• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which MAJOR Silver Age Key do you feel is above all else?

26 posts in this topic

I don't think it is even close. One book in the siler age stands in the stratosphere and all the others are not remotely close....Amazing Fantasy #15.
Thread closed? :popcorn:

lol - yes!

Thanks for the participation!

Fantastic Four #1. Started the Marvel Age of comics. The best selling and most innovative Marvel title of the sixties. Started a 102-issue uninterrupted run by Lee and Kirby, arguably the two greatest creators of the silver age.

Didn't we just do a poll on this?

Yar. AF 15 won. My vote was for FF too.

Its no contest...AF15 is THE Silver Age book above all others. The fellas that say it is/should be FF1 are still clinging onto the good ol' days from 20 years ago, when FF1 and Showcase4 ruled the roost.

Didn't we just do a poll on this?

Yar. AF 15 won. My vote was for FF too.

Its no contest...AF15 is THE Silver Age book above all others. The fellas that say it is/should be FF1 are still clinging onto the good ol' days from 20 years ago, when FF1 and Showcase4 ruled the roost.

+1

We did quite a thorough poll recently and AF 15 won convincingly. The marketplace has made its choice as well, with AF 15s consistantly going for more than any other SA comic. The 9.6 copy just sold for over a million, if the reports are true. I think one could state without fear of contradiction that Amazing Fantasy #15 is the premiere book of the Silver Age.

But I like Fantastic Four #1 better.

Fantastic Four #1. Started the Marvel Age of comics. The best selling and most innovative Marvel title of the sixties. Started a 102-issue uninterrupted run by Lee and Kirby, arguably the two greatest creators of the silver age.

(thumbs u

FF-PLOT1.jpgFF-PLOT2.jpg

FF-PLOT3.jpgFF-PLOT4.jpg

I know this topic is well-worn, but I really would appreciate the viewpoint expressed above to be articulated further.

What exactly has happened over the past 20 years to influence the relative importance of AF #15 and FF #1? The different popularity of their movie franchises? Since it's SA comics we're considering, I can't see what relevance that has to the importance of the two comics. The differences in popularity of the characters during the Bronze and Copper ages? That would seem highly relevant if one were comparing BA or CA issues, but we're not. There also seems little to choose between the two comics in terms of the highly realized characters and terrific villains and supporting characters that followed.

I love Spiderman as a character and ASM as a comic, but the granddaddy of the SA that changed the game for everything that followed is FF #1. It sold more than any other Marvel comic during the SA, begat the most popular comic book company over a 30 year period, and was created by the most prolific and arguably greatest SA writer and artist team. Their run on it lasted longer than any other creative team run in comics.

The notion that it's 'no contest', as some have posited, just doesn't hold up either historically or objectively.

Better question: AF 15 ASIDE, what other would you choose?

I'd probably say... Avengers 4. Absolutely top-notch, Kirby at his best cover and splash. Sorry--can't beat 'em. Avengers 1 splash is close, but the cover is only so-so. FF1 cover is great, but the splash is complete meh . JIM 83 would be good... but the stupid aliens and the chopper. :sick: I do like Amazing Spider-Man 1, and my copy is ESPECIALLY close to my heart, but Kirby screwed the cover up a bit.

No, I'd probably give the nod to AV 4. I love that book. Really need to see about a Joe Simon sig on mine.