• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Sign. Auction!!!

43 posts in this topic

Is anyone bidding in this auction and still the high bidder?

I'm still in the running for 12 books and a decent amount of dough. I feel that I bid reasonably high on some, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone else?

This was a lousy auction for me. It didn't have much I wanted to begin with.. then the few things I did want went for what I believe is WAY over market value (with eBay and floor bidding still to go) There were a very small # of books that I felt stayed reasonably priced, but on most of those I wasnt able to get my bids in anyway, since for some reason I couldn't access the site during the last 45 minutes of bidding. At the moment I believe I'm in the running for 2 books.

I guess it all works out though, since I probably shouldn't be spending anything in this auction anyway smile.gif

This was a lousy auction for me. It didn't have much I wanted to begin with.. then the few things I did want went for what I believe is WAY over market value (with eBay and floor bidding still to go) There were a very small # of books that I felt stayed reasonably priced, but on most of those I wasnt able to get my bids in anyway, since for some reason I couldn't access the site during the last 45 minutes of bidding. At the moment I believe I'm in the running for 2 books.

I guess it all works out though, since I probably shouldn't be spending anything in this auction anyway

Good luck on the two books.

I also had problems accessing the site, but was able to make bids in the last five minutes. I actually just got an email saying they would allow me to bid by phone on one of the lots (because I'm the high bidder and the books is worth several grand).

Good luck to everyone. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I haven't been able to log on for two days, same problem, if I can gain access, then invalid user. I called to try and get signed up for the phone access, but no luck, they said "sorry". Here I sit with $15k I had hoped to use to buy several books. If I consigned in this auction I would be pissed! This may be the last time I do a Heritage Auction given these problems.

looks like i missed a few.....i was high bidder on 1 book and 3 lithos/prints going into the floor bidding but thre is nothing like being there i guess to place the final bid. Oh well, I don't mind keeping the $1200....i am hoping i won 1. waiting for the site to be back up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I posted an "absentee" bid through eBay for a Heritage book. The results show that my bid exactly matched a floor bid ($550 for National Comics #9 CGC 7.5). The eBay ad says "If you and another bidder placed the same bid amount, the earlier bid takes priority." Since I placed my bid before the auction started, I presumably am the earlier bid and won the auction. However, it looks on eBay as if the floor bidder won the book...

Any advice on how this works? This is my first Heritage auction bid.

For those interested, here was Heritage's response to my situation of a tie between my absentee and the identical live bid. This seems a bit deceptive to me -- this is clearly contrary to the stated policy of "in case of a tie, first bidder wins," and contrary to how eBay auctions work.... mad.gif

For absentee and internet bids the earlier bid will always take

precedence. However for ties between absentee and floor bidders the

auctioneer decides who will be awarded the winning bid.

In reviewing the lot, it appears that a process called 'footing'

occurred. Since the auction is conducted with fixed increments, it is

possible that another bidder will win instead of the absentee bid.

Here's an example. Say you place an absentee bid of $550.00. I am on the

floor bidding live. The auctioneer opens the bidding at $400.00, which

goes to you. The next increment is $450.00; I raise my paddle and get

the bid. The computer proxy bids to $500.00 for you. I get the next bid

increment and win the auction at $550.00.

If you look at the progress of the auction, you can see that the

computer will be unable to bid up to your last absentee bid ($550). To

enter a higher bid on your behalf we would need to bid up to $600.00

which goes beyond your maximum bid.

Again, the auctioneer is always in full control of which bids are

accepted. The auctioneer will call the first bid they see or hear. For

example, if a floor bidder catches the attention of the auctioneer

before the clerk calls the Internet bid, the floor bidder will win. This

is part of the excitement of a live auction event.

What did ever one win!

Looks like I won:

Startling Terror Tales #12 CGC 8.5 Bethlehem (highest CGC) - cool L.B. Cole cover

House of Mystery #137 CGC 9.4 (highest CGC)

Spellbound #11 CGC 9.0 Bethlehem (highest CGC)

Spellbound #29 CGC 8.5 Bethlehem (highest CGC)

Spellbound #30 CGC 9.0 Bethlehem (highest CGC)

Chamber of Darkness #1 CGC 9.4 Pacific Coast

Chamber of Darkness #4 CGC 9.4 Pacific Coast

and one junk book........

X-Men #1 CGC 8.0 (no pedigree and not even close to the highest graded copy). grin.gif

I really wanted the Tales to Astonish #35 in CGC 9.0 (second Ant-Man, first in custome) even though I have a CGC 8.0. juggle.gif

Regarding the BSD, something just slapped me in the face! cool.gif

Is anyone else having problems accessing the Heritage website this am? I was high bidder on at least one lot after the end of internet bidding, but I haven't been able to get on there this morning to check my bid... mad.gif

Seems to be working fine now.

I actually think there were some decent deals on certain books. But I pretty much paid what I expected to pay on the books that I really wanted.

I haven't been able to log on for two days, same problem, if I can gain access, then invalid user. I called to try and get signed up for the phone access, but no luck, they said "sorry". Here I sit with $15k I had hoped to use to buy several books. If I consigned in this auction I would be pissed! This may be the last time I do a Heritage Auction given these problems.

I was really interested in a page of artwork. Tried repeatedly to bid $600 and couldn't get a bid in. It ended at $408. Guess I shouldn't wait for the last minute, but for some reason I have trouble trusting them. 893frustrated.gif

I was really interested in a page of artwork. Tried repeatedly to bid $600 and couldn't get a bid in. It ended at $408. Guess I shouldn't wait for the last minute, but for some reason I have trouble trusting them.

I know how you feel, but I have won many books below my maximum price, that I put in hours before time expired. But with bigger ticket items, I do try to bid in the last five minutes.