• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty Silver Age of the day 4/2

13 posts in this topic

If slabbed, the book will come back with at least a qualified grade, if not an outright PLOD. The cover is the Eastern Press file copy. It was kept for over 30 years as an oversized cover, then trimmed to normal size and married to an interior. The cover colors are extraordinary, but the book probably is not worth slabbing.

Anyone else own early Marvels with Eastern Press file covers?

How did he do it?

Don Blake's walking cane gives off a blinding lightning bolt when he strikes the ground with it. The foolish bad guys think the Doctor has escaped, to be miraculously replaced by the Thunder god.

Hey, no one has argued that the earliest Thors had topnotch plots!

How did he do it?

Don Blake's walking cane gives off a blinding lightening bolt when he strikes the ground with it. The foolish bad guys think the Doctor has escaped, to be miraculously replaced by the Thunder god.

Hey, no one has argued that the earliest Thors had topnotch plots!

grin.gif

It's not a fake file copy. Eastern Press saved covers of the earliest Silver Age Marvels as massively oversized, untrimmed covers. This was one of them, until it was trimmed (before my eyes) and stapled to an interior. I have heard from other collectors of similar oversized covers in immaculate condition.

If slabbed, the book will come back with at least a qualified grade, if not an outright PLOD. The cover is the Eastern Press file copy. It was kept for over 30 years as an oversized cover, then trimmed to normal size and married to an interior. The cover colors are extraordinary, but the book probably is not worth slabbing.

Anyone else own early Marvels with Eastern Press file covers?

Maybe you should send it to CGG..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's not a fake file copy. Eastern Press saved covers of the earliest Silver Age Marvels as massively oversized, untrimmed covers. This was one of them, until it was trimmed (before my eyes) and stapled to an interior. I have heard from other collectors of similar oversized covers in immaculate condition.

you were there in Hartsdale?? cool. What can you tell us about those days?

Nice book! thumbsup2.gif Definitely one of the toughest Marvels to find in high grade. Perhaps the only tougher Marvel title to find in high grade, believe it or not, is Sgt Fury 3. That book is non-existent!

I've heard rumors of a very early issue of FF, graded 9.6 by CGC, that Tom B passed on because he was positive it was a married Eastern Press cover.

I have a Hulk #3 cgc 9.2 like that - they gave it the green label and noted cover married. But it is one of the most beautiful books I own. Since cgc grades much harsher on restored or qulified books, this one appears to be nm or even better -absolutely no creases or problems. I thin k I paid like $450 on ebay for it. They give the qualified label for weird things though - I have a 9.6 Tales to Astonish 93 that got it for tape on the centerfold! But on early Marvels I would gladly buy those eastern cover or married cover books.