch of the main character (Mox) on the first page. I had read a post here on the boards a while back that it was a pretty good read and thought I'd give it a shot. I have to agree, good stuff. I'd recommend it anyone who's a fan of sequential art.