• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAVORITE COMIC ARTIST POLL

FAVORITE ARTIST  

111 members have voted

1. 1. FAVORITE ARTIST

39 posts in this topic

Hello, Rob Liefeld? Only like the greatest artist ever.

...and you guys/gals think you know anything about comics. Who else draws a better eight foot woman and nails down those Michael Jackson noses (the post 1996 one) everytime.

I'll say my old favorites are Steranko, love those early SHIELD, Nick Fury Agent of.. covers and Adkins for his nifty Doctor Strange work.

New favorites...Deodato Jr., Horn, Mayhew, Granov's stuff...

CRC

On a serious note: Lou Fine, Dan Zolnerowich, Bernard Baily, L.B. Cole, Bernie Krigstein, Matt Baker, Will Eisner, Burne Hogarth, Milton Canniff, Joe Kubert, Graham Ingels, Steve Ditko, John Buscema, Jeff Jones, Michael Golden, Michael Zulli, Sim and Gerhard, and most of the names listed before (especially Jack Kirby, Wrightson, Kaluta, Steranko, Adams, Miller, Rogers and Smith).

Lot of good stuff out there. Disregard my previous batch - they were my least fave artists.

I voted for Neal!!! My other Faves:

Jack Kirby, Gene Colan,Bill Everett, Lou Fine, L. B. Cole,Murphy Anderson,Gil Kane,Wally Wood,Steve Ditko, Frank Frazetta & Alex Schomburg cloud9.gif

Jim Lee, Campbell, Michael Turner confused-smiley-013.giffrown.gif Where's the love ...

When ONE of those guys can draw a woman with anatomically correct femurs, call me. The boobs as big as basketballs? Fine. The calves as long as my legs? Fine. The women those guys draw would break their femurs and hips at every step. sign-rantpost.gif

Jim Lee, Campbell, Michael Turner confused-smiley-013.giffrown.gif Where's the love ...

When ONE of those guys can draw a woman with anatomically correct femurs, call me. The boobs as big as basketballs? Fine. The calves as long as my legs? Fine. The women those guys draw would break their femurs and hips at every step. sign-rantpost.gif

Artists who drew women best: John Romita Sr., Matt Baker, Milo Manara, Frank Cho, Barry Smith and Robert Crumb (???).

Other artists who deserve a mention: Frank Quitely, Bryan Hitch, Gene Ha, Art Adams, Geof Darrow, Alex Maleev, Tim Bradstreet, Mark Chiarello, Dave Gibbons (for Watchmen) Brian Bolland and in the best inker category - Terry Austin and Klaus Janson.

Out of all of 'em, I'll go with Wrightson.

Well that list is a no brainer, even though I dint vote for him Adams willl win, you need about 15 artists to have a credible reading IMO.

from the BA SA, GA and then someone might give Neal a run........ Kirby?

Artists who drew women best: John Romita Sr., Matt Baker, Milo Manara, Frank Cho, Barry Smith and Robert Crumb (???).

I guess if you like 'em big boned.... 27_laughing.gif

Well, Crumb did...........

ba2.jpg

He liked them gargantuan. How on earth did he get away with that title?

Underground comix were supposedly only sold to "mature readers"...this was a rather tame title as compared to others of the genre... wink.gif

Underground comix were supposedly only sold to "mature readers"...this was a rather tame title as compared to others of the genre... wink.gif

I bet my 7th grade english teacher still has my copy of Zap #1..(don't know if it was a first print or not)....he took it away from me back in 1976..... frown.gif

You're referring to S. Clay Wilson's the "Chequered Demon" (or anything else he did) not to mention the works of Spain Rodriguez and several other reprobates.

The thing about Crumb was that his primary intent was not to shock or push the envelope (like some of the others) but to bare his soul, amongst other things. For some reason that in-yer-face humanity was more lurid than the other freakshows of that era.

I'm a big fan of his btw.

Don't forget the women of Richard Corben and Boris Vallejo. Amazon godesses in the Frazetta mold. Colan draws the female form well, too.

Don't forget the women of Richard Corben and Boris Vallejo. Amazon godesses in the Frazetta mold. Colan draws the female form well, too.

Corben was a good artist but a bit over the top in terms of anatomy. Colan's a good pick - his version of Black Widow was mighty fine.