• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Box Diving

31 posts in this topic

:hi:

Figured I would post a thread seeking information/advice. Essentially, I have a comic store that is changing their focus to a more pop culture format. The plus side is that they are running a hell of a sale :cloud9: The down side is ultimately less comic book availability in town.

Most of their stock is moderns within the last ten years or so. I am NOT a modern guy and was looking for pointers on smart books to pick up for at $1 to cover price. Not looking for reading suggestions (Trades and Omnibis are 60% off and have picked up plenty of good stuff). Instead I am picking up good buys with the eye towards having a sales thread to fund the stuff I am keeping for myself.

Someone beat me to the Chews and Wlking Dead books (which I always see talked about). However, I landed the first ten issues of Futurama, the first eight issues of Grimm's Fairy Tales (just the plain jane, first print covers :devil: ), a couple Turner variant covers, and Birds of Prey 1 and 8 for cover price or less :whee: Any suggestions on fair prices for these books? eBay seems overly focused on BIN listings and prices seem a little high :juggle:

More importantly :cool: , what else should I look for? Any titles or issues you would snap up in a heartbeat? Pickings are getting slimmer, but thought I would make one more run through the long boxes before it is all said and done :wishluck:

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions :)

Did not think to check on Y the last man (and I grabbed a Preacher 2 for a buck along with a few Sandman books for myself, so I was thinking vertigo :doh: )

Locke and Key and Echo I have no idea about, but will gladly look for...any issues in particular to seek out? (he tends to be light on variants though).

Buffy/Spike/Angel books filled at least a long box, so I know I will have luck there. Seemed to be a good amount to flip through. Any issues, runs, or mini-series strike you as smart books to grab?

Many thanks for the advice (worship)

Doing awesome thanks!

Not being an active modern reader and having little interest in superhero comics, I would look for some interesting looking independents to try out.

First arc of Locke & Key (Welcome to Lovecraft) Joe Hill/Gabriel Rodriguez. TV show coming out this Fall - book values are rising.

(thumbs u

Figure I will make a cheat sheet through today and tommorrow morning and head in to check things out Weds. after work to see if anything is left :wishluck:

Can't go wrong with Y The Last Man, imo.

Yep...excellent read...picked up a few trades of that, as well as the complete TPB run of Lucifer at almost 2/3 of cover :ohnoez:

Now just need to see if they have any Y back issues to flip to help fund this massive spending spree I have been on there lol

These covers are the first arc (set I recently sold):

L-Kset.jpg

These are commanding high price in 9.8 (variants) #1 signed copy (gold foil round signed stamp) and Welcome to Lovecraft Special Edition variant:

LKsignedF001.jpg

LockeKeySpecEdVar1F.jpg

AND make sure you know the difference between a first and second print, which you can distinguish without opening the cover... second prints have a "red" eye... There are only second prints for issues #1, 2 and 3.

Redeye.jpg

More importantly :cool: , what else should I look for? Any titles or issues you would snap up in a heartbeat?

The Goon

100 Bullets (great reading, not so great on collectibility)

late-run issues of The Maxx

Locke & Key

These covers are the first arc (set I recently sold):

L-Kset.jpg

These are commanding high price in 9.8 (variants) #1 signed copy (gold foil round signed stamp) and Welcome to Lovecraft Special Edition variant:

LKsignedF001.jpg

LockeKeySpecEdVar1F.jpg

AND make sure you know the difference between a first and second print, which you can distinguish without opening the cover... second prints have a "red" eye... There are only second prints for issues #1, 2 and 3.

Redeye.jpg

VERY helpful... :foryou:

Y: The Last Man, Preacher, and Bone are all popular series, BUT be careful.

Single digit issues sell well, but the later issues usually only sell for $1 by themselves, so not a great flip. UNLESS you can pick up a run of issues. The run doesn't have to be complete, but you need a bunch of them to get people to bite. 2c

Invinicible is another book to add to that category.

Branget listed Echo. There is more than one comic called Echo out there. I believe the one he's talking about is the one by Terry Moore. It'll have Terry Moore's name on the cover. That's a cool series. (thumbs u

More importantly :cool: , what else should I look for? Any titles or issues you would snap up in a heartbeat?

The Goon

100 Bullets (great reading, not so great on collectibility)

late-run issues of The Maxx

Locke & Key

Y: The Last Man, Preacher, and Bone are all popular series, BUT be careful.

Single digit issues sell well, but the later issues usually only sell for $1 by themselves, so not a great flip. UNLESS you can pick up a run of issues. The run doesn't have to be complete, but you need a bunch of them to get people to bite. 2c

Invinicible is another book to add to that category.

Branget listed Echo. There is more than one comic called Echo out there. I believe the one he's talking about is the one by Terry Moore. It'll have Terry Moore's name on the cover. That's a cool series. (thumbs u

And more kudos to additional helpful boardies...my thanks :whee:

To this point, I figure the best books I have landed is the mini-run of Grimm's 1-8 and the Birds of Prey 8...anyone seen recent price points on those? I have GPA, but these are just raw NMs for the most part...do not have the skill in me to differentiate at the really high grades :cry: