• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just re-read my valiant books

20 posts in this topic

Recently i streamlined my collection. I kept most of my valiant stuff since its not all in tpb form and not worth too much anyway. I had never read most of shadowman, but i loved the idea. Last couple of days i read 1-36. Enjoyed all but about 3 issues. I really enjoy the voodoo approach, esp issue 0 and the yearbook. Unlike a lot of valiant titles, later issues are just as enjoyable to me. Ishmael makes a great villain. And throughout the run, shadowman had nice covers and good artwork. Same goes for magnus, robot fighter. I enjoyed it until around issue 40. Enjoyed the last issue and the predator/nexus spin offs. Also, i had never read the unity saga in entirety. Enjoyed that too.

Shadowman isn't one of the Valiant titles that people tend to enthuse about, but I thought it was consistently enjoyable and, from about no. 15 or so onwards, I could always find the new issue at a local comic mart for 50p - a very good, value-for-money read as well. (thumbs u

Bob Hall's Shadowman remained consistent and good to the end, because Bob Hall directed it. The rest of the line didn't fare as well.

Very true. And he got better as he went on. issues 21-23 + 0 & the yearbook were the highlight for me.

In my mind, I always recall the Aerosmith appearance in Shadowman as the shark-jumping moment for Valiant.

That was an obvious attempt to sell issues, but really the series was decent by then, and got better after.

I'm re-reading my Valiants as well. On Shadowman, I'm up to issue #25. It's the one Valiant run that has been good throughout. There were some lulls like the Aerosmith issue, but overall, it's all very well worth the read.

Things got really great in issue #10, but the earlier stuff is solid too. The #0 issues was phenomenal and wrapped into #1 really well.

Unity is not so good though. Unless you like reading the same 3-5 pages in 15 different issues.

In my mind, I always recall the Aerosmith appearance in Shadowman as the shark-jumping moment for Valiant.

That was an obvious attempt to sell issues, but really the series was decent by then, and got better after.

Not really a commentary on quality - more just the moment when the speculator bubble ended, like tulip futures in 1637.

Not really a commentary on quality - more just the moment when the speculator bubble ended, like tulip futures in 1637.

Marvel and DC also "jumped the shark" in a way about the same time.

Shadowman #19 (with Aerosmith) came out about the same time/month

as Wolverine #75 with hologram and Superman #82 with chromium.

Marvel and DC also "jumped the shark" in a way about the same time.

Shadowman #19 (with Aerosmith) came out about the same time/month

as Wolverine #75 with hologram and Superman #82 with chromium.

Yeah. The thing that imprinted on my mind was seeing stacks of these books, unsold and discounted, in stores for 2-3 years after. I'd say the Valiant/Shadowman book left the biggest impression, though, probably because Valiant was a major focus for speculators and the Johnny-come-lately bandwagon jumpers from the sports card boom/bust.

In defence of Valiant, the books/stories are going to stand the test of time much better than almost anything from that era, IMO. 2c

I enjoyed reading bloodshot for the first 10 issues. Figure i'll try the first 20. Not a whole lot to the character tho. I have solar 1-18 en route (still have the copy of #1 that i bought off the shelves). Im interested in that and eternal warrior. X-O manowar was good for about 35 issues, esp when aric goes back to his own time. Rai had some great covers.

I really wish someone would pick up where secret life of dr. mirage left off. Great title. Not too many titles with minority leads.

Just read the Rai and X-O manowar tradepaperbacks and they surprised me as to how well they read today, what a shame that nobody is doing anything new with these Valiant characters like Shadowman,Bloodshot,X-O,Harbinger and Rai! :(

Are you reading the current DarkHorse runs of Solar, Magnus, and Turok though?

They have been engaging reads thus far!

Just read the Rai and X-O manowar tradepaperbacks and they surprised me as to how well they read today, what a shame that nobody is doing anything new with these Valiant characters like Shadowman,Bloodshot,X-O,Harbinger and Rai! :(

Are the Dark Horse runs still coming out? I have yet to find them at my local comic shops.

Rai and X-O indeed still read well. Harbinger, which was my favorite back in the day, not so much. To my surprise, Magnus is actually the pre-unity title that reads the best today. Have you re-read it lately?

Unity is not so good though. Unless you like reading the same 3-5 pages in 15 different issues.

:o

That's it.

I'm mentioning this on the next podcast.

:sumo:

Ok. I'll be sure to listen to the next one when it comes out in 2013. Slackers. :whistle:

Are the Dark Horse runs still coming out? I have yet to find them at my local comic shops.

I dropped Solar after issue 3 or 4. It does not hold up well to the the first Valiant series.

Magnus is decent so far, but the artwork bites.

I have not read Turok yet so I can't comment

Rai and X-O indeed still read well. Harbinger, which was my favorite back in the day, not so much. To my surprise, Magnus is actually the pre-unity title that reads the best today. Have you re-read it lately?

If they haven't I have tons of the pre unity books raw and for sale in the sales forum. :gossip: They're cheap too.