• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The New Guy. posted by Dark Knight Ops

4 posts in this topic

Have you ever thought to yourself when you first started collecting "What am I getting myself into?"....

Have you ever thought to yourself when you first started collecting "What am I getting myself into?".... I've never liked being the new guy (but who really does?). I've just started collecting BATMAN (1940s)comics and love it so far.

In the course of two months I've managed to collect issues 400-708 (which is the current issue). As I reach the lower numbers I have learned that this is where it really turns into a different type of "game". My goal is to eventually collect all of the Batman (1940s) comics and hopefully be able to get the key issues graded.

I should be trying to go slow and take my time with collecting but whenever I'm buying someplace I just want to get them all. lol

So my many props are given to all of you that have been collecting for a long time. If you have any tips for me please feel free to help out! I hope to learn more from you all.

DARK KNIGHT OPS

See more journals by Dark Knight Ops

I've been working on a complete Batman run for many years. I guess I never really thought I'd ever finish it, so I never worried too much. I just keep plugging away at the keys when I find them for a good price. The non-keys always roll around, sooner or later, for a much better deal. And, after all these years, I'm actually getting close to the end. My only mistake was not getting a # 1 when it was within my budget. I passed on one missing a back cover for $3700 and I've regretted that ever since. So my advice would be to buy a first issue as fast as you can. I'd also recommend buying pre-Robin Detectives before paying a lot for Batman issues under # 100.

Hello New Guy......

Ah the pitfalls of collecting....look at all those back issues...and at only 2 to 3 dollars a piece i can get so much more. This is a good quick way to get many books but may i suggest, and this is only a suggestion. Start with key books. Why you ask.... go ahead ask why..I'll wait...not going to are you...ah there you go, thank you. I will tell you why. Key books keep increasing in price. I am not a Batman fan....WAIT... keep reading.

I enjoy the character but as far as collecting it is not for me. There are a few books I would love to have but as far as collecting he is just a man in a suit. I can wear a suit, maybe not with ears, and it is a three piece suit, I got a very good price on it....anyway I digress. The books you are picking up now are cheap, they will stay cheap. Find them at conventions. The key books...do your research Figure out what out want to pay and in what grade.

If you look at my page you will see what I collect in CGC. For a great many years I collected batman. I think my first issue of my collection, not the first issue I got was Detective Comics #598...or #498, damn age. Of course this all takes a back burner to buying what you want. Hope I helped, Have fun and welcome to the Registry...any misspelled words or improper grammar structure is your fault....hey always blame the new guy.

Tnerb....

....I already sent this directly to the "new Guy" but figured why no post it here to....I need more posts.

Thank you for the advice and I have definitely taken it into consideration! I completely understand that the first thing should be key issues and then move onto the cheaper stuff (if I chose too). I have spent a good amount of money collecting those back issues that aren't really key when it could have gone to the good stuff.

Besides ComicConnect,ComicLink, and Ebay where are some good places I can pretty much get the good stuff without having to have a bidding war with the champions of collecting? And those comics that are cheap will they always stay cheap or eventually increase in value as time passes even if they aren't key issues??