• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Features Cool Resubbed Green River Daredevil #18 9.6

28 posts in this topic

Yep, the two scans are from the same source, but were probably done a year apart. Scans can reveal much, but can also obscure much. Even the same scanner can produce very wide ranging and inconsistent results.

Not that I don't believe some 9.4's are borderline 9.6's but there's been a lot of them. This leads one to wonder if the variability in grading is due to CGC hiring a few new guys?

Brian

On a book like that, I believe that Borock and/or Haspel still make the final call. And after seeing the scans of that book, it's hard to say whether it's a 9.4 or 9.6. This isn't a resub that I'd get worked up about.

Not that I don't believe some 9.4's are borderline 9.6's but there's been a lot of them. This leads one to wonder if the variability in grading is due to CGC hiring a few new guys?

Brian

Gotta run, but managed to do this for you.......not conclusive but the 9.4 on the left seems to have some raggedness to the left of the top staple, which appears to be gone in the 9.6 on the right. The staple on the right actually looks like it has been stressed and the entry holes are bigger. Could be the scan, might not be.....talk to you later.

staples.jpg

Gotta run, but managed to do this for you.......not conclusive but the 9.4 on the left seems to have some raggedness to the left of the top staple, which appears to be gone in the 9.6 on the right. The staple on the right actually looks like it has been stressed and the entry holes are bigger. Could be the scan, might not be.....talk to you later.

staples.jpg

Excellent call Beyonder, thats the first thing I thought too - the 9.6 staple looks worse. I wonder what could have happened to make the grade go up .2, but increased the stress around the staple like that.......... hmmmmmmmm I wonder. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

staples.jpg

Excellent call Beyonder, thats the first thing I thought too - the 9.6 staple looks worse. I wonder what could have happened to make the grade go up .2, but increased the stress around the staple like that.......... hmmmmmmmm I wonder. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Not sure. Some p eople a re just lucky I gue ss .... confused-smiley-013.gif